<=* MONGOOSE INFANTRY - TROOPER RECRUITMENT DRIVE *=>

On July 1st 2013 the Mongoose Infantry (or "MI) officially rebooted under our new program. This complete overhaul isn't done with waving a magik wand or easily accomplished overnight. The changes we've made have been getting tested, revised, and fine tuned to make them the best.

This new program with much more to offer in rewards compared to the past, including (depending on the individual trooper's rank):
  • Free PDF when the physical book is ordered (must be on same order)
  • Reimbursement of convention badges in Event Credit when at least 8 hrs of Demo Events are reported (and a receipt of badge is provided)
  • Incentive for Recruiting New Troopers
  • Increases in the Hourly Credit Rate
  • etc.

All of our PDF forms can be filled out on the computer, and even saved to a PDF you can't edit (good for the application and Redemption Orders).

Prospective troopers are of course to have some basic starting squads/fleets for at least one of the games they will be running Demo Events of but their collection can grow quickly through the Event Credit to be earned, starting at $10/hr (or higher as you advance in the program).

In April '13 the MI stopped running Demo Events of all MGP RPG lines, but anyone who plays even one of our miniature games can join the MI program running Demo events of that miniatures game, and the Event Credit earned can be spent on anything, including RPGs (plenty of troopers took advantage of the recent "Gencon Traveller Sale" spending 20% less of their event credit on each book).

This is important so let me say it again:
All prospective troopers should already have (or be willing to purchase on their own) enough product to run at least a small 2-person game. For ACTA:SF this is 2 ships about 360 pts. You are not allowed to be using say "Star Trek Clix" to teach ACTA:SF. You also need a game store and/or convention you are willing to go to and run events. You can start out supporting just one game, and expand to others as you earn Event Credit.

The current Trooper Pack and Application PDFs are available below. If you wish to apply:
  1. Use the application (can be found on the MGP Demo Team Page)
  2. PRINT it out as a "read-only" PDF (Instructions below)
  3. Send it to "monooseinfantry@mongoosepublishing.com" with subject "[MI] <your name>

If you have any questions feel free to PM "MongooseInfantryHQ" on the forums or email MI-HQ. We'll happily help you out. Either method please use the Subject "MI Question"[/b]
TURNING APPLICATION INTO A READ-ONLY PDF

Depending on what software you are using, and how you "save" the completed form, there are a few small issues. Here is how I "saved form as read-only" with Adobe Reader X:
  1. Open (of course)
  2. Ensure "Highlight Existing Fields" is active (fields will show light blue or yellow)
  3. Completely fill out the form.
  4. DON'T "sign" it. I tried that and got nothing but errors. Signing is for forms that are set up for digital signatures used in tracking, verification and what-not. You are simply emailing it directly to me/MGP so that level of security isn't needed, and honestly I never even thought to set the form up for that.
  5. *print* - like to your printer to your printer but instead select your "PDF Driver"
    • You need to have a "PDF Driver" as a printer, I have "Adobe Printer", and CutePDF offers a free one.
    • You Might get an error about location... save to a different directory than where the form was opened from.
    • Use any filename for the application you want.

-*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*-
Al Beddow
Coordinator Mongoose Infantry Event Operations
Member Mongoose Infantry since 2003
mongooseinfantry {at} mongoosepublishing {dot} com

This intrigues me. So does this have to be at conventions or can demos at the FLGS count, too? Also, any cjhance that uou will ever support rpgs again?

JRoss said:
This intrigues me. So does this have to be at conventions or can demos at the FLGS count, too?
Actual physical stores, Standard Conventions, Club Game Days held in public place open to public advertised to public (they can charge admission or be free) all count as valid.

Private homes, private "events" etc. do not.

Also, any cjhance that uou will ever support rpgs again?
Matthew has agreed that he and I will revisit this in 2014. No promises.

But for now, at least anyone enjoying even one of our miniature games can apply to be a trooper and earn credit that they can use to get RPG books with.

I hope that helps.
Al Beddow
Coordinator Mongoose Infantry Event Operations
Member Mongoose Infantry since 2003
mongooseinfantry {at} mongoosepublishing {dot} com

I'd love to be a part of this, but I stick with RPGs and in particular Traveller. I even held a demo of the game a few weeks ago. Please consider broadening this program to include RPGs.

Jeff Hopper said:
I'd love to be a part of this, but I stick with RPGs and in particular Traveller. I even held a demo of the game a few weeks ago. Please consider broadening this program to include RPGs.
Jeff (and all fans of our RPG products).

I appreciate the input. Let me make that clear up front. Matthew and I both know we have a great fan base for our RPGs and do want to support you. If I may explain

Before Minis came back into the picture I was a monster on running Traveller Demo Events, especially at cons. A three-day con I'd be doing six or seven 4-hr games, on a four day con it was 8 or 9. The change to minis was killing me too.

Matthew and I went round and round on this trying to find a way to keep RPG Events. It came down to simple "return on investment"... a good RPG event is about 6 people for four hours, a Minis event can see 20+ people over the same four hours.

So for now RPG support from the MI is off the table, with the promise to revisit the issue in 2014.

That said, I know many people who love our RPGs also love one or more of our Minis games, and would benefit from being on the MI running Demo Events for our Minis earning credit they (at least in part) can spend on RPG stuff from us.

MongooseInfantryHQ said:
Jeff Hopper said:
Jeff (and all fans of our RPG products).

I appreciate the input. Let me make that clear up front. Matthew and I both know we have a great fan base for our RPGs and do want to support you. If I may explain

Before Minis came back into the picture I was a monster on running Traveller Demo Events, especially at cons. A three-day con I'd be doing six or seven 4-hr games, on a four day con it was 8 or 9. The change to minis was killing me too.

Matthew and I went round and round on this trying to find a way to keep RPG Events. It came down to simple "return on investment"... a good RPG event is about 6 people for four hours, a Minis event can see 20+ people over the same four hours.

So for now RPG support from the MI is off the table, with the promise to revisit the issue in 2014.

That said, I know many people who love our RPGs also love one or more of our Minis games, and would benefit from being on the MI running Demo Events for our Minis earning credit they (at least in part) can spend on RPG stuff from us.

Thank you for the honesty in your response. It does help my understanding of the situation. All too often it becomes easy to forget that this hobby we enjoy also must be looked at from a business standpoint if that business wishes to remain viable.

Jeff Hopper said:
MongooseInfantryHQ said:
. . .
I'm with Jeff on this point -- I'd be happy to demonstrate Traveller to earn free stuff. But I understand the return on investment too.

Here's an idea for when you revisit:

Since an RPG demo shows off your products to fewer people, you could just reduce the goodies one earns by demonstrating them, or offer a minimal benefit plus a bonus for sales made during the event -- or a bonus for sales that use a coupon code on coupons the demonstrator can hand out during the event.

One kind of reduced benefit might be a credit that can only be used on digital copies of your products, not hard-copy books, miniatures, etc. Although they do have the potential* indirect cost to you of sales not made, downloads at least don't have the direct costs of printing, mailing stuff, etc.

I don't do a lot of conventions anyway, but a demo gratuity might motivate me to run a specific game rather than playing something else.

* The reason I say potential cost there is that it is only an actual cost if it's something that the recipient would have paid for if they weren't getting it as a gratuity.

[Edit: formatting only]

steve98052 said:
Jeff Hopper said:
MongooseInfantryHQ said:
. . .
I'm with Jeff on this point -- I'd be happy to demonstrate Traveller to earn free stuff. But I understand the return on investment too.

Here's an idea for when you revisit:
All heard and on the list to be discussed.

Actually while I won't list every option considered, the "reduced level of goodies" and "pdf only" ideas were put on the table.

The "coupon to show results from a demo event" is interesting, although I don't know if that will push the program across the border from "volunteer demonstrator" into "corporate sales" like thing.

Again, put on the list for 2014.

Back