Mongoose en Français

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
At the end of this month, Mongoose is creating its own translation department for the purpose of converting our books for our friends, French gamers!

The first release, available from both good French games stores and direct mail order from Mongoose, will be the Elric of Melnibone rulebook, arriving in August. From then, you will see many new French language books from Mongoose, including RuneQuest, Paranoia and Traveller.

Look out for our French team at conventions later this year!

Please make sure that the website clearly indicates which books are in which language Matt. That is to say presumably there will be two listings for Elric of Melnibone, make it REALLY obvious which one is which :lol:

Also, when are you going to do Glaswegian Translations? :lol:

LBH

As a frenchman and huge fan of MRQ (hell, I even translated the SRD in french with a friend), I wildly applaud at the news!

I'm so happy to read this news, as a french fan of your product for bab 5 :)

If you need help for something, mail me.

Daidoji Kaneda said:
And who will make the translations ??
Will Conan be part of this program ??

We have our own Official French Person joining staff at the end of this month and yes, Conan is part of the plan!

We'll post the full release schedule very soon but yes, Hawkmoon is on the cards too :)

As for the team, it will be headed up by one Sandrine Thirache (very French person), here at Mongoose HQ.

Great news. I hope Traveller will be a success in France, my French friends won't look sideways at me when I mention it then.

zanwot said:
Great news. I hope Traveller will be a success in France, my French friends won't look sideways at me when I mention it then.

I traveller is traduce, will the traveller bab 5 books traduce too ?

Hello

Very happy to know that Elric is going to be translated in french !!

As we say at home: "du sang et des âmes pour mon seigneur Arioch !"

By

Are you guys going to do Spanish translations too? Great for marketing in Latin America :)

Mike

There's a release schedule in the last S&P, as any Mongoose fan should have seen by now:

August : Elric of Melniboné
September: Elric: Bright Shadows
October: Hawkmoon
November: Elric: Magic of the Young Kingdoms

How will Mongoose handle distribitution? Will you keep your current french distributor, Millennium, (which is also Ubik/Edge Enternainment, publisher of the french Atlantean edition of Conan) or do it by yourselves ?

Millenium is the major specialized games french distributor, as Hexagonal has stopped and Asmodée has became too big fo the specialized market. There are still some independant or little editors/distributors but local game stores often have a hard time ordering from them, as their catalogue is generally slim. As a game retailer, I would advise to distribute your products through Millennium, as most LGS are ordering more often from them than from any other distributor, because of their wide product range. On the bad side, you might fear that your books could somewhat be "lost" in their large product list.

I don' t know what do you expect from french sales but you probably know that the market is rather small. A "succesful" game like the last edition of Call of Cthulhu that was released at the end of 2008 has sold around 2000 + copies. Elric has always been pretty popular in France, and the different editions of Stormbringer and Elric always sold correctly. So I hope MRQ Elric will meet the same success.

Back