OGL Horror - Freebie NPC from Kiln Publications

Stratos

Mongoose
Kiln Publications is proud to present our first licensed product enhancement for OGL Horror... Slapshot!

http://kilnpublications.donpedicinijr.com/slapshot.pdf

Slapshot is a brand new serial killer for use in your OGL Horror campaigns. Don't forget to leave the lights on!

Excerpted from the forthcoming Adversaries and Adventurers (TM) - Supporting Characters for OGL Horror (by Kiln Publications) - this fully licensed line will bring you brand new NPCs for use in any Horror game!

Each OGL rulebook will have it's own Adversaries and Adventurers (TM) book; each containing 14 characters to enhance your gaming party!

Adversaries & Adventurers is written by Bryan "Stratos" Borgman & Don Pedicini Jr. and features original artwork by Don Pedicini Jr.

Enjoy this freebie!

- Stratos

I didn't buy OGL Horror, but I guess I'll comment anyway. Slapshot has an interesting background, but I was wondering why no explanation of his undeadness? Even a sentence or two saying that the hate in his spirit refused to die or something like that would've been good. And since he's undead, would he get undead benefits?

Other than that, I can see his uses as an adversary. Could even be adapted to a Call of Cthulhu game (which I *do* own).

I'm looking forward to an excerpt from the A&A book you're gonna (presumably) do for OGL Steampunk.

Thanks for the comments, we will take them into consideration and go back and retool him. You are one of the many now looking for the A&A Steampunk!

Oh, I forgot to mention, the artwork is pretty nice! As well as the layout and choice of fonts. He's a stereotypical Jason/Leatherface type of character, but those guys are always fun in a horror game. You almost can't do a horror game without one!

The only other suggestion I'd make is to expand the "Game Ideas" section a little.

Good work ! If Slapshot is any indication of the level of quality, I'll probably get your A&A books, especially Steampunk and Cybernet.
As for suggestions, El Diablo nailed it pretty well already, so...

I hope I'm not too late to chime in before you go to print!

You forgot a few sections new in OGL Horror in the stat block, specifically the Horror section which lists the DCs for any specific Horror checks (panic, fear, madness) that Slapshot might invoke. You also forgot the Evidence and Research sections which list some example skill checks and DCs. Go back and take a look at the monster chapter in OGL Horror and the OGL Horror FAQ for specifics and examples.

Other than that, I really liked this - nice job! I also like the comic book style format and price for the print version you mentioned in another thread - consider this on my "Must Buy" list!

Hope this was helpful.

Wow, this is pretty cool. Nice artwork! I have a question thought, will all the characters be based on Horror movies ? Or will there be original new ones?

ZW.

ZeornWarlock said:
Wow, this is pretty cool. Nice artwork! I have a question thought, will all the characters be based on Horror movies ? Or will there be original new ones?

ZW.

Both. Honestly most will be inspired by movie characters... but not all of them will be the bad guys! ;-)

- Stratos

Personally, I love the character ... but I think the design's a bit clunky. Is this the way the book'll look? Also, wouldn't the image of "Slapshot" look a bit too close to ole Jason Vorhees for print?

What don't you like about the design as in clunkiness? As for the Slapshot looking for Jason I think any character that has a hockey mask at this point will be considered a wanna-be Jason clone. We would appreciate your input as in details of the design concerns you have. Thanks.

kiln publications said:
What don't you like about the design as in clunkiness? As for the Slapshot looking for Jason I think any character that has a hockey mask at this point will be considered a wanna-be Jason clone. We would appreciate your input as in details of the design concerns you have. Thanks.

Well, first off, the columns see a bit offset to me and almost look as if they were cut and placed. The identifier under the picture seems floating, as if it's looking for a place to go. I think the columns have a good gutter, but the different sections (history, combat, etc) should be seperated a bit more ... right now they read into each other badly. The OGL license should be on the very last page and done in about a 10-8 pt font with no columns ... it looks more professional IMHO and it just seems to blend into your text, which is something that should be avoided.
The problem with the illustration, IMHO, is it looks a LOT like Jason ... if I didn't know better I'd swear it was. If you do some changes to the person behind the mask, you can detract from that. For example, give him some actual hair or more hair ... have him wearing a hocky jersey ... basically give him his own personality while retaining an homage to Jason rather than almost a carbon copy of a well known icon. :)

Well, first off, the columns see a bit offset to me and almost look as if they were cut and placed.

This might be because I have justified the text when alot of companies now just use left justified giving the text a ragged look on the right. I prefer to use a justified system since that is what I was taught in college and have used that system for over 10 years.

The identifier under the picture seems floating, as if it's looking for a place to go. I think the columns have a good gutter, but the different sections (history, combat, etc) should be seperated a bit more ... right now they read into each other badly.

I agree with you on that. They do need seperated a little more

The OGL license should be on the very last page and done in about a 10-8 pt font with no columns ... it looks more professional IMHO and it just seems to blend into your text, which is something that should be avoided.

I see your point on that to keep it totally seperate from the text.

The problem with the illustration, IMHO, is it looks a LOT like Jason ... if I didn't know better I'd swear it was. If you do some changes to the person behind the mask, you can detract from that. For example, give him some actual hair or more hair ... have him wearing a hocky jersey ... basically give him his own personality while retaining an homage to Jason rather than almost a carbon copy of a well known icon. :)

I will go back and tweak it a little bit more to differentiate him from his "favorite serial killer"

As for your question about is this how the book will be laid out, the book will use justified text, I feel it is more professional looking and less ragged. If one is careful enough they will not get those streams of white within the text. The book will be broken up more with art, text boxes and tables so that everything does not appear to run together. Again this is our very first dip into the realm of rpg publishing and we are happy to get comments and suggestions such as your as to how we might change things around to make it easier to read or more entertaining. Thanks for taking the time to give us your honest thoughts. It is appreciated! Take care.

Back