Oriental Magic

MadDog

Mongoose
Do any of the expansion book have additional spells of the Oriental Magic school ?

Also, in creating spells, did the authors use material from only REH Conan stories, of Conan stories by any author ?

In "People of the Black Circle" is there a spell that covers what the Rakhshas used to kill Khemsa ?

"One of the rakhshas stepped forward and stamping his foot, and as he stamped, there came a rumbling that grew swiftly to a grinding roar. Where his foot struck, a crevice opened in the solid rock that widened instantly."

thanks,

Mad Dog

MadDog said:
Do any of the expansion book have additional spells of the Oriental Magic school ?

Also, in creating spells, did the authors use material from only REH Conan stories, of Conan stories by any author ?

In "People of the Black Circle" is there a spell that covers what the Rakhshas used to kill Khemsa ?

"One of the rakhshas stepped forward and stamping his foot, and as he stamped, there came a rumbling that grew swiftly to a grinding roar. Where his foot struck, a crevice opened in the solid rock that widened instantly."

thanks,

Mad Dog

Free Companies is the only supplemment so far (I don't have my books at hand) with additional oriental spells. But acording to the topic of the book they are more of the martial and strategic guide, i.e. suitable more for commanding officers than for adventuring characters.

MadDog said:

thanks,

Mad Dog

Ian Sturrock took the spells from the core book and Scrolls of Skelos from REH Conan stories. I believe Mr. Kalvar made up the spells in Free Companies and Pirate Isles himself. I haven't looked at the spells in Messantia in detail but I suspect they were created by the author as well. The other books in the line, which I wrote, have spells created by REH in non-Conan books, as well as a few pastiche spells I thought was appropriate.

Some examples of REH-based, non-Conan spells can be found in Across the Thunder River. Crimson Portents is based on the REH Bran Mak Morn story Kings of the Night. Dance of the Skull, Put Them Into The Swamp, and Call of Damballah come from the REH non-Conan story Black Canaan.

The Legions of the Dead spell in the article on Hyperborean Witchmen I wrote for Signs and Portents is based on an L. Sprague de Camp short story. The Bag of Demons spell in Across the Thunder River comes from L. Sprague de Camp's completion of REH's Wolves Beyond the Border.

Is there any interest in submitting spells or items from lets say, Conan and the Spider God ? I noticed maybe 3 spells/items that seemed fairly in style.

A Scholar question: If a scholar is an independant, does he have to roll to be able to pick the Spell Style he gets at first level ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

MadDog said:
A Scholar question: If a scholar is an independant, does he have to roll to be able to pick the Spell Style he gets at first level ?

No. Under the Independent description on page 58 it says you may get a random style/feature if you fai lthe DC15 check when you are to gain a new one. The initial style isn't "new", it's your starting style. Only gaining additional ones later is harder.

Now that's not to say you couldn't impose that as a further restriction. :wink:

Back