Oh no! Another Armour piercing question.. sorry guys

Dracous

Banded Mongoose
So, when a spacecraft weapon with armour piercing is fired at a ground scale target. What do we do with the the Armour Piercing value?

Eg. A beam Laser with the Intense focus Advantage. Against a spacecraft this is 1D damage with AP+2
Against a ground scale target it is 1D multiplied by 10, but still only with an AP+2?

As near as I can find, There is no guidance in the rules as written on what to do with with the AP values when going from spacecraft to ground weapon scale, and vice versa. Since there is no guidance, and we have AP attached at both scales, the only interpretation I can make is that AP is applied as is going from one scale to the next according to the rule given on page 157 of the core rulebook, which states:
Note that the multiplication or division of damage due to scaling is performed after all other modifiers for damage have been applied, including Effect and the Destructive trait.

And that is .. well.. not quite the guidence for which we are looking, because we either apply the amour effect before scaling (which does not make sense), or we apply armour after scaling (makes more sense), but then the AP values on ground scale weapons have effects that are large, and spacecraft weapons have effects that are small.

It seems to me, that the AP should scale with the damage. Ground weapon vs spacecraft AP is divided by ten (round down), spacecraft weapon vs ground target, AP is multiplied by 10.

In the example above, the AP of the Beam laser with intense focus is AP+20 vs a ground target, which feels right.

Going the other way, I have read arguments where the AP of ground scale is dropped entirely when applied to spacecraft, I think that is a brute force approach that scales badly for some of the larger vehicle mounted weapons. I think dividing by 10 works a lot better, and gives a better feel.

ShawnDriscoll said:
If you're worried about AP use on a ground scale target, it's probably not technically a ground scale target.

A Grav tank, according to the rules as written, is technically a ground scale target. :)

Looks like DD doesn't need AP on top of that. I'll look up on what destructive traits really are.

ADDED:
It mentions Blast 10 as a trait.

I been playing with AP * 10 on my die calculator app when shooting DD weapons at ground scale units. Seems to work out ok. The core rules do make mention of things being destroyed in one shot.

Back