Painting tips for Engine Nozzles

angelus2000

Mongoose
I consider myself a fair painter, not likely to win any painting contests mind you, but enough to get a few "oohs" and "aahs" on occasion. I finished up a full 3rd Age EA fleet in the last few days, working on the horde o' fighters to go with them.

Took me a long time to get them they way I want them to look.... except for the engine nozzles. I tried a half-dozen times to get the technique down but their consistently crappy looking. I know which colors I want to use, just can't seem to get them painted the right way.

Take an Omega for example. I know its supposed to be pure white in the center, fading outwards to a very light blue. Its the fading part thats defeating me.

Any tips on how to get that fade to come out right?

OK, I do mine in reverse - heavy blue to the recessed bit, but it should work if you dry the mini the other way up.

So, paint the inside of the engine white. Heavily water down some pale blue (e.g. GWs Ice Blue) until its the consistency of milk and apply to the engines. Stand the ship nose up to dry so gravity helps pool the paint at the edges of the engine.

It's a hot-looking orange that's not super bright. Without taking pictures on my battery-less digital camera, it's hard to say. I'll look into posting pics of my crappy ships, through.

Dark Angel

They are for sale, not sure where though. Look for a store that carries Privateer Press products and ask them. I'm a fan of the whole line, but it gets questionable with the metallics (like every other line I've tried).

Dark Angel

Back