[Origins rumour] Conan v2 to use RuneQuest! :D

Ravelli

Mongoose
A post in this thread at rpg.net reveals ...
Mongoose announced (or at least, were telling people who came by the booth) that Conan second edition will be Runequest, but they will not be reprinting all the sourcebooks; rather they'll release a complete and free update document online that will bring everything in line with the Runequest system (which they are also releasing under the OGL).
Supposedly this is straight from the mouth of Mongoose's own Alex Fennel and as yet there's been no official denial. It's already been raised on the Conan forum here.

This is potentially great news for those of you, like me, who love Conan but can't stomach d20 (hello, Colin! ;)).

That's risky. Current system has it's flaws, but it works. What is so groundbreaking in RQ to justify such radical changes? Is it worth making some of the already published material obsolete?

If it is true then its a good move. MRQ rules are ideal suited for the brutal Conan world.

Padre,
the groundbreaking in RQ is that it is a simpler, more realistic and much better system than d20. :D

And I doubt that the already published material becomes obsolete. One can always use the background and adventure ideas of conan 1st ed.

Enpeze said:
And I doubt that the already published material becomes obsolete. One can always use the background and adventure ideas of conan 1st ed.

True, but we pay for the whole content of each sourcebook - rules and background. New rules mean a part of each book becomes worthless. And what about Hyboria's Fallen, Fiercest and Finest? These books are heavily tied to the current system. They are not even a year old and if Mongoose confirms the RQ thing, who's going to buy them?

Ravelli said:
A post in this thread at rpg.net reveals ...
Mongoose announced (or at least, were telling people who came by the booth) that Conan second edition will be Runequest, but they will not be reprinting all the sourcebooks; rather they'll release a complete and free update document online that will bring everything in line with the Runequest system (which they are also releasing under the OGL).
Supposedly this is straight from the mouth of Mongoose's own Alex Fennel and as yet there's been no official denial. It's already been raised on the Conan forum here.

This is potentially great news for those of you, like me, who love Conan but can't stomach d20 (hello, Colin! ;)).

If it's true that is great news. Hopefully we'll get some official confirmation soon.

Padre-True, but we pay for the whole content of each sourcebook - rules and background. New rules mean a part of each book becomes worthless. And what about Hyboria's Fallen, Fiercest and Finest? These books are heavily tied to the current system. They are not even a year old and if Mongoose confirms the RQ thing, who's going to buy them?

Thats right in, but IMO only as a theorie. In practice I buy often books just because of interesting background stories, maps and other artwork material I can copy and use in my own homebrewn stories. But of course I can understand your concern. Maybe you can see this as a kind of trade off. You loose some pages with d20 stats and win a much better game system which is able to portray the brutal world of conan in the way howard would see it.

I'd have to say that any negative aspects would be outweighed by the positives for me. I almost wept when I learned Conan was D20, but I still grit my teeth and bought it.

Now if v2 was MRQ-based...HECK! we might even PLAY it!!

:D

- Q

AND THERE WAS GREAT REJOICING IN THE STREETS AS THE BENIGHTED MULTITUDE GAVE THANKS TO THE MIGHTY GOD MONGOOSE MATT AND ALL HIS ANGELS... :D :lol: :wink: :p

Big deal, I've been using RQ in the Hyborian kingdoms for 10+ years... :wink: No really, this is good news.

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
GREAT, I am so not a fan of the D20 system!
Amen to that, brother.

D20 bashing aside, I'd like to get some official confirmation before I bring out the champagne.

Matthew?

A bold choise!

It's somewhat risky, but there can be big gains. I'm sure even the US is full of gamers (and GM's) that are sick to death of D&D. Also it will help Mongoose to have their own thing going, and not be tied to d20 material so much.

D20 Conan is the first D20 game which I have really enjoyed.

That said, I am all for a RQ Conan. I have always loved the BRP system, and after reading the previews for Mongoose RQ, I think it would be a great fit for Conan.

I'm going to wait for confirmation before I dance around like a giggling schoolgirl.

Hee, true. I had a chuckle at the fact that the OP wasn't commenting on any official confirmation, but instead was commenting that there's been no official denial yet. Wishful thinking? :)

I think Mongoose just made my week! This is fantastic news! One of the things I loved about OGL Conan was that the changes made to D20 combat made it "feel" like RQ combat, so you can only imagine how excited I am-Jeezus its hard to type when you're grinning, innit? :D

I do hope that they consider it. Still keep the d20 Conan going but have a MRQ Conan as well.

Sell more books that way me thinks?

Back