Wayfarer: Sharpe

Stainless

Mongoose
I nearly fell off my chair when I read the rpg.net thread on MRQII and Matt stated they had thought of using the MRQII rules for a Sharpe game.

I am very partial to this idea (or at least a Napoleonic supplement).

Points I'd like to make;

• i) The MRQII/Wayfarer system seems to be eminently suitable to adapting to this era/style.
    ii) Although not as large an audience as fantasy, sci-fi or horror, the Napoleonic era is still very recognisable to shoppers, easy to research for developers, and clearly demonstrated as a rich source of adventure fiction.
    iii) The competition is either indie (Duty & Honour/Beat to Quarters), very small company and production values (In Harm's Way) or very old-school (Privateers and Gentlemen). Either that or it's a generic system with a single supplement (GURPS/Age of Napoleon).
    iv) It lends itself to very easy expansion; core rules, cavalry supplement (e.g., Matthew Hervey novels), artillery supplement (a unique area not yet explored in literature/rpgs), naval supplement (e.g., lots and lots of authors/novels), campaigns supplement (history, maps, timelines, equipment, etc.), adventure/missions supplement(s) (from historical through to artistic license).
    v) It could cross fertilise some miniatures rules (a planned area of future expansion for Mongoose), although granted there are already 1001 different Napoleonic rules sets out there.
    vi) A good set of black-powder core rules can lead to other eras (e.g., American Civil War) or even fantasy hybrids (e.g., Gemmel's Rigante novels).
    vii) Lots of public domain artwork from old sources plus lots of living artists working in this genre (e.g., Osprey books lead the way)

I think point ii) above will obviously be the crunch point. Would such a line sell enough to justify the development costs? I would argue that it may not be a big burner, but if done well, it could be a slow steady burner that would be worthwhile in the long run. An actual Sharpe license would be rather expensive I imagine, but its 'product recognition' would be huge (I would argue it's much bigger than the likes of A Song of Fire and Ice, Conan, Elric, Babylon 5, but not as large as Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Star Trek).

What are others thoughts on this? Would you want to and can we convince Mongoose that this would be a worthwhile area to develop?

Stainless said:
I nearly fell off my chair when I read the rpg.net thread on MRQII and Matt stated they had thought of using the MRQII rules for a Sharpe game.

I am very partial to this idea (or at least a Napoleonic supplement).
There are, indeed, lots of Napoleonics miniatures players, some of whom are also roleplayers. That could translate into a significant market.

Stainless said:
What are others thoughts on this? Would you want to and can we convince Mongoose that this would be a worthwhile area to develop?

Unlikely. Some arguments against;

1. It would include a miniatures licence too, which is needed to make the advance worthwhile. However, there are already quite a few Napoleonic minis and games already out there...

2. Product recognition is good in the UK, a little less in the US, and not so hot elsewhere.

3. From what I have seen, we would be giving up almost the entire French section of the market.

4. We don't get Sean Bean as part of the deal :)

Matt, are you talking specifically to a Sharpe license? If so, I can well imagine the expense would be large and thus quite difficult to recoup.

However, what about an un-named Napoleonic range? It won't have the name-grabbing power of "Sharpe", but I think it could still be very popular.

Speaking of which... who's bidding for the Game of Thrones licence? (he asked, not expecting any kind of serious answer...) :)

But also, it needn't include miniatures. And it doesn't need to be the default setting, and could include English, Spanish, Portuguese and French cultures in the same way that 2E Glorantha had EWF, MSE, and traditionalist Orlanthi.

I thought that was already tied up........?

http://greenronin.com/sifrp/2011/03/winter_is_coming_in_april.php

Although I must admit I am toying with a cross over with Stormbringer - Dany's ancestros could have been Melnibonean..........

I can imagine that a Sharpe Licence might be too expensive for the benefits it would give for Mongoose. If Wayferer does go OGL though, a third party Napoleonics game could certainly be a possibility and may help bring people to the line...

Da Boss said:

So it is. I hand't spotted that. Hm, Green Ronin has some cool licences - Wild Cards, Sanctuary, GOT, Red Star...

I'm not sure how financially viable a Sharpe game (licensed or unlicensed) would be. Would be a blast to play though!

On the Sharpe front I can highly recomend:

Duty and Honour

http://www.omnihedron.co.uk/dutyandhonour/

which also does Beat to Quarters for your Hornblower stories too :)

Da Boss said:
On the Sharpe front I can highly recomend:

Duty and Honour

http://www.omnihedron.co.uk/dutyandhonour/

which also does Beat to Quarters for your Hornblower stories too :)

Yes, they look great! I have read Beat to Quarters and it is very nice. Not played either though - must rectify that situation.

PhilHibbs said:
Da Boss said:

So it is. I hand't spotted that. Hm, Green Ronin has some cool licences - Wild Cards, Sanctuary, GOT, Red Star...

Wait a minute!
Did you mean TVs Sanctuary?!

Back