Milleu 0 maps?

koraq

Mongoose
Hi

I've been curious about the M0 setting for T4, using a more coherent rules set, *ahem*.

Have anyone seen any maps online of how the Third Imperium looks like after, say, the death of Cleon I, or some other date in the early imperium?

Such maps could be built loosely from the data in the Milieu Zero Campaign, but I don't know that anyone has.

Working on that actually. Or I should say eventually. I am working making maps for various historical points in the OTU. I was working on this but travellermap was coming out with T5 data and changed the metadata portion of their map POST function. Now that the T5 data is out on travellermap, I am taking the UWPs and applying historical commentary to develop maps. It is at an early stage right now as I am starting at the beginning with the Vilani pre-jump. The UWP's are all pretty much Xnnn000-0 except for minor race homeworlds. GURPS Interstellar Wars describes historical Vilani colony selection in detail along with nice rules to generate UWPs. DGP Vilani give the history and implies rate of expansion.

So my project phases are
1.Vilani (and eventually Ziru Sirka) maps century by century until maximum expansion in -3500
2.Interstellar Wars Maps - Maps at begin Terran First Contact and end points until 2256 AD (have to convert to IY). This was done, but I have to revise the metadata files now that that has changed on travellermap
3.Rule of Man maps from 2256 AD at least to the beginning of the Long Night in IY -1776
4.Sylean Federation Maps from -650 to 3rd Imperium renewed contact with the Solomani

The metadata format shouldn't have changed - let me know if I can help out.

I'd love to have travellermap.com support every era eventually.

Yeah, it would be great if travellermap.com had maps for all eras!

I have read the M0 book and am kind of confused, as one often is when reading T4 books. I think I read somewhere that by the end of the expansion phase they had once again contacted the whole of Core sector. But, when is that? The referee map has notes for some worlds as part of the Federation of Sylea, but I'm after the state of things when it has become the Third Imperium and Cleon I dies. I thought that would mean a small but established Imperium, interesting for exploration, but still with a clear border.

Now I'm toying with just using the backstory and the movers and shakers, and generate all the worlds myself instead. But, it feels like the data should be out there, in some book or site.

Milieu Zero Campaign says Core is completely contacted by Year 40 and completely Imperial by Year 140.

GypsyComet,

It does? Excellent. Thank you. I would love some maps as well, but that was useful info in any case.

Thanks again.

koraq said:
using a more coherent rules set, *ahem*.

Aside from the odd probability bumps in the T4 task system, the core T4 book is fine. The rest of the line wasn't so lucky.

koraq said:
It does? Excellent. Thank you. I would love some maps as well, but that was useful info in any case.

You can derive a snapshot from the sector listings in Milieu Zero Campaign, though I'm not sure what year that snapshot is from. The number of worlds given full data (to PCs) in Core is less than 10%, when the settlement progress chart says the sector was 30% integrated (ie, part of the Sylean Fed and Third Imperium) as of Year Zero.

InexorableTash said:
The metadata format shouldn't have changed - let me know if I can help out.

I'd love to have travellermap.com support every era eventually.

I will analyze my data files again bother you if I am certain of my findings. I created UWP files for Kashuggi (Solomani Rim) Sector as of 2170 AD (and other years) and stored as a .txt and the msec data as .xml files back March. Worked back then. In prepping for the Vilani project (and T5 data), I was testing the same two files to see if my files need modification The worlds appeard, but msec related data did not appear. No error message, but no msec related data either.

In analyzing the First Survey data in relation to the Milieu Zero Campaign, the data is wonky. There are several worlds with TL13-14, worlds with Populations of B (Hundreds of Billions) are the most extreme cases.

So my approach for my map project using First Survey data is along these lines:
Use T5 physical data (size, atmo, hyd, habitable zones and stars). These do not change much. The MT book Hard Times shows examples of what happens when you "nuke them from orbit" with the Black War effects. The Vilani generally do not annihilate, as is shown by the lengths taken to make the Dishaan members of the Ziru Sirka. Also, IMTU the Vilani do not terraform. GURPS IW implies that they simply pass over unsuitable worlds. Unless there is another race or species.

Use the world names and remarks from First Survey Data. Names change over 11 thousand years, so using Vilani names when different from 1105 data is fine. The comments also give clues to other races (Chirpers and others), AAB institutions, abandoned Vilani and ROM naval bases and so on. The clues show what worlds were important on or prior to Year 0.

Nathan Brazil said:
Also, IMTU the Vilani do not terraform. GURPS IW implies that they simply pass over unsuitable worlds. Unless there is another race or species.

That other race would be the Suerrat. Conquered early in the Consolidation Wars, they lent their extensive life support engineering skills and experience (they expanded for 1400 years by generation ships) to the Ziru Sirka, allowing it to occupy and exploit worlds the Vilani would not have touched.

From a terraforming perspective, the Suerrat are not a factor. The big TL 11 limit is the determining factor. In MgT, terraforming is mentioned until TL 12. So from the perspective of the UWP for atmosphere and hydrographics, I do not see the Suerrat skills in early colonization doing anything to change that. Their sublight colonization lends itself to more efficient equipment, but not terraforming. I more easily envision the Suerrat contribution would be more in the lines of biological rather megascale engineering. Also what extra knowledge or tech they had was absorbed by the Vilani to give the Ziru Sirka their almost uniform TL 11 by the time of the Interstellar Wars.

No, they weren't terraforming, but they could design, install, and maintain hazardous environment colonies that were capable of long term survival. That was a talent and experience the Vilani lacked, and would certainly have allowed them to exploit worlds they would not have otherwise.

My apologies GypsyComet. I misunderstood your post. The Suerrat will be factor, once the Vilani expand to meet them. So will the Geonee, the Vegans and others that I am not aware of at the moment. In turn, each will get clubbed into submisson with appropriate military outposts to keep them in line. Then their specialties will become a factor in Vilani expansion. With around 120+ races floating around in the T5 data, there will be plenty to work with.

Nathan Brazil said:
My apologies GypsyComet. I misunderstood your post. The Suerrat will be factor, once the Vilani expand to meet them. So will the Geonee, the Vegans and others that I am not aware of at the moment. In turn, each will get clubbed into submisson with appropriate military outposts to keep them in line. Then their specialties will become a factor in Vilani expansion. With around 120+ races floating around in the T5 data, there will be plenty to work with.

The Geonee, Suerrat and Vilani all entered space within the same century span (c -9500). They are the oldest spacefaring races still around. The Vilani developed Jump Drive from scratch, the Geonee had an Ancients J-Drive to work from, and Suerrat expanded by STL generation ships. The Geonee and Vilani managed to find each other within a few centuries, but it took almost 1400 years to find the Suerrat, around -8100, and sell them jump drive. The three coexisted, shakily, until the Vilani developed J2 and started the Consolidation Wars in -5400. Those lasted another 1300 years (fairly late in which the Vilani took down the Vegans), at the end of which the Vilani declared Empire. Not quite 2000 years after that came the Terrans, and so on.

None of the three oldest ever completely fell out of space during the Long Night, so by Milieu Zero you are dealing with three cultures that have been spacefaring for nearly ten thousand years, and have been dealing with each other for most of that.

Back