OGL Wild West

Samvail1 said:
Isn't it about time that Old Bear GM'd a campaign.

Get a little payback!

I suggest Wild West as casualty rates will be high, what with bleeding and infection rules. Perhaps Matt's character would lose his gun arm, or something. :twisted:

Sam

Strange you should mention this... :twisted:

I know OGL Wild West got delayed from july to august, and was supposed to be released at Gen Con. But in another post, OGL Wild West wasnt listed for new releases? Did it get pushed back again?

Thanks

Tiberius Bane said:
I know OGL Wild West got delayed from july to august, and was supposed to be released at Gen Con. But in another post, OGL Wild West wasnt listed for new releases? Did it get pushed back again?

Thanks

It's at the printers right now, so not long to wait.

Something I've noticed is a fair amount of rotation for the country of printing over the last year or so. I'd hazard a guess that Mongoose are constantly on the lookout for the best deal around to print any given book.

As a consumer as well as a retailer, it's nice to know they're doing their best to keep prices stable, while other publishers might have chosen to stick with a single printing firm and just let their prices rise up when necessary. Having said that, it is a little irritating when you've been used to seeing just about every hardback rulebook come out in glossy colour to suddenly find one in black and white. I can only guess this is down to an economics thing involving many factors including current printing prices, demand at the various print companies, the amount of line art in the product, and expected demand (the cost per copy of 100,000 glossy colour hardbacks can be cheaper than 5,000 black and white hardbacks)

kiln publications said:
Why did all the OGL books go from color to black and white interiors? Just curious???

Only a guess mind you, but it's probably because then we'd have retail prices up there like the Conan book, which was $50. I doubt Mongoose's print runs are large enough to keep the prices down.

I just got the copy today and I must say that this game seems pretty good. I like it because it is very similar to a conversion I was thinking for my d20 games: the more high you roll, the more damage you deal; the talents; hard and dangerous wounds...

Oh, and the Vocations, something very interesting, which aren't balanced between them (compare the Gunslinger with the Settlers / Tenderfoot :shock: ) It's a great thing because the book focuses (from what I have seen) on the Roleplaying. That's very good.

I don't understand, however, why there are Feats like: Cleave, Great Cleave, Great Sunder; Improved Disarm... I think they are good feats, but not for a Western. My opinion, only :wink:

Congratulations to Mongoose for making such a great game. Because I bought it today, I couldn't test it yet (I have read many pages though) but I believe I will in no many weeks. :)

My fast review :lol:

I left the basic D20 feats in because, well, there was no pressing reason to remove them, and I dislike changing things needlessly. One of the advantages of d20/OGL is that you don't need to learn a new system, just the changes to the system.

Settler and Tenderfoot obviously aren't balanced with the others. Tenderfoot's actually not very underpowered - you can rack up luck quickly enough with it during the game by getting into trouble, and being able to pick a talent during play is handy. Settler is obviously intended for NPCs or retiring PCs...

I have a question about one feat: Quik Draw.

To become a Gunslinger you must acquire it, but it doesn't appear in the book. Does it work like the usual Quick Draw, or does it have its variants for duels (as a house rule)?

Jack Steel said:
I have a question about one feat: Quik Draw.

To become a Gunslinger you must acquire it, but it doesn't appear in the book. Does it work like the usual Quick Draw, or does it have its variants for duels (as a house rule)?

Its the same feat as is provided in the PHB, D20 Modern etc...

Back