One book to rule them all...

Would you buy one consolidated rulebook for ACTA?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jhary said:
just a thought here, but are any of the "Babylon 5" outside the UK? I don't remember who was picked, but I'm thinking it might be nice to get a viewpoint from across the pond.
Yes there Gamers who are wondering what is going on. look on the T3 tournement list

I find the topic Babylon 5 in Germany very much abated. In the past was the topic more relevant beside Star Trek. We SCi-Fi Fans have it not easy....
I am really gladly which I to ACTA found finite, otherwise would have I mean favourite series to forget much to be able. I did not even know until one year ago it miniatures of B5 give.
Fortunately there is Internet. Dear God thanks. :p

All the rules in one would be excellent, if i've spent $US500 + on models i won't mind spending another $50 on rulebook to make my life easier. Don't mind if the fleets aren't in it.

wouldnt want another book this edition, doesnt bother me carrying the 3 i got, cheaper than buying another one for the same material but to try save me a little weight.

Shadow Queen said:
How about a V2 all in one book
Strangely enough, that's not going to happen.... :shock:

Most likely v2 will be in two books like the current boxed set, with a rules book and a fleet list book.

One thing i would like them to include in any new rulebooks is a page of definitions.
Simply a list of several key words, that clearly defines the meaning of each word as pertains to the rules.

This should cut down on the sillier kind of ruleslawyering that seems to bee focused on semantics and interpretations most of the time, such as precisely what is an attack in the contekst of the stealth rules.(my local group spent days on that one when we started playing.

The Eagle said:
One thing i would like them to include in any new rulebooks is a page of definitions.
Simply a list of several key words, that clearly defines the meaning of each word as pertains to the rules.

This should cut down on the sillier kind of ruleslawyering that seems to bee focused on semantics and interpretations most of the time, such as precisely what is an attack in the contekst of the stealth rules.(my local group spent days on that one when we started playing.

Yeah, I think Mongoose should take a look at the Warmachine, Hordes and BattleTech rulebooks, all of which have very well layed out glossaries and step-by-step guides to how the rules work, with examples and special case rules printed with the rules (as well as in their own section too)

Greg Smith said:
QAlthough the rule book will have some ships in, so that will be all you need to get started.

...so basically a repeat of some rules and ships in this book, some more ships and a few new rules in this book..etc. etc. :evil: Not happy with that!

Ok, I'll live with it but can Mongoose please consider releasing the daddy of all ACTA pdfs for V2 - happy to buy "updates" or chapters as we go along...

I voted a yes but with the following qualifications -

1) Please proofread it. No, seriously, actually proofread it. Mongoose's reputation in this regard is a joke now so make it right with this release.
2) Call this Version 2 and incorporate everything up to date as needed to make this the definitive ruleset.
3) Don't listen to the fanbase too much. No, really. Armageddon is out for a month or so and already there are calls for revisions and new versions of ships being posted in the in house magazine. I think Mongoose listen to the fans maybe too much with this line. All this does is suggest a lack of playtesting, so either playtest it more or release the book, then plan to release an ACTA annual each year and address any concerns which have come up in the interim. At least give us a stable ruleset to play with for a while. This more than anything is what puts me off this game at the moment, so if you're releasing the definitive version then make it definitive.
4) Make sure you release a nice counter set for all the ships in the game.

Let the flaming begin :D

Renny

I'd prefer to have to *many* updates then limited or none.

One thing that I like about Mongoose and Battlefront more then Gamesworkshop is that the designers frequent the forums, answer questions and update as necessary rather then close their ears and sing rules as written are perfect.

Though I agree Mongoose needs to work on playtesting, and proof reading.

Half the problem with play testing is the priority level makes it hard to do small changes on a ship- you can either double its effectiveness or half its effectiveness, or change a few AD here and there.

Strongly argue that priority level needs to be dropped, and switch over to a points based system (ie ship X is 123 points, ship y is 231 etc); with a priority limitation on larger ships (ie ship list would be more like battlefleet gothic; you can take one warlock for every 2 or 3 Omega/chronos/marathon/whatever).

Epaminondas said:
Strongly argue that priority level needs to be dropped, and switch over to a points based system (ie ship X is 123 points, ship y is 231 etc); with a priority limitation on larger ships (ie ship list would be more like battlefleet gothic; you can take one warlock for every 2 or 3 Omega/chronos/marathon/whatever).
Thankfully, there has been no sign whatsoever of any such gross mistake being made by Mongoose.

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
Epaminondas said:
Thankfully, there has been no sign whatsoever of any such gross mistake being made by Mongoose.

Wulf
Points are they way to go. It wouldn't matter how good a ships stats were because you would have to pay for it. It would just a case of having nice round numbers 5,0's so if you get a ship a fighter flight good fill the gap.
Even a handicap system could be introduced when if you are "x" points below your opponent you get a bonus to initiave.
It wouldn't make the game power gaming heaven as it's what it is now. Just look at ships like Prefect, & Tertius worth the same as a Centurion & Secundas just they varients.

There's nothing wrong with the PL system, it's purely a matter of balancing the ships and this is no different with points. Sure you have to jiggle the stats to fit them into a PL sometimes but normally the ships come out fine and the entire mechanism forces interesting tactical choices.

The solution either way is better valuing of the ships, not binning the system entirely!

Triggy said:
There's nothing wrong with the PL system, it's purely a matter of balancing the ships and this is no different with points. Sure you have to jiggle the stats to fit them into a PL sometimes but normally the ships come out fine and the entire mechanism forces interesting tactical choices.

The solution either way is better valuing of the ships, not binning the system entirely!

I like the idea of the PL system, although I admit there's problems with the execution...

The nicest thing is that I feel it makes 'random' games much more possible. Being able to play at a random level without requiring an hour break to choose fleets is a nice touch.

The primary thing that annoys me is the idea of 'special breakdowns' that seem, well, ugly. The idea of each point breaking down for two of a lower level point makes perfect sense, but the systems to handle other points get odd.

Perhaps they should make package deals as part of fleet lists instead? Also a way to handle balancing... So maybe one point at an appropriate level might buy 2 Hyperions AND an extra fighter base?

Perhaps, in the new fleet lists, ships should be listed as both their aux craft capacity AND the starting allotment, which may be different. So, if it makes sense, a Sharlin might only start with 1 or 2 Nial flights, even if it can hold 3 or 4. just an idea to allow for more balancing.

I like the PL system alot so i'd want to keep it as best possible. The problem with points is that you have to constantly fiddle and refiddle with them. Just look at Gamesworkshop and WizKids 'Clix' range; they use points and are always fiddling; even devoting two or three rewrites to drop a model a point or two with no real changes or end up presenting poor reasons to justify their decisions.

Mongoose at least give you a nice big chance with the recent books and have a half-decent approach to player input into the game, SFOS massive fleet list, Changed EA and Errata's in Armageddon, a Revised Saggitarius in S&P. Plus with the Free S&P they update regularly and i always find myself skipping to the ACTA articles before anything else (more battle reports please!).

Is their a poll anywhere regarding Points vs Power Level? I'd like to see the result of what people on the boards think (search turned up nothing :cry: ) I'd vote priority level cause I find it no fun what so-ever paining over books eeking the best out of point-based fleet lists. One idea worth grabbing is Fleet-Gear (ie. Starship war-gear) that you can spend you're points on; like refits you buy...give each ship slots; filling slots put them in different power-levels.

Back