Music for Lone Wolf

Wordmaker

Mongoose
Since my Star Wars campaign is rapidly moving towards its conclusion faster than I'd anticipated, I need to start planning my Lone Wolf game.

I like to use music during my games, so much so it feels weird to run or even play in a game without music. What music would people reccommend for Lone Wolf? In particular I'm looking for film scores, I'm a big fan of those, but any suggestions would be a help. I'm focusing on the Kai Monastery, and the campaign won't become especially world-spanning for a while. The players will most likely spend the first couple of adventures in Sommerlund, Durenor, and Slovia. Maybe Vassagonia if I'm feeling mean.

I like to use themes for certain things. I try to make sure I have a track for a love theme, a couple for the forces of evil, forces of good, the players themselves, etc.

It sounds a bit corny, but I know a few RPG computer games come with a soundtrack for the game (in some versions of the game). I got the soundtrack for Icewind Dale with the game, and it isn't bad. I even listen to it sometimes when I'm driving around. I think Baldur's Gate had an edition with the soundtrack as well. Not sure if Morrowind ever had a soundtrack, but that was great music.

I used soundtracks for years. I like it, it helps me tell a story. Over the years i've collected a few.

1. Stargate-has some good adventure music, plus a really good evil one.

2. 13th warrior

3. Braveheart

4. Conan the Barbarian

There are tons of others...so many it boggles the mind.

hpe that helps.

So far I have the following in my collection:

Gladiator
Man in the Iron Mask
The Mummy Returns
Van Helsing
Highlander
Conan the Barbarian*
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon*
The Last Samurai*
The Crow*
Pirates of the Carribbean
The Rock*
Spiderman
Batman
Star Wars (all of it)
The Lord of the Rings (all 3)

Most of those I've already used in games, except the ones with * after them.

Wordmaker nailed most of mine. Braveheart is lone wold. Conan is an old favorite. Also, check out "the perfect storm" soundtrack too. Its surprisingly moving during gameplay.

Well, I'm quite tempted to use the Dragonheart soundtrack for Lone Wolf (should we ever get to play a session). Listened to it quite a bit while playing the gamebooks, and it seemed to mesh well!

Another thing that might work is the Clannad soundtrack for the Robin of Sherwood TV series. I suspect though that it won't work as well when you have to think too much of the series itself when listening to it - that might be a problem I would have.

Sado of the Long Knife said:
It sounds a bit corny, but I know a few RPG computer games come with a soundtrack for the game (in some versions of the game). I got the soundtrack for Icewind Dale with the game, and it isn't bad. I even listen to it sometimes when I'm driving around. I think Baldur's Gate had an edition with the soundtrack as well.
I very much agree, we're using the soundtracks of the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games quite frequently. Torment has good music as well!

Paido

Morrowind did indeed have a soundtrack, as I have discovered. It came with the collectors edition (the black box) of the original game. I might have to pick up a copy of that just for the soundtrack, even though I already have Morrowind.

Have to agree with most of the suggestions posted, especially the Icewind Dale/Baldur's Gate/Torment games soundtracks. I managed to find some music from previous Elder's Scrolls games (Arena) and it's really great too. The LoTR movie soundtracks are hard to beat, though.

But the easiest game to find music for is definitely Star Wars...

I personally use 'The last of the Mohicans' soundtrack often, its fantasy sounding and has a kind of sad ethereal (almost celtic) quality in parts which was kind of fitting since our first session was the massacre of the Kai.

Braveheart is also an awesome soundtrack but for something a little more fast paced if that is the kind of group you have the 'Van Helsing' soundtrack is pretty good for chases and combat moments

Arandur

There's a Glenn Danzig album (not Danzig the whole band, just Glenn by himself) called Black Arias. It's all instrumental, and it is one of the most ominous, grim-sounding fantasy-themed albums I have ever heard. It's just a tiny bit electronic sounding, which is my only complaint (except for the fact that it only has 8 or 9 songs and they are only 2-3 minutes long). But each one of those songs is incredible.

One of the few cases where I'll limit a score to only a single game is Star Wars. The music just doesn't seem to fit anything else.

I've ordered the scores from The Three Musketeers, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, and Last of the Mohicans. Should give me a solid groundwork for Lone Wolf. I'll also be using Pirates of the Carribbean as my primary fight scene music. :D

Wordmaker said:
One of the few cases where I'll limit a score to only a single game is Star Wars. The music just doesn't seem to fit anything else.
Yes, yes. To Wordmaker you listen! :wink:

At least for me, the Star Wars soundtrack is so deeply intertwined with the movies that using it for any other game than Star Wars would probably rather damage the mood the Game Master tries to evoke ...

Paido

When gaming, I tend not to use classical music. I prefer to find modern music that fits the tone and mood of the game, and use it. It allows for a pretty unique background, and a little insight to the game since the bands/songs are tailored to suit the story.

For my LW group (that YET AGAIN has been pushed back) I am going with a not-so-well-known Canadian band that calls themselves Tea Party. With their unique sound (heavily influenced by traditional Indian/Arabic musics), they have the most they can add to our sessions, specifically songs such as "soulbreaking" "heaven coming down" "transmission" and "walking wounded". Even the titles fit pretty well :)

Some albums I can recommend for this is:

Mike Oldfield: Hergest Ridge.
Mike Oldfield: Ommadawn.
Bo Hansson: Lord of the Rings.
Bo Hansson: Out of the wizards hat.
Bo Hansson: Attic thoughts.

Some albums from Bjørn Lynne (http://www.lynnemusic.com/) are also really great.

:)

Sado of the Long Knife said:
Morrowind did indeed have a soundtrack, as I have discovered. It came with the collectors edition (the black box) of the original game. I might have to pick up a copy of that just for the soundtrack, even though I already have Morrowind.

if you look in your Morrowind music directory they are just mp3s... Also the sound FX are useable to if you want.

Personaly I think some of Clint Mansel stuff fits.

tete said:
if you look in your Morrowind music directory they are just mp3s... Also the sound FX are useable to if you want.

Ah, but I have the Xbox version of Morrowind. I thought about getting the PC version because there are so many cool mods, but it didn't seem to make good financial sense to buy two versions of the exact same game.

Back