New to the Game... Advice Needed.

Quixote

Mongoose
Hello,

After Seeing some people play Call to Arms, I've decided to start playing... I used to play B5 Wars, and I still have some of my Earth Alliance Fleet Action Ships.

So I'm trying to figure out exactly what I need to buy to be able to play this game.

(Current FA Stuff: Babylon 5 Station, Explorer Survey Ship, Omega x2, Oracle x3, Orestes x3, Tethys x4)

The best place to start is the Revised Edition Boxset, which contains a rulebook and counters for lots of ships. :D

I have found that ACTA falls somewhere in between B5Wars and FleetAction.

As JayRaider has said, the best place to start is the Revised Edition boxed set. It comes with all the basic rules, a fleet list and a load of counters to play the game with.

It's worth mentioning, because I think Mongoose and the ACTA community at large deserve a lot of credit for it, that no one has objected to using the old AOG fleet action miniatures to play ACTA with even though they are not sold by mongoose. So you could use your existing models for now if you like....

The way Mongoose pricing works it is very cost effective to buy your choosen fleet in fleet boxes, these are far better value for money than individual ships, buy the one or more fleet boxes or reinforcement boxes you want and then just buy the odd ship you need.

I don't think Mongoose mind me mentioning either that although you can purchase directly from Mongoose, you can save money by buying from authorised distributors on the internet, ebay etc, all above board and they will generally negotiate a good discount if you are spending quite a lot of money in one go.

I speak for the UK sellers, expect the USA ones are similar?

Cpt Kremmen

I'd also recommend if you play at a local shop that you buy them there. playing inthe store increases th visibility of the game and may get others interested in playing; pretty soon you might have a league going!

The revised box set will get you into the game. It got counters for many different fleets, so you can try out a very large variety of forces that way. There are now 2 main rule rupplements, both are hardcover books. A Sky Full or Stars, and this year's Armageddon. They expand an add to the game with additional ships, priority levels, rule clerifications, additional campagn detail, and loads of new scenarios. In addidion 2 new races have been introduced in softcover books, The extinct Dilgar and the Drakh. If you enjoy historical gaming there is another supplement detailing the period of the "Earth-Minbari War" as well as a few well-written fan-produced PDFs out there detailing phases of the Dilgar War and the Narn expansion.

Hope you enjoy the game as much as we have, Welcome to ACTA!

Chernobyl

Captain Kremmen said:
It's worth mentioning, because I think Mongoose and the ACTA community at large deserve a lot of credit for it, that no one has objected to using the old AOG fleet action miniatures to play ACTA with even though they are not sold by mongoose. So you could use your existing models for now if you like....

Cpt Kremmen

Not only do they not mind they even list it as an option in their tourney packs:

Into the Fire II Tournament Pack said:
Your fleet, either as miniatures or counters (AoG Fleet Action miniatures are acceptable)

LBH

The standard turnament game is 5 raid points, which can be as few as three or as many as 15 ships, depending on what you choose.

Lorcan Nagle said:
The standard turnament game is 5 raid points, which can be as few as three or as many as 15 ships, depending on what you choose.

Actually that can be as few as 1 ship (Sheridan in a Victory under SFOS rules costs 5 Raid points, though now in Armageddon rules it would cost 8 points and wouldn't be doable in 5 pt Raid), more normally 2 ships is possible (1 War, 1 Raid), maximum 15 ships (15 Patrol and possibly up to 90 flights of fighters (Kothas or Delta Vs) :lol:

LBH

Back