My proposed Feint fix

Plane Sailing said:
Taharqa said:
You guys are all missing the point.

<snip>
Thus, thieves can still sneak attack, but it will be more difficult to hit a high-level flatfooted character than a low-level flatfooted character.

<snip>

- The idea that soldiers should have to pump cross-class skill points into sense motive to avoid something that is clearly a rules inconsistency is absurd. Sense motive is really supposed to be a "diplomatic" style skill. Why should every soldier in the Hyborian Age be such a good diplomat?

I think you are missing a key point. A feint is resisted by Sense Motive plus BAB, so soldiers don't have to put cross-class skill points into it if they don't want to... they will always get better at resisting feints as they go up in level. It will always be more difficult to feint (and thus bypass the defenses of) a high level character than a low level one of the same class.

Of course, any soldier could put some of their INT skill points into a bit of sense motive for an edge in the issue should they so desire. Serves those who treat INT as a dump stat right too ;)

Cheers

I realize you get your BAB on the roll, but because class skills can be maxed out at level+3, a thief who maxes out bluff is always going to have an edge over the soldier (even more if the thief has high charisma). Some people on this thread and elsewhere have suggested that this is fine and all soldiers should just take cross-class Sense Motive to deal with it. I simply don't buy that as a sensible solution.

The ruling is in now.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1740&sid=2ebb85019a885289c951f0317b463703

Check the RulesMasters section.

Taharqa said:
I realize you get your BAB on the roll, but because class skills can be maxed out at level+3, a thief who maxes out bluff is always going to have an edge over the soldier (even more if the thief has high charisma). Some people on this thread and elsewhere have suggested that this is fine and all soldiers should just take cross-class Sense Motive to deal with it. I simply don't buy that as a sensible solution.

If the Soldier has at least a tiny positive Int modifier those Sense Motive ranks cost him only 1 Skill Point per rank. A few points of positive Wis mod will also eat up that "Level + 3" Class Skill advantage. Seriously a higher level Soldier simply cannot avoid having raised his Int and Wis enough to either be able to invest bonus Skill Points in Sense Motive or attain some level of insight thanks to a positive Wis mod.

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Back