OGL Steampunk is now available!

Anonymous said:
Exactly what kindof effects can be accomplished by the ritual magic? I take it it cannot be cast during combat? That it takes a few hours to cast, and results in things likke stat drain of tagets?

Rituals can do pretty much anything normal D&D spells can..you basically build your rituals based on what you need it to do selecting the parameters for the rituals as you move through the ritual check process.

The minimum base time for a ritual to be cast is 10 minutes though generally they take much longer. You can rush a ritual in order to reduce the casting time though.

Stat drains are not garunteed, as I pointed out above they are only possible if you failt to successfully cast the rituals as you get backlash.. and the effects of backlash vary with just how bad you failed.

Neo said:
Anonymous said:
Stat drains are not garunteed, as I pointed out above they are only possible if you failt to successfully cast the rituals as you get backlash.. and the effects of backlash vary with just how bad you failed.

Is it stat drain (permanent) or stat damage (temporary)?

I have to say that I while I perused OGL Steampunk in the store, I put it back. The sentence structure is still subpar, even for gaming. I hope this continues to be an area of focus for Mongoose.

JET

Tallgeese said:
I have to say that I while I perused OGL Steampunk in the store, I put it back.

If the above snippet is anything to go by your hardly qualified to comment on such things yourself :lol: :lol:

Anonymous said:
Exactly what kindof effects can be accomplished by the ritual magic? I take it it cannot be cast during combat? That it takes a few hours to cast, and results in things likke stat drain of tagets?

If it hasn't been changed from my original document, while you cannot perform rituals in combat, you can create handy items called "conduits" through which you can access pre-determined rituals in a couple of rounds.

And hey! How come the playtester gets his copy before the author?! :D

Neo said:
Tallgeese said:
I have to say that I while I perused OGL Steampunk in the store, I put it back.

If the above snippet is anything to go by your hardly qualified to comment on such things yourself :lol: :lol:

Hehe, I'm a grantwriter, so I feel perfectly qualified to comment on poor writing -- my own and others'. Everyone needs an editor, including you. Did you notice the mistake in _your_ resonse?

Cheap shots are welcome, but obviously I am not writing "professionally" (i.e., for money) when I am posting to this board. For the record, I did want to purchase this book, and it is my hope that Mongoose continues to improve its editing. Unfortunately, the folks who run my FLGS (which has the highest volume of sales in the Midwestern USA) are quite cynical about whether this will happen, and their cynicism is bound to have a negative impact on sales.

JET

Tallgeese said:
Hehe, I'm a grantwriter, so I feel perfectly qualified to comment on poor writing -- my own and others'. Everyone needs an editor, including you. Did you notice the mistake in _your_ resonse?

Heya JET

The usage of "your" instead of "you are" yes I noticed, but I do not edit for mongoose, nor was I making a comment relating to the quality of their editing as you did :D.

I wasn't having a go anyway, It just tickled me that you made such a "comedy timed" faux pas on a comment of that nature, such moments are priceless humour.

I read Matthew's post on the Yahoo Mongoose board and was agape at all that's in there. I can barely wait to get my hands on a copy!

Neo -

I posted this on the rulesmasters forum, but no one has stepped up to answer it.

On p10 of the OGL Steampunk rulebook, the description of "Bonus Feat" says "A bonus feat always costs 1 background point, irrespective of which feat is chosen."

The table immediately below this has bonus feats costing 2 points.

Which is it?

Jason Durall said:
Neo -

I posted this on the rulesmasters forum, but no one has stepped up to answer it.

On p10 of the OGL Steampunk rulebook, the description of "Bonus Feat" says "A bonus feat always costs 1 background point, irrespective of which feat is chosen."

The table immediately below this has bonus feats costing 2 points.

Which is it?

Hi Jason

To the best of my knowledge, and going by the playtest documents a bonus feat with background points costs 2 not 1. Also you may only buy one bonus feat through background points.

That's right; the original document doesn't list a cost in the description, only in the table; go with the table. :)

Back