Movie Thoughts

A

Anonymous

I just watched the movie again (the good one). And thought about this. When they go to steal the princess from Thulsa Doom, they bring an extra horse for her to ride on when they leave.

Okay, how many of you would have forgotten to bring that extra horse? Be honest.

DrSKull said:
I just watched the movie again (the good one). And thought about this. When they go to steal the princess from Thulsa Doom, they bring an extra horse for her to ride on when they leave.

Okay, how many of you would have forgotten to bring that extra horse? Be honest.

Pretty much everybody, except that I read a lot of Conan novels and this kind of thing sticks out in my head, particularly bringing sumpter beasts for desert travel. So in Conan, I would remember, but wouldn't bother in D&D, because such realism isn't really important. :!:

Oh, Iron Chef, you did NOT just say that, did you? There are a number of us out here who consider that kind of realism extremely important in our 'plain old' D&D games. :)

-A

Mongoose August said:
Oh, Iron Chef, you did NOT just say that, did you? There are a number of us out here who consider that kind of realism extremely important in our 'plain old' D&D games. :)

-A

Not just in our D&D games. After all, I'm the guy who wrote up a 2 1/2-page unofficial errata for Weapons Locker, because those guys don't know a damn thing about guns.

Hehe, I knew I'd ruffle a few feathers with that post. :wink: I meant no insult to anyone who tries to inject realism into their D&D game. My point was that most people don't bother, and trying to achieve realism is much harder in "plain old D&D" when you've got crazy high level magic and incoherent "everything but the kitchen sink" settings like FR to factor in. Mundane things are given short-shrift if they are covered at all.

Now, in modern settings, there is generally much more concern with such things, because we all know how modern day earth works... except Cat Piss Man, but that's another story.

So he took a horse. But did he ever ask her father if she could ride? I can see a princes not knowing how to ride. If she didn't know how, I would have considered the extra horse a possible detriment. Sure you can have a horse on a lead and a change of animals would be good if you’re doubling up, but having a horse on a lead while galloping isn’t to easy.

Of course, she can ride in the movie, but it could have been the other way.

By doubling up, do you mean sitting her with another rider? Wouldn't that slow down the one horse (depending on how big she was)?

First, it's fair to assume that almost everybody, especially the daughter of a king, would know how to ride – this is a pulp fantasy setting, after all.

Second, horses are herd animals, and have an instinct to run in groups. Even if the princess couldn't ride, they could strap her into the saddle and bring her with them with trivial difficulty.

Last group I played in, the GM banned teleport as he felt it made the game too easy. Next session ( we were just about to hit epic levels at the time from having started at 4th level ) the sorceror in the party says, "Okay, everyone ready? I am going to gate us to Mechanus, and then we'll gate back over to Furyondy." The GM at this point turn rather red in the face.

Back