MRQ Games Masters Shield

Ravage

Mongoose
Although this took me back to my teens playing AD&D with the vertiable thought of needing to erect a partition between myself and players, I thought whilst at continuum I'd purchase a copy of the shield to show good willing and support the cause!

I actually opened the shrinkwrap today (to check if the dodge/paryr tables were the same as in the rulesbook) and I have to say I'm very imporessed with the quality of this item! Its on a super-duper cardstock that looks hardwearing, has all the charts pretyt neat and tidy reprinted and would make a great rules pdf supplement summary.

So those who'd like to put up a stud wall between them and their players, or someone who wants the convenience of a tables summary I'd actually recommend this product - and heh - the landscape illustration will keep your players more than entertained!

Thank you for this short review of the "shield" :)

Would you be kind to answer one of my biggest concerns? Is it a low profile GM screen? or is it a very high one?

It matters greaty to me where we sit and play, because a low screen and wide lets me see the players without problem, without them seeing my notes. The higher ones (basically most normal format screens) makes me have to "look over" the screen in order to get direct eye contact with the players.

Ravage said:
So those who'd like to put up a stud wall between them and their players, or someone who wants the convenience of a tables summary I'd actually recommend this product - and heh - the landscape illustration will keep your players more than entertained!

Considering some of the players I've had in the past, something with razor wire on top would be even more useful...

Then again, probably only for D&D games :)

Mac V said:
Was the chart problem in the book corrected on the screen?
As of the last I heard, the chart is not in error. Hit determination is a two-step process:

1. Attacker rolls to hit

2. If successful, Defender can choose to use a reaction (if available) to Parry/Dodge. Both make an opposed role, and then use the results table.

I thought I read somewhere that the combat chart in the book was wrong, but corrected in the text?

Mac V said:
I thought I read somewhere that the combat chart in the book was wrong, but corrected in the text?

Yup, I think Matthew posted that when he wrote the rules he didn't do the chart (which got added later on), therefore the text is 100% correct and throw the chart out the window (if the two disagree)

Edit: there we go - http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=258813&highlight=#258813

Archer said:

Would you be kind to answer one of my biggest concerns? Is it a low profile GM screen? or is it a very high one?

Its the same height as the rulebook by 6 panels that neatly fold into 1 piece. They rulebook is and inch shorter of a4 but same width - I'm thinking this is US Letter sized if I recall correctly.

Ravage said:
Archer said:

Its the same height as the rulebook by 6 panels that neatly fold into 1 piece. They rulebook is and inch shorter of a4 but same width - I'm thinking this is US Letter sized if I recall correctly.

Thank you for the answer.
Unfortunately this is the larger size GM screen I was talking about. I will not be able to use whatever pretty art are on it, because I will have to make my own :\

Archer said:
Unfortunately this is the larger size GM screen I was talking about. I will not be able to use whatever pretty art are on it, because I will have to make my own :\

I don't think you'll have to wait long. :) I personally LOVE landscape style screens over the more traditional ones, for the very reasons you articulated.

Hyrum.

HyrumOWC said:
Archer said:

I don't think you'll have to wait long. :) I personally LOVE landscape style screens over the more traditional ones, for the very reasons you articulated.

Hyrum.

Hmm, you mean there will be alternative GM screens produced in the landscape style? if so, where can I pre-order one? :D

Archer said:
Hmm, you mean there will be alternative GM screens produced in the landscape style? if so, where can I pre-order one? :D

With OGL rules I'm sure someone will produce one.

Hyrum.

HyrumOWC said:
Archer said:

With OGL rules I'm sure someone will produce one.

Hyrum.

True :)

The OGL aspect of MRQ has me doing backflips of joy. Finally a non-d20 system I can use for the settings I am working on.

Yup, I think Matthew posted that when he wrote the rules he didn't do the chart (which got added later on), therefore the text is 100% correct and throw the chart out the window (if the two disagree)

That's what I would like to know. Does that chart appear on the screen, and if so,is it corrected?

Back