Paranoia Canon

Clangador

Mongoose
Is there an canon as far as where the Alpha Complex is located on Earth? I assume it's on Earth. I guess it could be kind of funny to have the Alpha Complex on the moon.

Canon is revised on a regular basis. Please note that using depreciated canon material is treasonous, citizen. We have always been at war with Oceania.

Mongoose Gar said:
Canon is revised on a regular basis. Please note that using depreciated canon material is treasonous, citizen. We have always been at war with Oceania.

Whazzat? :?: :?: :?:

Allen Varney said:
Gareth refers to a famous line from George Orwell's novel 1984, a seminal influence on PARANOIA.

I've never read it, bot, of course, I've heard about it. Perhap I should read it, and add it to my collection of SF books.

For good PARANOIA reading try:

1984 by George Orwell
Memoirs Found in a Bathtub by Stanislaw Lem
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

That'll give you a good grounding to work from in expanding your visions of what Alpha Complex might be like.

FWIW: In previous versions, Alpha Complex was built out of San Francisco. I don't believe XP has placed it anywhere.

Parody said:
FWIW: In previous versions, Alpha Complex was built out of San Francisco. I don't believe XP has placed it anywhere.

That's interesting.

I'm thinking abouyt getting my Alpha Complex on the moon. Let the players go outside and it should freak them out to see the Earth up in the sky.

Alpha complex can be anywhere. I freaked by players out by having them walk out of the complex on to a high wooded ledge on a beautiful spring day. Then Teddybotski turned up with his flame throwers! :twisted:

Clangador said:
Is there an canon as far as where the Alpha Complex is located on Earth? I assume it's on Earth. I guess it could be kind of funny to have the Alpha Complex on the moon.
That could work, but I always thought the Alpha Complex was located several miles beneath the surface of good ol' Terra Firma. Then again, I also see no reason why it couldn't be on the ocean floor or the surface of Mars. Now let's see the PCs figure a way out of THAT.

The troubleshooters climb up through miles of forgotten tunnels into a lush, green, paradise. As they wander into the distance, someone walks into the wall of the biodome - the holographic field shudders and dies, and they stare out onto the barren landscape. Luckily one of them brought along the portable meal heater they were testing on this mission which always malfunctions drastically and produces a flame that will cut through anything. As they cut through the side of the dome, the air begins to hiss away...

mthomason said:
The troubleshooters climb up through miles of forgotten tunnels into a lush, green, paradise. As they wander into the distance, someone walks into the wall of the biodome - the holographic field shudders and dies, and they stare out onto the barren landscape. Luckily one of them brought along the portable meal heater they were testing on this mission which always malfunctions drastically and produces a flame that will cut through anything. As they cut through the side of the dome, the air begins to hiss away...

And you're talking a wasted Earth or another planet?

There is no hard and fast rule where Alpha Complex is. Some people picture it as entirely underground (think "A Boy and His Dog"), others picture it as a giant dome (think "Logan's Run").

I've always preferred the irony that "Outside" is really a very nice happy place, utopian even. Much nicer than "inside". The problem is friend Computer is too paranoid to allow it's citizens to go free range.

That said, feel free to do whatever works for your players. Locate it near St. Helens, tell the players a wall in LVA sector is unusually warm, ask them to investigate...

MarkIV said:
There is no hard and fast rule where Alpha Complex is. Some people picture it as entirely underground (think "A Boy and His Dog"), others picture it as a giant dome (think "Logan's Run").

I've always preferred the irony that "Outside" is really a very nice happy place, utopian even. Much nicer than "inside". The problem is friend Computer is too paranoid to allow it's citizens to go free range.

That said, feel free to do whatever works for your players. Locate it near St. Helens, tell the players a wall in LVA sector is unusually warm, ask them to investigate...

That would put the AC right in my area.

Back