Name that race

Iron_Chef

Mongoose
What race were the following Conan characters?

MOVIES:
Rexor (CtB)
Thorgrim (CtB)
Valeria (CtB)

PASTICHES:
Hordo (Conan The Invincible, Conan The Defender)
Karela The Red Hawk (Conan The Invincible, Conan The Defender, Conan The Triumphant)

Rexor and Thorgrimm seemed like Hyborians of some sort, possibly AEsir.

Valeria was an Aquilonian in Red Nails, but the CtB character was based more on Belit, who was Pelishtim.

It's been too long since I read the Jordan pastiches with Karela and Hordo, I can't remember what race they were.

Yuan-Ti said:
Are there bonus points for knowing what race Hondo was? :wink:

You'll get the prestigious (and imaginary) gold star award for knowing Hordo's race, something you'd think Robert Jordan would have addressed---but then, he never bothered with Karela's racial origin, either, and she was in one more of his books than Hordo...

Wait a minute, who is Hondo?

Johannixx said:
Rexor and Thorgrimm seemed like Hyborians of some sort, possibly AEsir.

Valeria was an Aquilonian in Red Nails, but the CtB character was based more on Belit, who was Pelishtim.

It's been too long since I read the Jordan pastiches with Karela and Hordo, I can't remember what race they were.

Rexor and Thorgrim were both brown-haired, though, not blonde or red, making Aesir or Vanir hard to tell, though they are the most likely in my mind. Maybe Hyperborean? Doubtless the movie novelization tells us?

Karela had red hair and fair skin (and was greedy as hell), making me think she might be Vanir, yet she shows up unexplained in Turan/Zamora, which is quite a ways from Vanaheim!

Hordo was a big, beefy, fun loving rogue and a strong warrior, but I've never been able to pin down his race. He reminds me of Hundolph in Leonard Carpenter's Conan The Renegade, who was a Brythunian mercenary captain.

The NPC I made for Karela (see my 101 NPCs thread) is the daughter of a Vanir mercenary captain in Zamora. She's a hell-raising teenager in my campaign.

Iron_Chef said:
Rexor and Thorgrim were both brown-haired, though, not blonde or red, making Aesir or Vanir hard to tell, though they are the most likely in my mind. Maybe Hyperborean? Doubtless the movie novelization tells us?

I could see Rexor as a Hyperborean, since he was kind of rangy and gaunt, but Thorgrimm? He was far too beefy and thick for a Hyperborean. As for hair color, well, let's just say that Arnie was neither black-haired nor blue-eyed ;)

The novelisation says Valeria was a Pit Fighter in the past, and a queen of thieves who leads a band of brigands. I haven't found a reference to her race in my brief thumbing of the pages.

On my site, you can see a picture of Valeria that apparently may have been filmed with her in costume as a Pit Fighter.

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/hosted/adilbrand/conan/valeriamovie.htm

Her blonde tresses would indicate a Hyborian or Nordheimer background for her.

VincentDarlage said:
The novelisation says Valeria was a Pit Fighter in the past, and a queen of thieves who leads a band of brigands. I haven't found a reference to her race in my brief thumbing of the pages.

On my site, you can see a picture of Valeria that apparently may have been filmed with her in costume as a Pit Fighter.

http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/hosted/adilbrand/conan/valeriamovie.htm

Her blonde tresses would indicate a Hyborian or Nordheimer background for her.

Hmm, I bought the special edition Conan DVD and the scenes you mention aren't in there. That pisses me off that I paid $20 for an incomplete version (though it did add in a bunch of other stuff, particularly placing Mako's wizard into the battle of the mound, which was cool).

What about a Brythunian background for the movie Valeria? I thought they were blonde, too?

Iron_Chef said:
What about a Brythunian background for the movie Valeria? I thought they were blonde, too?

Brythunians are Hyborians, so of course they were blonde too. By saying she probably is from a Hyborian background that includes, but is not limited to, Brythunia, Nemedia, Aquilonia, Gunderland, Argos and Ophir.

VincentDarlage said:
Iron_Chef said:

Brythunians are Hyborians, so of course they were blonde too. By saying she probably is from a Hyborian background that includes, but is not limited to, Brythunia, Nemedia, Aquilonia, Gunderland, Argos and Ophir.

You're right, but in my mind I tend to separate them out because of their location next to Zamora and the fact they are so universally disrespected.

Back