Nexus Games Conan Minis & Boardgame

On the Conan website a few weeks back there was talk about a Conan boardgame. But to me it looked a lot like a cosmetically-altered version of Risk. :?

Yogah of Yag said:
On the Conan website a few weeks back there was talk about a Conan boardgame. But to me it looked a lot like a cosmetically-altered version of Risk. :?

Nope. As a long time boardgamer, I can tell you that this new Conan boardgame is going to be based on War Of The Ring mechanics, and WotR is a very very good boardgame that has nothing to do with risk.

Visit www.boardgamegeek.com and search for War Of The Ring and read the reviews.

I want to pick your brain, if I may. What is very, very good with the LotR game, in terms of its mechanics, presentation, etc. Thanks. :D

Yogah of Yag said:
I want to pick your brain, if I may. What is very, very good with the LotR game, in terms of its mechanics, presentation, etc. Thanks. :D

:D

Well, War Of The Ring has a very strong theme and presentation. You really feel that you are there fighting the war of the ring. The many miniatures are a treat and the board is quite good.

In terms of mechanics, I have to say that for starters this boardgame manages to make every single game played feel unique. Furthermore, each play plays differently from all others, so there's a lot of replayability in this boardgame, which is a very good thing.

There are different victory conditions for both sides in the game, which makes for an interesting game as each player tries to compete in different areas while at the same time tries to outdo the other player.

The game uses dices and cards to resolve turns and battles, which is something very rare to see in modern euro boardgames, most of them do not use dice or a strong luck factor. However, in this game the dice work in its favor and makes for a very fun game. Each player uses their own pool of dice, called action dice, to resolve their turn – alternating one after the other. Players use die to muster units or enlist leaders, move units, play events and attack opposing armies. This way it makes sure that you do not get everything you want and makes the game quite challenging.

Do not think that because this game has many dice it is like risk though, it isn't, it's so far ahead of it that when you play it you won't even make that comparison between WotR and risk.

Furthermore, this boardgame includes a political mechanism that allows for nations to interact between each other. This mechanic makes the game quite fun.

The downside is that this is a rather complex game not to be taken lightly. It requires a bit of dedication in learning the rules and applying them into practice, but trust me it's quite worth it.

The best part? The boardgame is completely faithful to the story. It recreates the battles of the third age in such a way that it ties so well to the story and makes lots of 'What if?' scenarios possible and feasible.

The Conan boardgame is made by the same guys and seems to be based on these rules. If that is true then trust me on this, the Conan boardgame will be one of the best boardgames of this year and a must-buy to all Cona fanatics. It'll be true to Howard and a great game to play. It's one of the boardgames I am most looking forward to, along with Agricola and Through The Ages.

Hope this satisfies your curiosity. :wink:

EDIT: Oh, and if you're real curious about War Of The ring, go here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/9609

MGBM told it all. I could just add that the game is top-notch quality (some even went to pain the miniatures.

And contrary to Risk, you're limited by time.

I've only played with 25 mm minis....the base of the human sized 35mm Conan minis game wouldn't be any larger than 1.5", do you think? I'm hoping that when it comes out it could be used with WorldWorks Chunky Dungeon 3D paper models.... :?:

jrmorgan56 said:
I've only played with 25 mm minis....the base of the human sized 35mm Conan minis game wouldn't be any larger than 1.5", do you think? I'm hoping that when it comes out it could be used with WorldWorks Chunky Dungeon 3D paper models.... :?:

I got that 3D Dungeon set. Personally like 1" squares better. I'm also prefer the 25mm ral-partha type miniatures over the 30mm GamesWorkshops type miniatures. I usually go to Foundry for miniatures that work vary well for the Hyborian Age and Reaper Miniatures for the old-school D&D-type miniatures.

This one is by Reaper, and it called Dantrag of Heimdall.
02233_G.jpg

This is the best version of Conan I had ever seen.

Some of the old Games Workshop minis are pretty good for Conan, the old Barbaian fighters had some nifty looking types obviously influenced by Conan and his world. (One day I will paint mine, honest!)

Back