[MTE] Mercenary Breed Legend Edition is Now Available

mte-aaron

Mongoose
Mystical Throne Entertainment is proud to announce the Mercenary Breed Legend edition core rulebook set is now available in PDF (print-on-demand versions should be available before the end of the month). Mercenary Breed brings sci-fi action and adventure to the vast history of the RuneQuest RPG system with this Legend-powered edition. The series is cut across three books: Mercenary's Handbook (the player's guide), Galaxy Guide (the GM's guide), and the Xenopedia (the universal, sci-fi bestiary). Don't forget to download the Character Sheet and those looking to purchase all three books should grab the Core Set Bundle and save 19%.

This is a full-color book series and the print-on-demand versions will be available in Standard Color in addition to Premium Color as a less expensive purchasing option.

Mercenary Breed Core Set (Legend) - Bundle [PDF: $17.00]

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/130923/Mercenary-Breed-Core-Set-Legend-BUNDLE

Mercenary Breed: Mercenary's Handbook (Legend) [PDF: $1.00]

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/130918/Mercenary-Breed-Mercenarys-Handbook-Legend

Mercenary Breed: Galaxy Guide (Legend) [PDF: $9.95]

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/130919/Mercenary-Breed-Galaxy-Guide-Legend

Mercenary Breed: Xenopedia (Legend) [PDF: $9.95]

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/130921/Mercenary-Breed-Xenopedia-Legend

Mercenary Breed: Character Sheet (Legend) [PDF: Free]

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/130922/Mercenary-Breed-Character-Sheet-Legend

The mercenaries spied a small door to their right which led into the warehouse. The mist only became thicker the closer they approached the door. Assuming their regular positions, Geremiah tapped the control box. The mercenaries froze as they stared into the creatures’ nest. Sthol reached out and tapped the control box again, closing the door. The mercenaries stepped back, staring at each other with discerning looks.

Sthol looked deeply at the others. “Did you see that?”

Geremiah nodded his head. “It looks like the nest. There was some giant, bulbous creature on the far side, probably a hundred of those skittering, scorpion things, and a handful of the larger ones. This must be the mother, and those little ones must be her offspring. I’m assuming they grow into the larger creatures we’ve already fought.” Geremiah glanced toward the far wall. Using his night vision goggles, he could see vents along the way. “The small ones must be traversing the ship through the vents. They must fall into the rooms, get stuck, and grow into the larger ones. That explains why the control boxes are all intact.”

Welcome to Mercenary Breed 2.0!

Mercenary Breed is a science fiction action and adventure toolkit and sandbox setting for Legend. The core setting set is broken into three rulebooks: Mercenary’s Handbook, Galaxy Guide, and Xenopedia. The Mercenary’s Handbook is the player’s guide including everything they need to create characters across a multitude of science fiction themes including space opera, sci-fi horror, and pulp sci-fi. Characters could be bounty hunters, scouts, helmsmen, demolitions experts, biohackers, neuromancers, scientists, engineers, and a whole lot more!

Mercenary Breed is designed to embrace all styles of science fiction setting and campaign design with a number of toolkits and discussions to make that happen. Mercenary’s Handbook provides the character options players can choose from to create those different characters including those utilizing Tech Professions – the sci-fi equivalent of magic, but based on technology.

Mercenary’s Handbook includes:

6 xeno templates representing different species for the characters to choose from.
Reputation-based equipment requisition.
50 sci-fi Professions.
New Heroic Abilities.
Sci-fi weapons, armor, and equipment to choose from.
Information on how to apply different sci-fi themes.
6 Tech Professions.
… and much more!

It looks like the setting is declared as Product Identity, but the new rules are available as Open Game Content:

Product Identity: The following items are hereby identified as Product Identity as defined in the Open Game License version 1.0a, Section 2(e) and are not Open Content: All trademarks, registered trademarks, proper names, dialogue, plots, storylines, locations, artwork and trade dress.

Open Content: Except for material designated as Product Identity (see above), the game mechanics of this Mercenary’s Handbook (Legend) supplement are Open Game Content, as defined in the Open Gaming License version 1.0a Section 1(d). No portion of this work other than the material designated as Open Game Content may be reproduced in any form without written permission.

That is correct. The sci-fi mechanics within it are 100% OGL. The Argo Galaxy sandbox setting is not. However, if someone is ever interested in publishing third party supplements for Mercenary Breed, I am open for licensing (which would be free, but does require the publisher to prove they are capable of producing quality supplements).

However, everyone is free to publish their own sci-fi supplements through the OGL that aren't based on the Argo Galaxy (which is really the only setting in the book).

Yeehaw congrats to Mystical Throne, being a playtester myself, I can tell they did a good work !
Again thanks to Aaron & Mystical Throne !!

Lilor[FR said:
"]Yeehaw congrats to Mystical Throne, being a playtester myself, I can tell they did a good work !
Again thanks to Aaron & Mystical Throne !!

Thanks for that! I'm very excited with how the Legend edition came together. Especially the Xeno Templates for character creation.

Deffo interested in the paper versions when they come out. Is there a summary of rules additions to the standard Legend this game introduces? I would be curious about combat rules especially?

I don't have a summary, although the additions are not that significant. There are a few new skills, the introduction of firearms with armor penetration, new combat maneuvers for automatic weapons, tech professions which are magic professions geared toward technology, a collection of character races called xeno templates, and lots of new traits for characters and creatures.

Ok, thanks Aaron. I am contemplating a bug-hunt type game with Colonial Marines vs. Aliens, so MB would be right up my alley? I was considering using some other version of rules originally, maybe Millenium's End (deffo not the Phoenix Command/Aliens system), but I just might go with MB instead. Plus I got some other sci-fi ideas brewing in my mind...

Verderer said:
Ok, thanks Aaron. I am contemplating a bug-hunt type game with Colonial Marines vs. Aliens, so MB would be right up my alley? I was considering using some other version of rules originally, maybe Millenium's End (deffo not the Phoenix Command/Aliens system), but I just might go with MB instead. Plus I got some other sci-fi ideas brewing in my mind...

Absolutely! In fact, the Galaxy Guide goes into detail about using Mercenary Breed across different sci-fi subgenres, such as military sci-fi. There are plenty of awesome weapons to choose from and you can grab some inspiration and adversaries from the Xenopedia.

For instance, there's a sample mission in the Galaxy Guide and an entry in the Xenopedia that present the Swarm special trait for creatures. Such as a group of bugs may do.

The printed edition of all three Mercenary Breed books for Legend, in standard and premium color, are now available! These books are full color with the premium versions looking amazing!

Mercenary's Handbook [PDF: $1.00 | Softcover Standard: $14.95 | Softcover Premium: $24.95]

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/130918/Mercenary-Breed-Mercenarys-Handbook-Legend

Galaxy Guide [PDF: $9.95 | Softcover Standard: $14.95 | Softcover Premium: $24.95]

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/130919/Mercenary-Breed-Galaxy-Guide-Legend

Xenopedia [PDF: $9.95 | Softcover Standard: $14.95 | Softcover Premium: $24.95]

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/130921/Mercenary-Breed-Xenopedia-Legend

Back