miniatures

A

Anonymous

I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not the miniatures came prepainted or not. It seems that there has been a recent trend for prepainted (rather, precolored would probably be more accurate) minis, but I have not been interested in any of those... these I probably would be.

munari said:
I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not the miniatures came prepainted or not. It seems that there has been a recent trend for prepainted (rather, precolored would probably be more accurate) minis, but I have not been interested in any of those... these I probably would be.

None of the ones I have seen have been pre-painted.

By the look of things, they aren't painted as you can click a link to each individual figure in the blister pack, and get to an image of an unpainted model. I could be wrong. It has happened now and then.
I also would buy them if there was a prepainted or resin cast version, because I'm not interested in painting miniatures, personally, although I fuly appreciate it is a skillful and rewarding hobby that allows you to personalise your miniatures.

Seeing as they're still not in distribution, I relented and ordered some directly from Mongoose, so I can confirm they're not painted (I'd expect them to cost a lot more if they were).

They're really, really, *really* nicely done. My only complaint is that there's not a few dozen more Kai Lords to buy so I can set up a nice big battlefield scene :)

Eventually I'll just have to buy a couple dozen more and come up with lots of individual conversions...

Yeah...I appreciate the economics...I just don't go in for painting...

Well before I was not into painting minis, but since I started, I realized how it can become a wonderful part of the gaming hobby. Give it a try and you'll see how zen it can be. Really relaxing and rewarding activity.

I was able to pick up the Kai Lords, Giaks and Character Pack 1 at the Open Day. They are very nice and very unpainted. :wink:

The level of detail is excellent the Kai in particular are superb but the other minis are very well sculpted and apart from the odd heroic weapon are very nicely proportioned. There is very little flash or mould lines though some of the base tabs are a little thin this is easily sorted by pinching the tab with some pliers and bending it. I really liked the faces which have good deep detail that helps when shading to bring the faces to life.

All in all very nice the pictures don't do them justice and I can't wait for them to hit the retailers so I can get some more.

I also saw some of the Drakkarim models and the Gourgaz as well, nice!

WOOOOOO!!! You are sooo crazy to say this kind of things here!!! :shock:

These people are able to make your life a real hell!!!

Or, a least, to make you appreciate the minis (yes redlaco, that is for you!). :wink:

Joe has a massive miniature collection for Maganamund I'm sure he said his Darklord army was over 3000 25mm figures although I can still hardly believe it and keep thinking that I remembered the numbers wrong. It includes two full Giak divisions plus loads of Drakkarim and other stuff. Pictures of some of these are in the Magnamund Companion. He also worked on the first version of Warhammer way back when and is an avid wargamer. This he said is why there are so many battles in the book and he was particularly proud of the battle of Cetza in Dungeons of Torgar.

He also said he would love to see a Magnamund Battle Game and that although his collection is in 25mm scale 15mm would in many ways be perfect for this. I don't know if this was because Mongoose already produce 15mm minis. A very interesting guy!

I attended one of his battle days way back when and I saw some of his figures. He does indeed have a huge collection.

I will see if I can find the photos and get them scanned and on the web.

Greg Smith said:
I attended one of his battle days way back when and I saw some of his figures. He does indeed have a huge collection.

That would be nice! I recently read the newsletters on the PA site, and I was quite surprised (and envious) when I learned of those battle days. That must have been a kid's dream come true! Playing miniature wargames on your favourite game books, at the author's own house and with his very own collection! :shock:

Greg Smith said:

Hey Greg, I just found your name in one of the Newsletters over at Project Aon:

http://www.projectaon.org/~simon/Newsletter_S87.pdf

Check out the Kai Connection on page 8!

So did you ever get to contact David Lewis? :wink:

No I didn't. I did breifly meet him aqain at Games Day (before it was the GW extravaganza it is now) and I met Joe Dever again there and was dead chuffed because he recognised me. :)

My battle day pictures are now up here: http://thunderchild.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=LoneWolf

Matt Sprange has a couple of entries in the newsletters if you are interested. :lol:

I remember the Mat ones now that you mention them.

Wow, nice pictures!

What miniatures did Joe use anyways? I know Citadel made some LW, but the range was rather limited.

I haven't a clue. There are a few of the GW ones in there, Banedon and some Giaks (pic 16 bottom left). I can't remember the name of the rules he used either.

What I do remember is that I was playing the good guys and David, my opponent was the bad guys. We were searching for a lorestone somewhere on the battlefield.

The lorestone turned out to be in the church. His wizard summoned undead from the church yard but after a brutal fight in and around the church (pics 1,5,13,17), a handful of my men escaped with the lorestone.

There was also a tremendous clash in the centre of the table between my knights and his (pics 2,16).

I don't recall if Banedon was actually involved, or exactly what armies we were using. I think the badguys must have been Darklords because of the Giaks and what I assume to be Drakarim knights (pic 14).

Thanks Greg,

They are superb. I hope that in time Mongoose are able to release a Lone Wolf miniature battle system but in the meantime I will modify GW Lord of the Rings rules for Magnamund.

Some of the minis that represent Drakkarim(?) look like Citadel Chaos Warriors.

Thanks again they are cool pictures.

mthomason said:
Seeing as they're still not in distribution, I relented and ordered some directly from Mongoose, so I can confirm they're not painted (I'd expect them to cost a lot more if they were).

Any more news on whether the minis are in distribution yet. One of the character packs was unavailable at the open day and I'm wanting to pick up at least a couple more packs of Giaks and another Kai Lord pack as well. I plan on converting the Kai with the big hammer into a Kai with the war banner of the Kai!

Back