Origin of Sentience for jump space

CT S7, p9 (Look under crew):
View attachment 1506
Yeah, I think we're all fairly certain it crept in after CT, and given vampire ships, after TNE almost for sure (unless 'fully sentient, aka conscious intelligence negates the restriction). It could be an obscure reference in some odd adventure. Given the lack of m-drive, 'pilot' seems like an essentially unnecessary skill or position.

I think most importantly, wherever it crept in, it is a transplant from Niven that makes no sense at all given the accepted model for how J-Space works in Traveller. Unless you're choosing some alternate tech for your own campaign, of course.

This is something I'll just ignore as out of step with the rest of the line.

J

I seem to remember reading something psionic related that mentioned the need for brains for Jump travel. Future tech research combining the two leads to Jump distance being increased. 36 hexes max rings a bell. But I am currently looking through my books and cannot find that passage.

... I bet it most recently started with Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda.
You had to have a sentient pilot to stand in the studio holding on to the prop platform while staring as the blank screen and pretending there's a bunch of pretty pretty lights showing like you're on drugs or something. Plus one of you's purple, and one of you is the odious Kevin Sorbo.
And there was a guy who was totally Jason Momoa before Jason Momoa, and he never leveraged that into a lifetime of hair product endorsements and the lead role in Aquaman.
But yeah, you had to be sentient to pilot FTL in Andromeda. Or play the role of someone who is.

That absolutely NEVER made any sense to me. A gravity well that can keep planetoids and planetesimals in orbit more than a light year out, but you can't use your M-Drive on a jaunt to Pluto. No. Just. No.
I saw the rule in a Challenge magazine a couple days ago (I bought the pdfs). It states that the issue is solved by TL 11.

I saw the rule in a Challenge magazine a couple days ago (I bought the pdfs). It states that the issue is solved by TL 11.
That's the difference between agrav and "thruster plates" ≈ M-drive in MT; agrav is limited, thruster plates available at TL-11 are not.
MT RM, p65:
Skärmavbild 2023-12-25 kl. 19.10.png

MR RM, p56:
The second major breakthrough is artificial gravlty. Created by manipulating subatomic forces, artificial gravity is not anti- gravity but is instead a unique force that acts upon the natural gravity field created by all matter. Artificial gravity can be made to either push or pull. Because of its nature, artificial gravity is not a very efficient means of locomotion in deep space where there are no strong gravity wells to push against
The fourth significant development came from the search for a starship maneuver drive that did not lose efficiency when away from a strong gravity well. Artificial gravity and damper technology led to yet another sub-atomic force-based technology. This new, artificially generated force pushes against a vessel's "thrust plates" themselves, which make true reactionless thrusters a reality for starship-sized vessels.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think we're all fairly certain it crept in after CT, and given vampire ships, after TNE almost for sure (unless 'fully sentient, aka conscious intelligence negates the restriction). It could be an obscure reference in some odd adventure. Given the lack of m-drive, 'pilot' seems like an essentially unnecessary skill or position.
This is the quote from T5:

"The Imperial express boat system carries government, business, and personal messages across the empire with high efficency and relatively low cost. Links in the route are 2-, 3-, 4-, and occasionally 5-parsecs. Pilot/astrogators are selected primarily for their astrogation skill: to guarantee
successful jumps every time."

I don't know that those actually exist because the publicly known X-boats are all Jump 4. I think any Jump 5 links are sekret imperial squirrel boats.

T5 also has an amusing anecdote about a crew that finds an experimental hop drive and installs it on their ship. Which proves amusing because it is almost impossible to make the Astrogation check (14+ in Mongoose Traveller, probably worse in T5. Roll 11d6 under your Target Number, which'll be somewhere between 15 and 25 depending on your competence) and an experimental TL16 Hop Drive doesn't have a Jump Governor. So it always jumps 10 parsecs unless you can make an astrogation check to successfully hit an intervening sun or planet to drop you out of jumpspace early.

I don't know that those actually exist because the publicly known X-boats are all Jump 4. I think any Jump 5 links are sekret imperial squirrel boats.
I wouldn't be shocked, because the published Xboat routes in general don't make a lot of sense. There are worlds in sensitive locations, both on the Xboat network and within four parsecs of each other, that are ten vertices away from each other. Worse, the network itself is not connected - there are at least two sections that do not join with the main grid.

Back