Mongoose 2300AD Progress Report

Looks like there'll be some expansion books in future then? :mrgreen:

Seriously, if things need cutting, release them later as an expansion rather than ditch all the work thats been done :)

An Aconit..bit rough..
lasfayette.png

Sorry blatant plug again... heres a the 4 way shot of the French Aconit... The original design appeared in the original Traveller 2300* and Star Cruiser. Total goit of a design to get right, but after much wibbling, she's done.. and it helped me get over some artists block on something else I am doing.....

aconit2a_lowrez.png

Big version:http://biomassart.wordpress.com/201...nit-class-frigate-f170-la-fayette-4-way-shot/

Big brown doors dorsal are the missile bays.

*Not sure if it was 2nd edition only..

EDit:
http://biomassart.wordpress.com/2011/08/23/traveller-2300-la-fayette-on-patrol/

One of the bigger atmosphere-capable ships. Guess what I have to stat up tonight..?

I wonder what a deckplan of that thing would look like?

2300AD Outline

The "✔" means the chapter is complete

Introduction and Acknowledgements ✔

Chapter 1: Background ✔

Chapter 2: The Core Worlds ✔

Chapter 3: The Frontier ✔

Chapter 4: Foundations and Corporations ✔

Chapter 5: Aliens of 2300AD ✔

Chapter 6: Character Generation ✔

Chapter 7: Augmentations and DNA modification ✔

Chapter 8: Technology Essay ✔

Chapter 9: Equipment and Weapons

Chapter 10: Cortex-hacking ✔ (brain-hacking)

Chapter 11: Vehicles (including combat walkers)

Chapter 12: Starship Design ✔

Chapter 13: Starships, spacecraft, and space stations

Chapter 14: Space Operations and Space Combat ✔

Chapter 15: Space Encounters ✔

Chapter 16: NPCs and Animals

Chapter 17: GM’s Handbook ✔

Colin said:
One of the bigger atmosphere-capable ships. Guess what I have to stat up tonight..?

I wonder what a deckplan of that thing would look like?

There is one floating around on teh interwebz somewhere. I'm sure I have a dog-eared printout somewhere.

G.

Yep. Found it. I'm hoping Mr. Middenface makes a new one, based on the Mongoose 2300AD design...

Yeah, yeah, I'll get right on it. As soon as Vehicles, Equipment, and NPCs and Aliens is down.

So may be tomorrow.

GypsyComet said:
Is the Brown Dwarf problem being addressed, or is the 2300AD setting about to explode?

What brown dwarf problem? :wink:

It's being ignored. The damned things are all over the place, and make as much of a hash of the setting as updated star lists do.

There may be a throwaway line to the effect that their radiation/heat/midichlorian counts :twisted: make them unsuitable for discharging stutterwarp drives, but that causes as many problems as it solves.

Suggest that Brown Dwarf stars only barely qualify, and not many do at all. This allows you to keep the old "Backdoor" scenario from Challenge as a Brown Dwarf that *does* work, while letting you ignore any others in inconvenient places.

Perhaps the discharge rate for stutterwarp drives is inversely proportional to the star's gravity/mass.
Low mass stars require far longer to properly discharge the drives than 'usual' ( assumes solar mass = 1? ). This might also make high mass stars advantageous due to shorter discharge times.
Most brown dwarfs are so low in mass that discharge times take a long long long time, but it is possible if you have the time to spend ( weeks? months? longer? )
Perhaps a chart could be made that makes the relationship a log curve such that brown dwarfs take a long^3 time without making massive stars take mere moments.

just an idea

Ishmael said:
Perhaps a chart could be made that makes the relationship a log curve such that brown dwarfs take a long^3 time without making massive stars take mere moments.

just an idea

This sounds sensible.

There are other problems though with updated star charts. If the map changes significantly, while it may be more realistic for what we know now, it is no longer 2300AD. A.i. I'm all for new settings with up-to-date realistic star charts. But those settings aren't 2300AD.

Ishmael said:

just an idea

It still re-writes the list of accessible stars by a huge number, and brings up the question of gas giants. If the smallest of "stars" can discharge a drive, why not Jupiter?

I think the threshold for any discharge at all needs to be set to exclude all but a very few browns. This allows all previous material to stand, even if the wording is slightly different.

As an aside, most brown dwarf stars won't even be evaluated for this until two-stage travel is perfected, late in the previously published timeline.

Why shouldn't Jupiter be able to be used to discharge drives? It has a gravity well.
So what if it might take decades ( centuries? ) or more to complete the discharge.. :twisted:

Why not let any gravity well be used for discharging the drives?
Even Mars, although it might take millenia.....
Obviously, having no gravity well takes an infinite time to discharge...

Rather than saying " You can't because the rules name an arbitrary cut-off point.", try saying " Sure you can, but its not practical in any sense of the word without a generation ship. "

The more I hear of this setting the more I look forward to it. From what I have read I would happily pay for a 256 to 300 page hardback of 2300 AD. :D

In the original 2300 you could discharge into any gravity well. Most people used whatever planet they were going to. Or they used handy gas giants for intermediate stops. That way they did not have to travel deep into systems they were not going to.
I think Colin's approach of "What brown dwarfs" works the best. After all, we are already ignoring the refined stellar positions to avoid messing up the arms. After that what are a few brown dwarfs between friends. :wink:

Back