Paints...

Rob_A

Mongoose
Right, Im looking to expand my paints even more so I have just that little bit less mixing.

I have only ever really experimented with artists (thin) acrylic and GW paints (of all types).

I have found thatthe artists ones I were using looked awful without a varnish, then they look quite good. But I would prefer to be using them for what it is intended. The GW current paints arent bad. I find the only problems are the thinner primary colours (yellow and red mostly) require a few layers over white and a dramatic buildup over black (brown-red, brown-yellow, about 6 layers at least) for a vibrant finish. I discovered that the older flip-tops (white lids) were better for this, yellow still neds to go over mid-brown or white, but the red can just go over scab/crimson red.

Anyway, I am looking for some nice paints. I have heard the following things:

Reaper master series (is that right?): similar to GW, maybe a little less thick, good for blending.

Vallejo: The fine detail lovers dream, very thin, major disadvantage is amount of shaking required.

Coat d' arms: Old GW paints basically, very nice.

P3 (privateer press' new paints): Very nice, best on the market now, less layering required for a clean colour, so very good pigment.

Rackham: Thicker than GW paints by far, require one hell of a lot of watering down, REAL acrylic. But they have amazing pastel colours and flurorescent colours (oooooh).

Miniaures paints: Can come out glossy sometimes, so requires watering down, mixing and some removal of oil, very good pigmentation.

I think thats it. Please add more facts and correct me if Im wrong, UK prices and availablity would be nice. Right now Im most tempted by coat d'arms and P3.

You might want to take a look at the Revell acrylics. Good range of military colours (including a grey/green great for Brakiri). I'd say the paint is a little better in quality than GW stuff. Avoid the Tamiya acrylic range like the plague. Stuff's like water.

Back