Model Advice

LastBest

Mongoose
I am just about to start playing this game. Just a few days ago I heard that this is the last month that every model can be ordered. So I would to have some advice about which fleet scale models to buy.

I want to buy an Earth or a Narm fleet. And maybe some enemies to fight against.

All depends on what size fleets you think of using.
however the best ships for Narn

Patrol. nothing excels, personal choice, however you may want some for init sinks
Skirmish. Majority of peeps thing the Ka'Toc is the beens knees, it's certainly not far off, personally prefer the thentus, can't go wrong if you buy both, the other ships are less usefull
Raid, Var'Nic is one of the best raid ships in the game, and only a fool doesn't choose Dag'Kars. The T'Loth and G'Karith are decent, but not in the class of the other twp
Battle, well you have a G'QUan or varients, looks superb, less useful, but your only choice if you want anything at this level
War, take your pick, the Bin Tak is one of the finest warships in the game, the G'Vrahn is likewise. most people rate the G'Vrahn over the Bin Tak. I'd be happy with either, however the bin tak just looks cooler!
Armageddon. you can't get a model for this. If you get a proxy, it's a great ship.

At first I was thinking about having 1 command (war) vessel. And then 2 battle, 4 raid, 8 Skirmish and then fighters for patrol. But I will continue to use the box counters for the fighters.

With your advice for Narm it would be:
1 Bin'Tak (Dreadnought)
2 G'Quan (Heavy Cruiser)
4 Var'Nic (Long range Destroyer)
4 DagKar (Missile Cruiser)
6 Thentus (Frigate)

Hiff sums up the ships well but it may be worth getting a few different ship types - say 1 T'Loth, a scout, and a Ka'toc or two just to give you some variety when playing.

Of course if you are looking for enemies - well the Centauri is your classic one and they have much better ships :wink:

To give you fun battles -

get a Primus or two, a few Vorchan, Balvarin, couple of Elutarin/Alutarin - not optimal Centauri fleet but it wll give a good fight that the Narn may even be able to win

(I'm kiding of course - they have no chance - I would advise against allowing the hunting pack)

The other way is of course an Earth and Minbari fleet - but this can be as one sided as the above depending n the stealth rolls

hope you enjoy and welcome to ACTA :)

It also worth noting that I think Ironwind will be selling ships till end of the year - just not casting any more so once they are gone they are gone. I imagine the old AOG site will continue to sell as well beyond the date.

Shadows would also be nice.

And you could use the Army of Light to get a wide range of ships to fight against the shadows or you could use them with a Narn fleet.

En plus shadow vessels have high PL so you won´t need very much.

If you get a Shadow Ship and 3 Scouts - you can use the Ship as a Stalker (battle level), Young and Ancient Shadow (war and Armegeddon)

Trying to fight a combined Centauri / Shadow fleet with Narn would be a bit of a nightmare.

The above Shadow fleet would give a good 5pt raid fleet - probably the most common game fought - its not too many ships and easily playable over an evening.

A 5pt Centauri (thats not too broken) - Primus, Balvarin, Elutarin, 2x Vorchan.

5pt Narn - 2 x Varnic, 2 Dag-Kar, 4 Thentus

Well this gives me enough feedback for a Narm-Shadow set.

So has anyone a good idea for a small human fleet? I am thinking about crusade and civil war period.

LastBest said:
At first I was thinking about having 1 command (war) vessel. And then 2 battle, 4 raid, 8 Skirmish and then fighters for patrol. But I will continue to use the box counters for the fighters.

With your advice for Narm it would be:
1 Bin'Tak (Dreadnought)
2 G'Quan (Heavy Cruiser)
4 Var'Nic (Long range Destroyer)
4 DagKar (Missile Cruiser)
6 Thentus (Frigate)

The others have posted some sound advice and I too would recommend a little more variety in your ships as you will be facing a variety of opponents. You have about 5 FAPs at war PL there and I'd probably restructure your choices (with a similar sized fleet in terms of points and money) as follows:

1 x Bin'Tak
2 x G'Quan
3 x Var'Nic
2 x T'Loth
1 x G'Sten
3 x Dag'Kar
4 x Thentus
4 x Ka'Toc
1 x Sho'Kar
4 x Sho'Kos

This gives you plenty of options at 5 FAPs of battle and at raid (the two most common game sizes) and allows you to take a single big fleet if you wish at exactly 5 FAPs at war PL.

Thanks triggy,

Right now I am trying to tune my selection with how fleet scale models are sold on the IWM site. Is there another place where I can buy a diverse set of the smaller vessels?

eBay is your best bet if you're "window shopping" although this forum is also excellent for the odd deal. If you post that you're looking to buy [Narn] miniatures then you will very likely have a few people making you offers or pointing you in the right direction.

I think that I will buy the core ships from IWM and the variation ships from other sources. So far this is my earth core fleet:

1x Warlock Advanced Destroyer
4x Omega Destroyer
2x Apollo Bombardment Cruiser
4x Cronos Attack Frigate

I know that this a lot of Omega's but I plan to use those (and some white stars) to simulate small civil war battles. Is this a good idea, or should I replace 2 of them with Nova's?
And what would be the additional variation ships for this core fleet?

Well, without Hyperions and the like you are limited to only Crusade era for EarthForce. Other than that I'd see about getting at least one Raid level ship.

Correct. Novas are Raid level for pre-Crusade era. In Crusade you will need a Hyperion, Tantalus, or Delphi to fill that slot.

LastBest said:
I think that I will buy the core ships from IWM and the variation ships from other sources. So far this is my earth core fleet:

1x Warlock Advanced Destroyer
4x Omega Destroyer
2x Apollo Bombardment Cruiser
4x Cronos Attack Frigate

I know that this a lot of Omega's but I plan to use those (and some white stars) to simulate small civil war battles. Is this a good idea, or should I replace 2 of them with Nova's?
And what would be the additional variation ships for this core fleet?
I think this list would give you a good Crusade fleet's foundation. You only need to add a Delphi scout, probably four Hyperions to give you flexibility at raid and skirmish PLs and four Myrmidons or Hermes to give you some patrol PL ships.

Suggestion

IF you want to get the ActA/B5 wars size minis, I'd look at getting the larger capital ships and then buy the FleetAction (FA) sizes for the smaller support ships. That, or of course just go all FA scale-you can easily get bulk built up quickly and save alot of cash compared to ActA scale.

I learned that lesson a little too late.
(I still like my minis though thx to Hiff, Trig and others) :D

Well I have the second edition box, so I need to buy Powers & Principalities for the info on the crusade time ships (Cronus, Delphi)?

ps. Is the Ship Builder's Manual a good investment?

Back