Morale, Random events, Miss-understood orders

OK, most of the latest land rules have mechanisms to cover the above events, but sea rules don't seem to. For instance, did every captain follow orders exactly, every time? If not then the rules should allow for this, maybe your line of cruisers all turn to port except SS Blockhead that carries straight on, I'm sure this sort of thing must have happened. Guns wasted ammo firing when out of range or at the wrong target, it happens in every theatre of war, but not in 20th century naval rules.
So c'mon guys, lets make our rules more true to life and have some errors, cowardly crews, engine breakdowns and anything else you can think of.

One thing that can be done mostlyin campaign games would be to creat a deck of cards with traits such as Timid, Fearless. Another thought would be to create a deck of random events that each player could draw from each turn. Fuel getting low, steam Leak and such that would effect different ships.

Card: Steam Leak Affects one random ship type.
1- BB, roll for random ship in the stated class
2- CA, roll for random ship in the stated class
3- CL, roll for random ship in the stated class
4- DD, roll for random ship in the stated class
5- CV, roll for random ship in the stated class
6- Sub, roll for random ship in the stated class

Effects: Ship loses 1" of movement for one turn.

You can also look at the Admirals in the rules for some ideas.

I agree with the above and have a similar system. At the moment I am toying with this idea for command control :- throw 1 d6 for each ship and place it by the vessel, then, as ships with lower scores will move first, any pair of dice can be swapped around but if you do then each die must be turned on 1 number. You can do this as many times as you want but each time you add 1.
When both players are satisfied with their dice the move begins. All 1s move and fire first, then 2s, 3s etc, however 6s cannot take any action other than a move straight ahead.
By this method not all ships are effective every move and the more orders you give(represented by changing the dice) the more 6s there are and the less ships respond to your wishes.

Hope that all makes sense! I know what I mean :D

Back