Passage aboard a Ship & TAS Membership

George Kelln

Banded Mongoose
Traveller collective;

The cost to travel ranges from 1 to 6 Parsecs; what if the distance travelled is greater than 6 Parsecs?

For example a Traveller wants to travel 30 Parsecs aboard a Subsided Liner (Jump = 3 Parsec) in Middle Class.

Q1. Does the Traveller buy one ticket aboard said ship for Cr15,000? or
Q2. Does the Traveller by 10 tickets (each 3 Parsecs and cost Cr15,000) for a total of Cr150,000?
Q3. What does he or she do?

Regarding a TAS Membership: Every two months, it pays dividends in the form of one high passage to each member. This passage may be used, retained or sold. High Passage costs range from Cr8500 for 1 Parsec to Cr470000 for 6 Parsecs Travelled.

Side Note: The 6 Parsec ticket price of Cr470,000 is very large jump from the 5 Parsec ticket price 45,000; I assume that this difference is similar to the difference between a ticket on a Boeing 747 and a Space X into orbit.

A Traveller with a TAS membership wants to sell this High Passage.

Q1. Does the Traveller try to find someone travelling on a ship with the longest Jump capability and sell him the ticket? Meaning that same Subsidized Liner as above is leaving to a system 3 Parsecs away (Price Cr20,000) oppose to another Liner only travelling 2 Parsec (Cr12,000).

Q2. Does the Traveller try to find some travelling 30 Parsecs and sell him the High Passage ticket (30x Cr20,000) = Cr600,000.

I have made the call, but would like hear from other on what they did or what they think of these questions.

Cheers

George

George Kelln said:
The cost to travel ranges from 1 to 6 Parsecs; what if the distance travelled is greater than 6 Parsecs?
Per jump, otherwise the prices don't work.

George Kelln said:
For example a Traveller wants to travel 30 Parsecs aboard a Subsided Liner (Jump = 3 Parsec) in Middle Class.

Q1. Does the Traveller buy one ticket aboard said ship for Cr15,000? or
Q2. Does the Traveller by 10 tickets (each 3 Parsecs and cost Cr15,000) for a total of Cr150,000?
10 tickets for jump-3 each.

George Kelln said:
Regarding a TAS Membership: Every two months, it pays dividends in the form of one high passage to each member. This passage may be used, retained or sold.
I, unimaginatively, use the usual Cr 10 000 from earlier editions.

George Kelln said:
Side Note: The 6 Parsec ticket price of Cr470,000 is very large jump from the 5 Parsec ticket price 45,000; I assume that this difference is similar to the difference between a ticket on a Boeing 747 and a Space X into orbit.
It is supposedly based on actual cost with the current ship design system. I can't agree, the difference shouldn't be that large.

I would presume that the TAS ticket vouchers are for a jump-1 transit. So, if you want to jump further you would have to sell the ticket, probably to varying prices on the open market—or maybe the TAS offers a buy-back option for 60-80 percent of the value? Then the traveller would have to buy the ticket he actually needs, i. e. a jump-3 ticket.

Maybe the high price for a J-6 ticket is based on availability of J-6 transport. I doubt there’s many civilian liners with J-6 capability.

Linwood said:
Maybe the high price for a J-6 ticket is based on availability of J-6 transport. I doubt there’s many civilian liners with J-6 capability.

That's a fair point but I don't recall seeing many J% liners either. It does seem to be heck of a jump for both passengers and freight. I honestly thought it was a typo at first

Note that this leaves a potentially very profitable niche.

Take something like this ship:
1000 Dt, J-6, M-2, 12 High Passengers, MCr 420:
TczcBwb.png

Find a couple of HiPop world at J-6 distance, jump back and forth making several MCr per jump...

There's more to this than just capability, the infrastructure to maintain it, as well.

We built the Concorde, but Jumbos were more economic, if slower.

Now, wide body twinjets, supported by narrow body twinjets.

With eighty percent Mach being the optimum speed.

Back