No Creatures in Pocket Conan?

A

Anonymous

Is it true that the creatures section of the rulebook hasn't been included in the pocket version of the book?

Was this a deliberate decision on the part of Mongoose or an oversight?

Although I do not know, I would assume it is intentional. I think the book is aimed at Players, who do not need monster stats. The GM should have the AE core book.

VincentDarlage said:
Although I do not know, I would assume it is intentional. I think the book is aimed at Players, who do not need monster stats. The GM should have the AE core book.

Though I know even less than Vincent :D , that was my take on it as well.

VincentDarlage said:

That isn't the way it's pitched in the on-line write up. There is nothing there to indicate that this is only a player's guide and that the AE book is needed to run the game. It claims to contain "all the essential rules you need to play the RPG." That strikes me as misleading advertising and I'm really glad I find out before I wasted my money on an incomplete product. I wonder how many other people will be caught out? :(

I does have all the essential rules. Monsters are not essential to the game. NPCs are better villains and the book has character generation rules.

Am I the only one who enjoys this game and doesn't come here to post reasons why a particular product is a waste of money?

Whether monsters are "essential" or not is up to the individual purchaser (if they are in the stories, which they are, then I'd consider monsters "essential" --- at least in MY game). However, what the book is missing should have been clearly labeled with its current title. Frankly, it should have been billed as the "Player's Guide" so there wouldn't be any confusion on the part of the purchaser.

Just my two cents! :wink:

VincentDarlage said:
Am I the only one who enjoys this game and doesn't come here to post reasons why a particular product is a waste of money?

Well, since I already own the complete Atlantean edition, the pocket edition *would* be a waste of money

:p

VincentDarlage said:
I does have all the essential rules. Monsters are not essential to the game. NPCs are better villains and the book has character generation rules.

I think it's OK to voice concerns about what a product is touted as being and how that differs from what it actually is. The online description says pretty clearly:

"The complete Conan Atlantean Edition in a handy sized pocket filler format."

I think any reasonable person would assume that this means that the entire text of the Atlantean Edition hardback is in this book. Given that there is a significant portion of the original text not included, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask about this discrepancy.

Anonymous said:
VincentDarlage said:
I think it's OK to voice concerns about what a product is touted as being and how that differs from what it actually is. The online description says pretty clearly:

"The complete Conan Atlantean Edition in a handy sized pocket filler format."

I think any reasonable person would assume that this means that the entire text of the Atlantean Edition hardback is in this book. Given that there is a significant portion of the original text not included, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask about this discrepancy.

It's nice to be right, isn't it? :lol:

Anonymous said:
Given that there is a significant portion of the original text not included, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask about this discrepancy.

Right. Original question on this thread was fine. I was just in a bad mood and am tired of all the "waste of money" comments. I have heard that the Atlantean Edition is a waste of money, the Road of Kings is a waste of money, Across the Thunder River is a waste of money, Free Companies is a waste of money, Shadizar is a waste of money and so on. (I don't recall anyone saying that about Scrolls of Skelos or Pirate Isles.) My apologies. I was just in a bad mood and was getting disheartened at all the negativity. No, the original question wasn't unreasonable.

For cmpleteness:

Pirate Isles and Scrolls of Skelos are a waste of money!

:wink:

Seriously, I know I'm very happy with the Conan line to date. That said, this factual error in the description of the Pocket Guide is another sloppy mistake Mongoose could do with out.

While I think the value in the Conan line greatly exceeds its problems and errata, I'm sure that the Mongoose people know they can't afford mistakes like this. Even if their editing is up to general RPG standards, it is going to be viewed in a harsher light than most games due to the sins of the past.

I sincerly hope that Mongoose can eventually shake free of this stigma. I think that to do so, however, they can't rely simply on industry-normal editing and otherwise great products. They need to be aiming for industry-best editing, so threads like this (that probably have a dispraportionately large effect on general opinion) cease to be.

VincentDarlage said:
Right. Original question on this thread was fine. I was just in a bad mood and am tired of all the "waste of money" comments. I have heard that the Atlantean Edition is a waste of money, the Road of Kings is a waste of money, Across the Thunder River is a waste of money, Free Companies is a waste of money, Shadizar is a waste of money and so on. (I don't recall anyone saying that about Scrolls of Skelos or Pirate Isles.) My apologies. I was just in a bad mood and was getting disheartened at all the negativity. No, the original question wasn't unreasonable.

When I am disappointed with some Conan products (Free Companies, Pirate Isles and Shadizar), it is because the other products are wonderful and one of the best RPG books I own. The Core book, RoK, SoS and Thunder River have set a niveau of highest quality that is difficult to reach again.

I have the highest expectations with every new Conan product, and it is in the nature of expectations that the highest are often unfulfilled...

But if I compare even the imho worse Conan products with the silly books released from other d20-companies and WotC itself, I must say that the Conan-line is still supreme.

So, Vincent (and other Conan authors), maybe the "Book xy is crap"- or "I'm feeling ripped"-yells are - in this alternative meaning - your own "fault". :wink:

I'm with Vincent on this one, all the negativity is vexatious.

I currently have all the books released in this line except Shadizar. Though there has been some mistakes, and for lack of a better term, screw ups, I have yet to find a reason to complain. My gaming group and I are really enjoying this game. My money was not wasted, I bought product that has enhanced our gaming experiance.

Thanks,
SS

<Who is just trying to and add a little positivity in the lives of fellow gamers. :D >

I don't believe I have posted anything negative about any Conan RPG product. However, I just received my Pocket Guide, and have not had a chance to do anything other than quickly flip through it, and noticed the map was not there - I thought to myself, well, I can print the one off from the site, and fold it and put it in there, so no real big deal, plus, since it is supposed to be text, it makes sense not to be present within the cover. But to hear a significant section is not present when I heard nothing to the effect beforehand is mildly annoying, because as a GM, I would want to carry the little book with me on flights, etc. to make adventures, and would want access to everything, which is what was expected. Now I have to figure out what to do about that.

Vincent, I agree with you that there is too much "that XYZ Conan is worthless" etc talk, but this should have been made clear, else I may not have purchased the book (and I already have 2 original Conan RPG books and 1 atlantean edition).

Whether or not the initial thread was negative, I too agree with Vincent. I read the boards almost daily, but recently the most populer threads seem to be the ones simply complaining. If there was a positive outcome and decision on rules etc, then fine, but usually the threads just fizzle out when another bitching appears.

Mongoose, despite there faults, release outstanding products. We've all come to expect a few problems, but it is hardly like any of the source material is unplayable.

Overall, all I'm saying is a little more positivity about the fact we all share a superb Conan roleplaying game would hardly go amiss. :wink:

I picked up the pocket guide last week and am really pleased with it. I just wanted something the players could use at the table and it's perfect for that. Also, it's very cheap and that's also perfect for players....

The pocket guide is intended and advertised as a supplementary volume - not as a stand alone core book. You want all the info, buy the Conan:AE core book instead.

:roll:

Back