Mongoose 2300AD Progress Report

Colin said:
The core book contains a paragraph or two on most of the planets in the solar, including UWPs and/or UCPs as appropriate. Most colony worlds don't get much more, not in this book.

Looks like a Colonial Sourcebook is on the cards :)

This is awesome news! Thanks Colin and everyone else involved in the project. 2300AD is still my all time favorite RPG game/setting.

Colin if I make ask something, are you planning on reexamining the crew requirements for ships?

It always struck me as overkill that civilian ships have the same crew requirements, at least on the bridge, as a military one. Example: having the bridge computer work station manned, which is described as primarily for redundancy is a bit much in my opinion.

At any rate thanks for reading.

Boilerman said:
Colin if I make ask something, are you planning on reexamining the crew requirements for ships?

It always struck me as overkill that civilian ships have the same crew requirements, at least on the bridge, as a military one.

I would have to agree. One of my few issues with the original 2300AD were the large crew requirements if playing a Traveller-style campaign.

I'm beating my skull against ship design even now. Crew sizes are something I'm wrestling with. I'm looking at military ships having 3 watches, registered commercial vessels 2 watches (1 full watch, 2 half-watches), and non-registered (ie player) ships needing 1.5 watches, but always at least 2 bridge crew at all times.

Sturn said:
Boilerman said:

It always struck me as overkill that civilian ships have the same crew requirements, at least on the bridge, as a military one.

I would have to agree. One of my few issues with the original 2300AD were the large crew requirements if playing a Traveller-style campaign.

I think this was a hold-over from the low reliance on AI and robotics in general. This occurs in Traveller as well. If one were to add good AI then crews could be reduced substantially. Ironically, Ships of the French Arm had a few robot spaceships (even with a bit of weaponry) but they were relatively old cargo vessels. The other thing is that given the complexity of space combat at stutterwarp speeds it would be impossible for a human to manage the task without massive computer assistance. Sure the game had stats for targeting computers but why not just eliminate the middleman and have unmanned drones or at least automated weapon's stations?

It would be interesting to see the Kafer reaction when they realize that humans go out of their way to "sanitize and automate" warfare while they revel in the gritty face-to-face slaughter aspects that make them smarter. Of course too much automation would make the game Transhuman Space with stutterwarp (not a bad idea really, but also not at all 2300AD).

Either way I'm really looking forward to this Colin. I think you did a pretty good job on 2320AD despite my objections towards the surveillance society aspects of the Core Worlds. So good luck and get to work.

Benjamin

Colin said:
I'm beating my skull against ship design even now. Crew sizes are something I'm wrestling with. I'm looking at military ships having 3 watches, registered commercial vessels 2 watches (1 full watch, 2 half-watches), and non-registered (ie player) ships needing 1.5 watches, but always at least 2 bridge crew at all times.

Now don't go doing that, can' be having holes in your head at least not till you finish it off. We still need V7 to tear apart.

Colin said:

Two on the bridge, at minimum and under most conditions, has always seemed the right number to me. Thanks for sharing your ideas Colin, and listening.

I think I've got crew sizes settled. Starship design is at v7, but I think v8 may be the winner.

Core worlds is done. Aliens are done. DNA modification and cybernetics is done. Background is done. Vehicles is almost done. Descriptive text for starships is done. Starship operations is done. Equipment is done. NPCs is still left, animals, character design is very nearly done. And frontier worlds, including a few under/un-explored worlds.

Colin, may we assume that the vehicle rules for 2300 will be fully compatible with the new traveller vehicle rules that were written by you and Mr Hahn?

Yep. I'm working on those at this moment. The rules were written with 2300AD in mind, in fact, so that every vehicle available in 2300AD can be designed with those rules. The only thing I need to add are some specific weapons.

Colin said:
ICore worlds is done. Aliens are done. DNA modification and cybernetics is done. Background is done. Vehicles is almost done. Descriptive text for starships is done. Starship operations is done. Equipment is done. NPCs is still left, animals, character design is very nearly done. And frontier worlds, including a few under/un-explored worlds.

Great to hear Colin! Thanks for the update.

Nice!

Trying to keep my expect-a-lot-o-meter within reasonable limits, but still very eager to get my hands on the printed stuff! Not particularly keen on the Traveller ruleset, but it sorta kinda works still, I suppose. Heck, I was ready to buy the 2320 with d20, which I most certainly do not like, which says a lot about the setting.

I wonder what will arrive first; snow or 2300?

Where I live, it'll be 2300AD. Then again, we don't tend to get much in the way of snow here.

Slowly working my way through the editing. The starship design is finished, with testing complete. A big thanks to all who assisted me with the testing, and who have helped me by designing several ships for the book.

Character generation is in testing now, and I'm working on v2 of the rules at the moment. Several great suggestions so far.

I'm just in the process of finishing up the Chinese Arm, and after that it's nothing but designs: ships, vehicles, robots, animals and NPCs. Since I designed three of those five systems, it should go OK. Realistically, I expect everything except the NPCs to be done by the end of the week.

No, really, this time.

Huh. At this moment, 2300AD comes in at around 150,000 words. That would be 200 pages, without any illustrations.

Back