North of Nordhiem

bradius

Mongoose
The party is headed North of Nordhiem. I'm planning on using some of the ideas for artic folks from Frost & Fur (Tlingit and Inuits...). Im going to treat the Tlingit somewhat like Picts in thier wood craft and ambush style fighting. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

There is nothing but snow in this region and perhaps some white carnivorous apes (see the Hyborian Age) but of course you can add what you wish.

Isnt the hall of ymir somewhere in the frosty north ? This might make for a good high level adventure.

Mad Dog

MadDog said:
Isnt the hall of ymir somewhere in the frosty north ? This might make for a good high level adventure.

Mad Dog
Possibly, but this is a legend. Gods are not physically present on Hyboria.

The King said:
MadDog said:

Mad Dog
I agree, but there might be something that has given rise to the legend. A frost-giant king who rules the uttermost north from his great hall, worshiped by degenerate ape-men, perhaps.

kintire said:

I refer you Ollam-Onga, who is a god of Kush and lived in a tower in Gazal...
He was considered a god by the local population but was just a demon, though he was a major one.

But granted, you can always create some giant races which is at the base of the legend.

Will see what Vincent Darlage will propose us in Faith & Fervour.

If you go far enough north along the coast of Vanaheim (in my campaign) , you sight a ruined stone dock and an ice covered stone road.

The road leads inland. Following it, an unnatural storm decends and you are attacked by a great Icebeast ( (a Gnoph-Keh, a creature created by Sorcery years ago)

At the end of the road, magically protected from the ice, you sight the Tower at the Edge of the World. The Tower was built by a sorceror fleeing the destruction of the Elder Hyperborea (written of by Clark Ashton Smith) centuries before.

The Tower is the lair of fearsome Snow Apes.

Eventually, you confront the lich of the sorceror with an ice-cold touch that drains the life from you and transfers it to him. He can only be slain by the touch of a ice diamond gem he guards , the Stone of Eibon.

Further north lies Elder Hyperborea itself, incased in a shroud of ice.

For more info, check out the Film Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger and CAS stories of Hyperborea.

He was considered a god by the local population but was just a demon, though he was a major one.

The same could be said of many gods, up to and including Set. In REH's work the difference between "God" and "Demon Lord" is blurry. There is certainly no reason why Ymir shouldn't live up in the northern waste, and who is to say that he's not a god just because he's physically present? I wouldn't mention that to his face...

Of course equally he may be a myth, though that leaves some explaining to be done about his daughter.

kintire said:
Of course equally he may be a myth, though that leaves some explaining to be done about his daughter.
It can be a spirit taking the form of a beautiful woman trying to lure males to their doom.
There are a lot of legends like this one (i.e. sirens).

I think this story we are refering to is very similar to Lovecraft's "dreams in the witch house". The hero is clearly dreaming but his subconscious has taken over the control of his body and experience thing he couldn't fathom and apprehend if he wasn't dreaming.
Subconscious is also the place where all fears gather and are put there by the conscious mind. Opening it is like opening the pandora box.

You speak truth, perhaps," muttered Conan. "It was all strange and weird ­ by Crom!"

He broke off, glaring at the object that still dangled from his clenched left fist; the others gaped silently at the veil he held up - a wisp of gossamer that was never spun by human distaff.

A subconcious image with a very physical veil... and I'm not convinced Howard was so into subconcious.

Anyway this is hardly the point; it COULD be anything, but if you want to put a real Ymir up in the far north, the lore does not forbid and, to an extent, supports it. You don't have to, but you can.

My campaign is currently taking place in Vanaheim. If any of my players read this thread, they might want to head north :cry:

Back