Names

PottsBr said:
Look at it this way, Elfman, at least you got a picture in the rule book. Look at the poor Brakiri. Those who have not watched a fair amount of the series don't even know what they look like.
So true. Drazi not only ones ignored.

Brakiri not even given a vague attempt at being treated as equal to "big 4" races. There is a picture of a Brakiri in the background of one of the episode pictures (the mutari episode, iirc), but otherwise they get no picture. Drazi are handsome race, we get many pictures. Humans get most pictures, but that is ok with Drazi.

Drazi treated as second-class to humans, but Brakiri is third-class. Mongoose says one day they will give us a book to share with other races they view as second- and third-class. Drazi are strong, should have own book; Mongoose is full of humans, so we get shared book. Is fact.

I no sad. Drazi be happy to be in any book, is better than no printing at all.

The Minbari name chart can be found here (you'll have to do the "Save Link Target As..." thing):

http://www.geocities.com/psychoadept/babylon5/minbarinames.doc

Take the whole thing with a grain of salt, because it's *so* not canonical. The names are taken from the show, the Minbari book, the CCG, and Jump Now. The meanings are taken entirely from Jump Now. The ones marked "uncertain translation" are names where there was no other translated name with the same syllables to compare it to. To give you an idea of how I determined the individual syllables, I tried to start and end with a consonant whenever possible, but it wasn't always. How do you divide Draal or Ruell, for instance? Also: names like Zaca, Branmer, and Jenimer gave me fits, so take my translations there with extra big grains of salt.

Thanks,
Campbell

Ghost Dancer , i don´t want to appear as a critic , but Shaal is not a Minbari name , but a title (it means master poet , more or less) , and Mayan is not a clan or family name , but a personal name ( in fact , the character's name was Mayan , and as she was considered as "the" Minbari poet of her generation , she was called Shaal Mayan by everybody , except by close friends like Delenn) .

psychoadept - thanks for the link. That document is very useful.

Natxomann - thanks for the info about Shaal Mayan. I actually got that info from the rule book :shock:

Actually, Naxtoman, Shaal is both a title AND a name, much in the same way we on Earth might use the name Tailor or Sage (not common currently, but quite often used two centuries ago). Thus, Ghost was not incorrect.

You are right about its origins in the show; Shaal was used as a title. Just do not fall into the easy trap of assuming the way you see something presented is the ONLY way it can be used. :)

-A

I found this site that generates verious style names including Narns.

http://spitfire.ausys.se/johan/names/

Sidney

Back