New building made for SST/Battle EVO (pic heavy)

Reaverman

Mongoose
I recently bought two Hirst Arts moulds, to make scenery with for SST/Battle evo. After making my first (Cast) building, I have to say I am sold on the idea. The are easy to cast, and apart from the drying times, the buildings are quick to make. Not only that, but you can make an unlimited range of buildings.

Wargaming170.jpg

Casting

Wargaming174.jpg

Excess plaster is removed (I used Dental plaster, as its a lot stronger than PoP)

Wargaming165.jpg

Building assembled (I decided to go for a ruin)

Wargaming178.jpg

I decided to weather the structure, to look more like a ruin. (Do this outside if you are using a Dremel, the dust goes everywhere)

Wargaming179.jpg

Some of the excess dried plaster can make useful rubble, so dont bin it straight away. I used foam core, to create the interior walls.

Wargaming180.jpg

I sealed the plaster with thinned down PVA, and then undercoated the model black.

Wargaming182.jpg

Wargaming183.jpg

Wargaming184.jpg

Wargaming185.jpg

Here is the finished product, and I used the Chaos warrior to give an idea of scale. Aside from the sand, and foam core. All the casts, are from one mould (Mould number 300). Though you will have to cast the mould at least a few times, to get the right number of parts

Wargaming186.jpg

Here are some examples from another mould, that I have started casting.

Now just to get an opinion, if you were to buy this model painted, what would you expect to pay?

Great work on the building

I love hirst arts.
I have lots of molds and I'm working on a city board and using Hirst arts as bases.

another BB player then?
I cant be bothered with real good paintjobs on EE stuff anymore, small Conf forces or the odd nice model, hell yeah.

Rob_alderman said:
another BB player then?
I cant be bothered with real good paintjobs on EE stuff anymore, small Conf forces or the odd nice model, hell yeah.

Not played in ages, and need to sort out another bloodbowl pitch. I've got a Norse team, and the beginings of a Chaos team.

BTW-Did you can now download the BB, Epic, BFG, Inquisitor, and Necromunda for free from the GW site!

Reaverman said:
Rob_alderman said:
looks good, bloody nice painting on the chaos warrior.

I painted that about 8 years ago, for my bloodbowl team
I thought we where talking about some hirst arts stuff! Looks good, how does that stuff cast? I'm still on the fence on if I'll buy some of them :)

roughneck GIR said:
Reaverman said:
Rob_alderman said:
looks good, bloody nice painting on the chaos warrior.

I painted that about 8 years ago, for my bloodbowl team
I thought we where talking about some hirst arts stuff! Looks good, how does that stuff cast? I'm still on the fence on if I'll buy some of them :)

Very easy to cast, but I'd suggest using Dental plaster, as its more durable. The quality is amazing, and I've had no miscasts yet (dont about 15 casts). I think they are well worth getting, I bought moulds 300 and 302 (Station builder, and Cargo Bay). The are loads of possibilities regarding construction, and with every additional mould the possibilities are phenomenal.

Construction is easy, and you only need PVA glue (Elmers Glue), have a look at the link below ;)

http://www.hirstarts.com

Hmmm...Those moulds look very tempting. How pricey is the stuff you put into the moulds?

Getting tempted to buy some of those after I return from UK.

Reaverman said:
Cheers for the great comments guys :)
And thanks to you! :) I've known about them since last year, but never been around enough to find out anything on them, I think I'll buy some later when I have the time and money to :p

Yeah, it turned out fine. Good work, and the painting improved it for sure. Those blocks sorta remind me of LEGO bricks in the way you can combine different shapes to make varied structures. I won't post pics yet, but I am using LEGO bricks as it happens and have built several large multi-level office buildings. I'm working up a range of ideas on how different materials can be used to make structures. So far, I've made up buildings using solid styro shapes, foam-core, LEGO bricks, paper mache' boxes and some other things that might raise an eyebrow or three. The collection is really starting to cramp my already tight space, but I'll make do somehow :wink: . Again, good example of an urban prop, Reaverman!

BuShips said:
Yeah, it turned out fine. Good work, and the painting improved it for sure. Those blocks sorta remind me of LEGO bricks in the way you can combine different shapes to make varied structures. I won't post pics yet, but I am using LEGO bricks as it happens and have built several large multi-level office buildings. I'm working up a range of ideas on how different materials can be used to make structures. So far, I've made up buildings using solid styro shapes, foam-core, LEGO bricks, paper mache' boxes and some other things that might raise an eyebrow or three. The collection is really starting to cramp my already tight space, but I'll make do somehow :wink: . Again, good example of an urban prop, Reaverman!

Funny you should mention Lego, but I use that to make sure the building is actually square ;)

Like yer work Reaverman... By the way is that a pic of you with the Bone Crown??? I like the animated cat too... Hav'nt found any animated to fit my profile yet.

Reaverman said:
Funny you should mention Lego, but I use that to make sure the building is actually square ;)

Funny, since I used LEGO bricks for this, it was already square... :wink:

DCP_TERRAN_FEDERAL_BANK.jpg

I've since finished the top and replaced the entry doors with better ones. It's rather tall for a two-level structure, but then it's a bank and they've always got tall rooms :lol: . Oh, and it lights up.

I'll post another pic of a new ruin I am making at the moment, I'll post a pic later this week. I'm also planning to make a complete building with removable levels too :)

Back