P&P Errata

The Mind Scream happens immediately when the Shadow ship moves within 6" of a psychic enemy, i.e. as a result of the Shadow ship's move. I'd say that if someone else moves to within 6" of the Shadow ship, the Mind Scream is not triggered - if the Psi Corps moves half a dozen Shadowcloaks to within 6" of a Shadow ship, the Shadow does not get to scream at all of them!

Staying where you are is effectively a move of 0". ;) Basically, I'd guess that the scream happens when the Shadow ship is nominated to move, whether it actually moves or not. (If you really want to be pedantic and insist that the ship moves, I'll just move it 0.01". :D)

My question: if a Shadow ship has been pinned, can it still do Mind Scream? This comes back to the question asked in another thread, can a pinned Shadow ship be nominated during the movement phase? Given that the fluff reason for pinning is the pain caused by a strong beam strike, it is pretty certain that the ship will be screaming, so are nearby psychics still affected by it?

You have answered your own question.

AdrianH said:
I'd say that if someone else moves to within 6" of the Shadow ship, the Mind Scream is not triggered

If it cannot move because it is pinned, it cannot trigger the scream.

Actually what I meant there was that the Mind Scream happens when the Shadow ship is nominated to move, not when an enemy is nominated.

Presumably you're saying that the Shadow ship does have to move in order to scream, which means if it's already close to an enemy and wants to scream at it again, it has to move 0.01". If it can't even do that because it's pinned, it can't scream even though it's in agony and really ought to be screaming louder than usual...

Returning to the topic of multiple targets, what happens if the Shadow ship moves close to a squadron of ships so that it has simultaneously moved to within 6" of several of them - can it then scream at all those now within 6", or just pick one?

Yes. I think the scream is an action (and so cannot be done if the shadow is pinned or telpathically disrupted).

Do we see a shadow ship in the show scream when pinned?

A single shadow ship can cause crew loss in multiple ships. Drop an ancient ship out of hyperspace on top of a bunch of shadow cloaks and watch them all curl up and die!

AdrianH said:
If it can't even do that because it's pinned, it can't scream even though it's in agony and really ought to be screaming louder than usual...

But it's more of an "Aaaaaaaaaaaarggghhhh" kind scream of pain.. And not the intimidating, nightmarish shriek of dread akin to that of a Nazgul.. :wink:

I really want to play a campaign of terror, but there is a couple of things I'm not sure of.

1. Say the defender wins a battle. Next turn there is a role for initiative, and the defender wins, and gets to search for the raider's base. Say he searches a planet, and it's not there, what happens then? Is it the end of the campaign turn? Or does the turn structure revert to the raiders getting to do their thing.

The book says what to do if the defending player is successful, but is a bit vague about what happens if he fails.

2. When that initiative role is made, does it follow the rules as written in the main rule book, with the players applying their respective fleet modifiers, and the defender having a -1 penalty for every strategic target he owns?

If this is the case I can't see the certain fleets every really having much chance of finding the base, let alone attacking it.

eg. Abbai defending against a basic raider fleet. On the first turn they win the game, and claim a target. At the start of turn two an initiative role is made, with the raiders at +2 and the Abbai at -4. (their fleet init of -2, and -1 for the settled world they start with, and -1 for the target they got at the end of the first turn)

It gets worse if the raiding fleet is something like Centauri, or heaven help the defender, the shadows.

If we play this campaign we have concidered ignoring fleet modifiers, and the -1 for each stratigic target when it comes to the campaign turn init role. I think it would make for a more exciting campaign.

3. It doesn't mention what happens, but I'm assuming that if the defender kills off the whole raider fleet, even before the base is found, that he wins.

1: I'd assumed that the defender searches for the base and fails, then the turn ends. The other possibility would be to proceed to a normal battle but now the defender, having won initiative, is the attacker.

2: In a normal campaign the -1 penalty for owning strategic targets is fair since both sides can own targets. In Campaign of Terror, only the defender can own targets and gaining them is inevitable, so I'd drop the penalty.

For fleet modifiers, one compromise would be that initiative is rolled whoever won the last battle, the +2 bonus to the attacker always applies, but fleet modifiers only apply if the attacker won the last battle. I wouldn't use this as a general rule but it might help even things out a bit if the attacker has a high fleet bonus - especially Shadows!

3: That would be my guess as well. It's a standard campaign rule which is not contradicted by anything in the Campaign of Terror rules. Likewise, if the attacker actually manages to wipe out the defending fleet then it's game over.

Thanks for your reply :)

I talked it over with the guys in my group, and we thought that ignoring the fleet modifier (but not the 2+) for the campaign turn init role, but keeping it for the in game roles wouldn't be too unbalancing. This might change after we give it a try :lol:

An option we thought about for the defender searches and fails question was, after the search failed, to just revert to a normal turn, with the raiders doing their thing. We felt this got across the feel that while the defender was looking, the raider was able to get up to no good somewhere else.

I totally agree with you about the -1 strat target penalty.

Shame we don't have an official errata to bring all this together. Now the licence has only hours left to run, I doubt we'll get anything more than fan corrections.

Hi all,
does anyone knows if it is still possible to donwload the "missing" page of P&P dealing with fighters at the end of the book ?
Thanks

Na-Po said:
Hi all,
does anyone knows if it is still possible to donwload the "missing" page of P&P dealing with fighters at the end of the book ?
Thanks

I didn't know there was any "missing" page to PnP, though there was the one-page clarification they published that had the updated Centauri Hunting Packs rule and a final paragraph for the Starfury vs Nial fluff section. Is that what you were referring to?

Cheers, Gary

Quick Powers and Principalities question:

We're starting a campaign soon, and the co-ordinator seems to think that the word 'single' in 'Breaking Down Fleet Allocation Points' on page 11 means only one point in your fleet can be broken down to multiple priority levels. I think he's wrong, but can't be bothered to argue with him. Does anyone know anything official or semi-official about this?

I'm posting this in two threads to increase my chances of a reply!

Back