Natural Weapon Explanation

OK, I've got a couple of Aslan characters in my new campaign (1 Male PC and a unattached Female NPC--make of that what you will) and I'm trying to grasp the rule on the dewclaws, i.e. natural weapons. The rules say that creatures with natural weapons deal out x1 damage. That's what confuses me. Unarmed combat deals out 1d6 damage. Am I missing something?

Likely just óld reference to playtest rules where weapons had rather than xd6 damage multiplier+constant like x1, x2+2 etc for damage which told multiplier to effect roll and number to add.

Probably is supposed to be d6(and that's how we play them).

Golan2072 said:
I'd make the dewclaw do 1d6+2 damage like a dagger.
I agree, the claw would be a great "Dagger" like weapon and do 1d6+2.

Keep in mind it uses the Melee (natural Weapon) skill as well.

Daniel

Gruffty the Hiver said:
CT AM1 sez Dewclaws do 2d6 damage ;) I would suggest +/- Str DM for MTG :)
So they were treating it as a "Blade" rather then a Dagger?

If that is the case then the Dewclaw should be 2d6 if we follow the same idea as CT.

Daniel

CT Weapon Damages (including Dewclaw):
Code:
             CT   MGT
Weapon      DMG   DMG
---------------------
Bayonet     3d6     -
Blade       2d6   2d6
Broadsword  4d6   4d6
Cudgel      2d6   2d6 (Club)
Cutlass     3d6   2d6+4
Dagger      2d6   1d6+2
Dewclaw     2d6     -
Foil        1d6   1d6+4 (Rapier)
Halberd     3d6     -
Pike        3d6     -
Spear       2d6     -
Sword       2d6     -
- indicates that there's no equivalent in MGT for the CT weapon;
(Club) and (Rapier) indicate damge values for the weapons closest to the CT originals in MGT.

ssheftall said:
1D6+2 + Str Mod?
To save confusion between editions of the game, I'd say yes: 1d6+2, +/- Str DM + effect (if you use the Effect rule for damage, that is).

So theoretically, an Aslan with Str 1 (DM -2) and no Effect mod can inflict 1 point of damage with the Dewclaw.

Gruffty the Hiver said:
ssheftall said:
1D6+2 + Str Mod?
To save confusion between editions of the game, I'd say yes: 1d6+2, +/- Str DM + effect (if you use the Effect rule for damage, that is).

So theoretically, an Aslan with Str 1 (DM -2) and no Effect mod can inflict 1 point of damage with the Dewclaw.
Hmmm... Isn't the Str DM already part of the attack's Effect, which is added to damage as usual?

Golan2072 said:
Gruffty the Hiver said:
You have to go and complicate things, don't you, Omer? ;) LOL
Actually to simplify things - just give it a dagger damage and the system will take care of the rest :)
So we are back to the starting call. It is the same as a Dagger and run with it. :lol:

Daniel

dafrca said:
Golan2072 said:
Gruffty the Hiver said:
You have to go and complicate things, don't you, Omer? ;) LOL
Actually to simplify things - just give it a dagger damage and the system will take care of the rest :)
So we are back to the starting call. It is the same as a Dagger and run with it. :lol:

Daniel
*YES!!!!* I just *LOVE IT!!* when a manipulation works!! :lol: :lol:

Gruffty the Hiver said:
dafrca said:
Golan2072 said:

Daniel
*YES!!!!* I just *LOVE IT!!* when a manipulation works!! :lol: :lol:
:lol:

Course if we wanted to add some fun, we could offer them some bonus for an Aslan who attacks with both claws. :wink:

Daniel

thepugilist said:
Has there ever been an official ruling on this? I'd like to use Aslan but I don't really know what to rule their claws as.

The CT Alien module for Aslan on page 20 gives stats for the dewclaw as 2D damage. I would personally just run with that until we see something in print.

Craig.

Hmm, I guess it would be the same for both Aslan and Vargr then?

Well, I'll wing it if I have to. This is the first Mongoose product I have bought in years, what are the odds that this question will be answered in some errata soon?

EDIT: Might already be solved. In the SRD it says +1 damage, not x1 (emphasis mine).

Back