New SRD-based rules system...GORE...by Goblinoid Games

Goblinoid Games said:
yep, bite attack goes under Unarmed skill.

That actually makes a lot more sense than say 'Fist' being covered by unarmed combat. How do you make a fist attack if you have no arms?

Rurik said:
Goblinoid Games said:
yep, bite attack goes under Unarmed skill.

That actually makes a lot more sense than say 'Fist' being covered by unarmed combat. How do you make a fist attack if you have no arms?

True. Mainly for the sake of simplicity I consider all unarmed attacks to fall under the Unarmed skill. You could break it down more if you wanted to, to create a separate skill for nearly every concievable unarmed attack, but that's a matter of taste.

At the moment, we have one more adventure in the works. It is larger, and fantasy based. Other than that, I have many ideas, but it will take time to see them finished.

Let's see...

I added some wording to explain hit location hit points. I did this to clear up how they are rounded. That was the only "rules change," but I changed the wording of a couple other places for clarity. Not much has changed though.

Hi all, just a quick note that GORE v1.2 is available in print from Lulu...at cost of production! I make no money off of the sale of these hard copies.

Version 1.2 includes basic fantasy equipment from the SRD.

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=693745

Hmmm, that's very weird. The link seems to work for me. If you are interested in a hard copy, drop me an email and we can work something out.

I'm able to put it in my shopping cart, no problem there. I am however happy with my printout from the GORE-pdf. I just wanted to take a look how the book turned out. :wink:

I'll try again later on another computer. Keep up the good work!

By the way, will we see a BRP fantasy scenario too from Goblinoid some time in the future? :D

SGL.

Thanks, I'm glad you like how things are developing!

I do have a GORE fantasy adventure in the works. It is being written by Stuart Marshall, one of the creators of OSRIC. Tentatively I am hoping for a pdf and print release of this ("The Secret of Whispering Wood") by early to mid April.

Goblinoid Games said:
Hi all,

I hope it's ok to post this here, but I thought it would be of interest. My small publishing company has written a free game system book, GORE, which is based heavily on the RuneQuest SRDs. It is more-or-less a complete game, but can be used as a reference for additional rules for MRQ. It is actually mainly meant as a resource for publishers first and for players second. Here is the official announcement...

I have mixed feelings about this. First of all, your game is a great game. Second of all how do legally claim material from other copyrighted games as your own material? Is there some sort of legal loophole through the Open Gaming license that allows you to do this? Because if that is the case I could use most of the material in your game rules in my own game and claim it as my own (I'd probably have to change the name of the spells...like change mending to repair, for instance.) This may sound sarcastic, but I am really interested. I'm not putting you down at all.

I thought open content had to be original material. Am I missing something? Or have you made it original enough that it doesn't infringe on other copyrighted material? (Honestly not trying to be sarcastic. Just would really like to know.)

Sorry, I got Open Content and Product Identity confused. What I meant to say was doesn't your Product Identity have to be original?

What I mean is that you state the following as Product Identity:
All original language in this work is product identity and cannot be used without permission. GORETM, G.O.R.E.TM, Lite GORETM, Lite
G.O.R.E.TM, and “Generic Old-school Role-playing Engine” are trademarks of Daniel Proctor and are product identity. The author’s
name , Goblinoid Games, all artwork and layout is product identity, except that artwork which does not belong to Goblinoid
Games and is used here under license.

Much of what you are claiming is product identity comes almost word for word from other copyrighted material. Is this legal? Is your Product Identity protected under the Open Gaming License or does the Open Gaming License just protect the material protected under the Open Gaming License, or did you get permission to use it, or what?

I would have liked to have used some of this material just as public notes for my gaming group on the Web, but I thought copyrights for this material prevented me from even displaying without a note from the original author.

Don't you even have to give a nod to the people whose original ideas they were?

Anyway, I would like to be able to do what you did...but I am unsure about the laws. Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

Arlaten said:
Much of what you are claiming is product identity comes almost word for word from other copyrighted material.

Hi Arlaten,

The only material in GORE that is copied word for word is material from several OGC SRD documents. That material does still belong to the contributors, but is used under the terms of the OGL.

There are many, many issues involved here and I have taken a policy of restricting my legal discussion in these kinds of venues. I apologize if this leaves some of your questions unanswered. I will say this, however. As you may know, "ideas" cannot be copyrighted. You'll notice many ideas from various games have their roots elsewhere. When you use the OGL, one of the restrictions is that a publisher is not allowed to indicate compatibility with other trademarked terms, or potentially other creator's names. For instance, GORE borrows from OGC sources from more than one publisher, but GORE cannot claim compatibility with any systems the OGC is based on without some other special agreement. In short, GORE cannot safely credit explicitly those people or companies which influenced it, but GORE does do this on the TOC page to the extent possible.

GORE was influenced from many sources, and as the creator of this product I have said elsewhere and I will say here again that I have nothing but the utmost respect for all those who ultimately had an influence on the creative direction of the project.

Back