New to Mongoose version of Traveller

rustorod

Mongoose
Hello,
I had played the original Traveller many years back. I was looking at picking up the Core Rulebook, plus a couple of the supplements.
Does the Core rulebook cover all the classes, like agents, scoundrels, scouts etc.?

I was thinking on picking up the Central Supply Catalog
Agents
Scoundrels
Scouts
I dont have the cash to get all 5 at the moment. So I was lloking for some breif opinions of which of the 3 should I omit at the moment. I like roguish and assassins. My buddy who is not the biggest SciFi fan will play scouts though. Especially if I let him play an elf, ie like Warhammer 40k Eldar Scouts.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

rustorod said:
Hello,
I had played the original Traveller many years back. I was looking at picking up the Core Rulebook, plus a couple of the supplements.
Does the Core rulebook cover all the classes, like agents, scoundrels, scouts etc.?

The core rulebook covers it. The other books expand upon the career choices available but you can play an agent, scout, etc career with just the core rulebook. Other books expand the rules for those types of adventures.

Eldar Scout (in 40k) = Darrian Covert Ops Agent (in Traveller).

Start with the basic book and the CSC. There is enough meat just there to help you decide which way to jump next.

Welcome to the forum rustorod! CSC seems to be a favorite.

FYI: Core comes in a pocket edition (less expensive).

CT adventures convert pretty easy to MGT - and a few adventures exist (Tripwire seem popular)...

I was looking at the pocket edition. Does it contains the all the same rules as the hardbound, but with smaller print.

rustorod said:
I was looking at the pocket edition. Does it contains the all the same rules as the hardbound, but with smaller print.
yes, you lose some footnotes, but, these are available as seperate downloads, and are largely "flavour" text

BP said:
Bygoneyrs said:
My advise is to buy the Core Rule Book and pass on the Pocket edition!

Penn
Why?

The pocket edition is soft cover is my guess as to why. I too much prefer an HC core rule book over a soft cover, as my soft cover Hack Master Basic and Warhammer 3E's are quickly reminding me.

Ah - yes my pocket edition cover is quite curvy (and peeled) already - but I prefer softcover myself!

(My old LBBs are not curved and had no coating to peel - but then they are thinner books without a simple saddle stich binding...)

For the amount of wear and tear, that will be done to the Core book...just get the better made book so it stands up over time better. I am exteremly gentle with my books and never allow my players to touch my books. They MUST bring their own books, if they truely need them. Otherwise just tell me what pages they need me to look at and I will look for them. I pride myself on the size, scope, and condition of all my resource gaming library.

Penn

I've got 30 years of gaming crap piled up. I don't have ROOM for any more full-size hardcover books. That's why I bought the pocket edition, and I bought all the other stuff in PDF format.

brionl said:
I've got 30 years of gaming crap piled up. I don't have ROOM for any more full-size hardcover books. That's why I bought the pocket edition, and I bought all the other stuff in PDF format.

Also a valid option! I would love it if Mongoose had a dead tree+PDF bundle. It makes assembling player material so much easier than typing everything out by hand.

Ah - an interesting variety of veiwpoints!

Just gave away a good fiction book a few hours ago to a relative - who seemed perplexed that I give away my books. I explained that I have always given them away - often buying them again years later. I've just always done that - even RPG books - my CT LBBs are like the third copies I've owned (not counting the more recent reprints).

In fact my original RP group was original D&D and we were introduced to Traveller by a friend who bought every RPG book he could and just lent them to us - he rarely actually played! It must have been two years before any of us actually purchased books!

brionl said:

I only have 25 years of stuff, but I still just bought a bigger house and more book shelves.

Back