my Conan game & Sorcerer & Sword

Moxa13 said:
I tried clicking on your link. I states that it cannot be accessed at this time. What a tease..... :D

I have been looking at the Sorcerer stuff myself. I think it would be a great supplement to Conan. Have you looked at the Charnel Gods? It has Conan written all over it.

The Forge AND rpg.net seemed to be down yesterday :(

Charnel gods - I read the ad, sounds more Moorcock than Conan to me (I love Moorcock, at least the early pulp fantasy stuff). The basic Sorcerer game seems very Elric/Stormbringer in tone, PC sorcerers seem an odd idea for a more Howardesque game - I can't think _what_ Conan's 'demon' might be. :)

Hey S'mon, and others, have you read any of the other Sorcerer supplements, or the main game itself? Are they worth picking up even if you aren't looking for another system?

I've been checking out the various articles at Indie-RPGs, and found them to be invaluable! I almost feel like I have to by the Sorcerer game just to pay tribute. :D

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Yokiboy said:
Hey S'mon, and others, have you read any of the other Sorcerer supplements, or the main game itself? Are they worth picking up even if you aren't looking for another system?

I've been checking out the various articles at Indie-RPGs, and found them to be invaluable! I almost feel like I have to by the Sorcerer game just to pay tribute. :D

TTFN,

Yokiboy
#

Hi Yoki - I've only read the free lite version of Sorcerer, plus Sorcerer & Sword. I think S&S is enough to run Conan with, but I'm sure they're interesting in themselves. :)

S'mon said:
Hi Yoki - I've only read the free lite version of Sorcerer, plus Sorcerer & Sword. I think S&S is enough to run Conan with, but I'm sure they're interesting in themselves. :)
Thanks S'mon. I've been reading a lot of cool articles at Indie-RPGs lately, and am very impressed with Ron Edwards ideas. I might just have to buy the game.

TTFN,

Yokiboy

There is no longer a Sorcerer PDF for sale. Adept Press' pattern, so far, is a for-sale PDF release, which is taken down as soon as the print version is made available (and if you did purchase the PDF, you get a discount on the print version). I can't speak for the company, so I can't guarantee this method is a policy or not; it's just what I've observed.

Charnel Gods is much closer to Moorcock. It's a great read, and I'd love to play it, but you're basically going to play the end of the world at the hands of super-powered fantasy anti-heroes.

Sorcerer & Sword is a great reference, not only for pulp fantasy gaming, but pulp fantasy in general. I went out and bought a pile of books referenced in the thing, and gained a whole new appreciation for the genre.

The other Sorcerer supplements may not be as useful. Sorcerer & Soul is great for getting people emotionally hooked into the gaming. It introduces a relationship mapping process that serves to really grab the players' interest, but it's primary inspiration is detective fiction. I love it, but your mileage may vary. I don't feel qualified to judge the other supplements (either because I don't own them or I haven't really absorbed them), but they are all interesting (take Urge, for example, it's The Incredible Hulk RPG, basically).

In regards to running Conan in a 'narrativist' sense (that's GNS-theory narrativism), it's all about the reward system. And that's where Conan's Fate Points and Experience Points come in. If I were to run Conan, I'd consider having each player, in addition to a code of honor, provide me with some sort of emotional drive and a flaw. Then, before play, I'd set up the NPCs to all be related somehow (who's blood related to whom, who's sleeping with whom, who's killed somebody's brother, that sort of thing). When the PCs bolster, stress, or form a relationship, and/or use their drive or flaw, that's when I'd reward experience.

See my post in the What is your attitude on Conan magic? thread for an example of tying all the characters together.

Of course, being the Conan RPG, it's perfectly suitable in-game for a PC to sleep with the princess, then fight off a demon summoned to kill the princess, and get XP & FP for that combat (it's bolstering the relationship). Conversely, the PCs would be discouraged from just going around bashing heads, since getting in a bar fight wouldn't net any XP or FP. Now, if that bar fight was over a PC's drive to Avenge the Downtrodden, suddenly it becomes important and XP/FP rewarding.

Zak Arntson said:
In regards to running Conan in a 'narrativist' sense (that's GNS-theory narrativism), it's all about the reward system.

Hi Zak, I love you man! :D

Thanks for explaining the various Sorcerer supplements, I will probably end up getting them all. I love your ideas on the Narrativist stance to Conan, it would work great IMO, and help motivate me as the GM too.

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Back