My Fortress

CmdrKiley

Mongoose
Here's a few pics of my modular Fortress that I've been working on this summer. It's part of my modular trench terrain that I've been working on for the past 2 years. It's started as trenches in the great rust desert of Mars for Warzone, but I can use it for just about anything else.

med_gallery_2_4_253794.jpg

Just got some more bugs and couldn't resist putting them all over it, ala Whiskey Outpost, as it seems perfect for Starship Troopers.

med_gallery_2_4_344558.jpg

Still need to finish the towers, doors and floor however. The towers. ladders and metal plates are made from Syberclicks. The barbed wire is made from wooden dowel with Pegasus Hobbies plastic barbed wire set. The walls are made from styrofoam.

med_gallery_2_4_80680.jpg

med_gallery_2_4_197379.jpg

med_gallery_2_4_88288.jpg

There's more pics here.[/url]

very very nice, I hope you can make it smaller, though, or build an inner wall/keep cuz right now its the entire board practically!

Superb work

Oh yeah. It's made up of 1'x1' modules, like the rest of my trench terrain.
I could make it a simple 2'x2' fortress or even an 8' long wall if I like. After I finish the walls & towers, I'll work on interior buildings.

Very nice. It reminds me of when I bought four of those old styrofoam GW mighty fortresses and combined them into a ten foot long Bretonnian Maginot Line. It needs some interior buildings tho'. I mean, where are the Cappys supposed to take all them co-ed showers?

Thanks guys.

This is still some WIP shots.

I had to buy something like 5-6 boxes of Syberclicks for the towers, walkways and ladders. I still have lots of parts and I've got my Hexagon & Platformer stuff too, so I intend to make some prefab buildings later.

First I need to concentrate on the walls and get this project out of the way so I can use the garage for other projects.

Just got those Grey Warrior bugs the other day. Landed a bundle of used ones on eBay. That's what prompted me to start sticking them all over my incomplete fortress. Just couldn't resist seeing what it would look like with all those bugs.

Got lots of Starship Troopers projects currently in the works, just some are held up due to waiting for replacement parts.

you know with a board like that and regular deployment rules I could place my Bug Central INSIDE your fort Lol

Gauntlet- said:
you know with a board like that and regular deployment rules I could place my Bug Central INSIDE your fort Lol

Eww, nasty! But then again, what if he's thought of that and that's why the fort is large enough? It would make a nice kill-zone, now wouldn't it? :wink:

BTW CmdrKiley, good job on the fort. That should be some fun!

perhaps but we both know bugs would open it up on wall, ... hate to be the unluky 1/4th of that army!,

and besides, bugs might also open up 2 nests and god knows how many other baddies all over the place elsewhere!

BTW anyone else think itd be alot cooler if a burrower bug could create a Nest Entrance... or just be able to buy a 'buildable' nest entrance (buildable by any tunneler unit) for say 100-150 points?

Well one of the things I started kicking myself over, was that after I had finished cutting and assembling the walls, I should have worked on a "breached" wall module. I could replace it as someone, or something broke through it. In fact I kept picturing my Tanker lumbering through the rubble.

After I finish the floor, I'm thinking of making some individual 'bug hole' that match the floor.

CmdrKiley said:
Here's a few pics of my modular Fortress that I've been working on this summer. It's part of my modular trench terrain that I've been working on for the past 2 years. It's started as trenches in the great rust desert of Mars for Warzone, but I can use it for just about anything else.

med_gallery_2_4_253794.jpg

Just got some more bugs and couldn't resist putting them all over it, ala Whiskey Outpost, as it seems perfect for Starship Troopers.

med_gallery_2_4_344558.jpg

Still need to finish the towers, doors and floor however. The towers. ladders and metal plates are made from Syberclicks. The barbed wire is made from wooden dowel with Pegasus Hobbies plastic barbed wire set. The walls are made from styrofoam.

med_gallery_2_4_80680.jpg

med_gallery_2_4_197379.jpg

med_gallery_2_4_88288.jpg

There's more pics here.[/url]

Your a god! That is the best fort I have seen.

Thanks all for the compliments.

Our website has gone through some reconstruction and all the old pics went down with the old gallery. I've been doing some more work on it recently and as of today (before it's even 100% completed) started a 3000 point SST game on it.

Heres a few recent pics.

med_gallery_2_16_756446.jpg

med_gallery_2_16_472702.jpg

Now I have opening doors!
med_gallery_2_16_673728.jpg

Yeah the Ape Suit dosn't quite fit throught the doors.

Some interior details I've whipped up the other day. Just base coated them and haven't had time for detailing yet.
med_gallery_2_16_5701.jpg

med_gallery_2_16_166049.jpg

med_gallery_2_16_777730.jpg

med_gallery_2_16_778357.jpg

med_gallery_2_16_630294.jpg

Anyways, I hope to have a battle report on it shortly after I finish this game.

I'm curious... when you battle on that table (which is awesome by the way)... which side does R2D2 play? MI or Arachnids? :D

I didn't see this the first time you posted pix so thanks for getting some more pix up and bumping the thread. I like what you did with the table. I like your use of the platform kits.
Looks like its a lot of fun to be play on that game board.

Well my whole impetus in getting things completed with it (and trying to get a game or two in) is because I have to finish cleaning up the garage so we can park the cars back in it.

Since everything is on 1x1' modular tiles, I can store everything an bunch of plastic tubs. I'll be moving this to the War Room in the basement where I have a 4x8 gaming table. However using the full size of the fortress, I really need a 6x8. I'll probably bring it to my FLGS one day for a massive SST or Warzone game. They have some tables like this where I can merge them together to make a 4x6.

Probably my next step when I have to disassemble everything is to lay it all out, then pack it up and see if I can put all of it (including the rest of the trench tiles, and even the small command outpost module) in the back of my Aztek.

There's more pics of it in the Gallery here.

Back