New ruleset for Paranoia

lastbesthope

Mongoose
As per the news announcement on the main site today, how different are the new rules going to be?

Why stop selling the older supplements.

Curious before I decide whether or not to re leap into Paranoia, although obviously not to do so would be communist treason :lol:

LBH

I really would have liked a little more warning... I'm about 8 books behind and don't have the resources to purchase before production stops.

I would like to know why the change as well. Will the new ruleset be compatible with the old?

No treason jokes please, a serious, informed answer would be appreciated. There are many of us that have spent a lot and early-adopted this edition and supported the writers and the Mongoose brand. I can't help feeling a bit betrayed by the change... I'll reserve judgement pending a response.

The new rules are 95+% compatible with the previous edition. I can only surmise that most of the older supplements are sold out, and the remaining stock is fast dwindling. I'll attempt to bring Those Who Know into this thread.

Would appreciate that.

I'm curious, as having largely let the current Paranoia rules pass me gby, if this is a 'reboot' with new core book and such then now might be the time to jump in.

Like getting into B5 2E after missing out on 1E, had someone (not me obviously) done such.

LBH

The Word from On High is that books will still be available on drivethrurpg, but the older books (the few that are still available) will be phased out to leave a clear field for the new editions.

lastbesthope said:
So is the Black Missions book basically going to be the new 'core' book for Paranois?

LBH

One of them :)

The Black Missions book is the Limited Edition version of Paranoia: Troubleshooters.

There will be two other core books later this year, covering Int Sec Troopers and High Programmers. Troubleshooters is not required to play the others, and each will be supported by its own line of missions/supplements.

So which book will be the Main general Paranoia rulebook? Like the one you are phasing out? I don't want to have to buy 2 core rule books to have the game that came in one book before.

thanks

I feel I will be 'debriefing' Matthew on this at DragonMeet.

I will be sure to bring the requisite forms and paperwork :lol:

LBH

Garet said:
So which book will be the Main general Paranoia rulebook? Like the one you are phasing out? I don't want to have to buy 2 core rule books to have the game that came in one book before.

You don't. There will be three 'core' rulebooks this year (Troubleshooters, Int Sec and High Programmers), but you only need one (choose your flavour!) to play.

Hmm? A core rulebook with three flavours? Wont that encourage people to buy all three books, with lots of duplicated material for the exclusive bits?

A new edition with no announcements? Wont that hack off traders who have just reordered dead stock? Wont it hack off people who have recently bought the current edition?

Will there be a new version of other rules soon? Runequest, for instance?

Lots of questions.

And, isnt the usual way of doing things to gradually phase out the current edition? or to sell it at a reduced price, in readiness for the new edition? To make people aware that a new edition is imminent?

Or do you just sell as normal, then say the next thing out for the system is a new version of the system? In three flavours. Right. :wink:

Well since my time as a customer of Mongoose this will be my 4th rule system/edition change, not counting ones that never went through.

LBH

Allen Varney said:
PrinceYyrkoon said:
A new edition with no announcements?
Treason point, citizen, for ignoring the many announcements about the PARANOIA 25th Anniversary rulebooks on the official PARANOIA development blog and in Matthew Sprange's State of the Mongoose 2008 post from November 2008 in this very forum.

I missed it. The Computer has provided insufficient notification to its loyal citizens, probably due to the announcement being solely for higher clearance operatives. Think on in future.

msprange said:
There will be three 'core' rulebooks this year (Troubleshooters, Int Sec and High Programmers), but you only need one (choose your flavour!) to play.

I've asked this a couple other places, but will try again here: any chance of Limited Editions of the IntSec and High Programmer books too? Not neccessarily with another DVD, but with something nifty, or even just hardbacked and styled to look nice alongside Black Missions :)

EDIT: Failing that, will the regular InteSec and High Programmer books look visually appealing stacked up next to the limited ed Troubleshooter book?

I used to work in a library. I can't help myself :D

Allen Varney said:
PrinceYyrkoon said:
A new edition with no announcements?
Treason point, citizen, for ignoring the many announcements about the PARANOIA 25th Anniversary rulebooks on the official PARANOIA development blog and in Matthew Sprange's State of the Mongoose 2008 post from November 2008 in this very forum.

Caught the announcement, but was miffed at the incredibly short notice regarding discontinuing the current line... Bad form!!! :x

Back