Need clarification on Encumberence 'Physical Actions'

deejaay

Mongoose
Pg. 92 of MGT2 core book states that once encumbered, you suffer a Bane to 'all physical actions'.
While STR, DEX, END are your physical characteristic values, I have no issues with a Bane being applied to a straight up STR,DEX,END roll.
My question lies with combat actions that employ a physical characteristic, like attacking using the Gun Combat skill.

Does the encumbered Bane get applied to someone shooting with Gun Combat skill?

Options:
YES. It is all physical and any skill check using STR, DEX, END gets a bane.
NO. Physical actions only describe a straight up STR, DEX, END check. Skills using the STR, DEX, END attributes can be compensated in some way to avoid the Bane.

I need to know which of the above is the intended Core Rulebook meaning?

I'd say it depends on why you are encumbered. Suppose you are carrying a very heavy backpack there is no reason why it should affect your ability to aim and shoot, but you won't probably be able to run at all (even worse than a bane: "you're doing your best, but you only manage to walk at a higher pace.") and for fatigue, it certainly deserves a bane and dodging should be made more difficult too.

deejaay said:
Pg. 92 of MGT2 core book states that once encumbered, you suffer a Bane to 'all physical actions'.
I would interpret physical as opposed to mental actions; anything you do in the real world, as opposed to in your head, would suffer the bane.

deejaay said:
Options:
YES. It is all physical and any skill check using STR, DEX, END gets a bane.

Yes, I would say ranged combat tasks suffers the bane.

Note that it is not necessarily the same as all STR, DEX, and END tasks.

As a contrived example, let's say that a character uses EDU to use a specific technique to weave baskets: It's still a physical activity and gets the bane.

Encumbrance means something is getting in your way in performing an action, or an extended series of actions.

Like not spilling your martini as you dive for cover.

deejaay said:
While STR, DEX, END are your physical characteristic values, I have no issues with a Bane being applied to a straight up STR,DEX,END roll.
My question lies with combat actions that employ a physical characteristic, like attacking using the Gun Combat skill.

Does the encumbered Bane get applied to someone shooting with Gun Combat skill?

Someone wants to have their pie and eat it too.

Back