Manufacturer's of 1/600 scale Observation/Spotter Aircraft?

Hello,

I found Tumbling Dice's http://tumblingdiceuk.com/ line of superb 1/600 aircraft. But I have been unable to find a good source or 1/600th aircraft miniatures that I can use for Observation/Recon/Spotter planes. I am primarily interested in British, but could use a source for all nationalities. If no one makes miniatures for these, could someone a little more knowledgeable than myself on WWII aircraft, be able to suggest some aircraft miniatures I could use as acceptable stand-ins or maybe with a little modification.

Maybe I'll just use suitably old bi-plane models as stand-ins. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Captain Mysto Out!

Captain Mysto said:
I found Tumbling Dice's http://tumblingdiceuk.com/ line of superb 1/600 aircraft. But I have been unable to find a good source or 1/600th aircraft miniatures that I can use for Observation/Recon/Spotter planes. I am primarily interested in British, but could use a source for all nationalities.
ISA49 Walrus for the Brits
ISA245 Kingfisher for the Yanks
ISA429 Rufe for the Japanese
The correct German aircraft isn't represented in this range.
EDIT: it looked like this: http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/manatee/272/arado-196.html
http://www.luftwaffepics.com/lar1961.htm

I'm not familiar enough with the other nationalities.

Wulf

Thanks a lot! This really helps. If anyone else has useful information or can fill in any holes, that would be great! Also, model suggestions don't need to be from this range. Other manufacturer's will work for me as well.

Still need ideas for:

German
French
Italian
Russian

Thanks for the help!

DM said:
Yes it was (and a damned fine aircraft it was too!)
It did look like a biplane that had mislaid the top wing though...

I'm always wary of telling people the RN used the Walrus as a spotter - it's a damn big spotter! I assume as no-one corrected me that I am right, yes? I mean, I know it was used on SOME ships, but was it the standard? I don't know any others...

Wulf

Even if it wasn't standard, unless someone has a better idea, it's okay with me. I'm still pretty new to this so. I am mostly just looking for a miniature that is representative of Observasion craft, typical to each nation. The reality I'm sure is that many different craft were used by each nation.

So now I just need to confirm the Ar196 in miniature for the Germans and I still need model suggestions for:

French
Italian
Russian

Thanks for the help so far!

There were three types, the Fairey Sea Fox (IIRC used at the Battle of the River Plate), Fairey Swordfish (IRC Warspite used one at Narvik) and the Walrus (or "Shagbat" as it was affectionately known). Its not actually tht big (I'd suggest a trip to the excellent Fleet Air Arm Museun at Yeovilton where they have one) to get an impression of its size compared with a Swordfish. I think the earlier types were phased out in favour of the Walrus, but then they all tended to die out later when shipborne observation aircraft became superfluous (not to mention the risk they posed to the carrying ship)

I seem to recall readind somewhere that at least early on some british battleships carried all three types at the same time.

BTW didn't Warspites Swordfish sink a U Boat at Narvik?

I'll have to check, I think some plastic model makers may make 1/600 planes.

I'll look it up later today.

Lee

Just a quick add-on here; for the Japanese, you want the F1M2 Pete from Tumbling Dice; the Rufe was a dedicated fighter, not a spotter.

For the Brits, Tumbling Dice should also have the Sea Fox available in the next couple of weeks; it's due in their next set of moulds.

For the French you could at a pinch use the Walrus; I'm not certain if they were used shipboard, but the French navy certainly bought a number of them.

Dom.

Oh, and the Italians have the RO-43 available:

https://sslrelay.com/www.domsdecals.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=1545b3bb71c069d/shopdata/0020_Tumbling+Dice+1=26amp=3Bslash=3B600+Planes/0040_WWII+Individual+Aircraft+Packs/0030_WWII+Italian+Aircraft+Packs/product_details.shopscript?article=0070_Meridionali%2BRO43%2B%3D28ISA%2B464%3D29

That only leaves the Russians, I think.

Dom.

Wow,
Thanks for all the help so far guys. I appreciate it a lot. So far to sum up then we have:

Tumbling Dice:
British: ISA49 - Walrus or ISA29a - Sea Fox
US: ISA245 - Kingfisher
Japanese: ISA427 - F1M2 Pete
French: ISA49 - Walrus
Italian: ISA464 - Meridionali RO43

Stronghold:
German: AGP2 - Ar195

Still looking for Russians and any other suggestions or add-ons to the existing list. Any other manufactures are okay as well.

Thanks again for all the help!

I think the French standard ship-borne sea plane was the Loire 130. Not sure who (if anyone) makes a model.

Thanks DM; ugly looking thing, isn't it...? As for models, nope, I've never seen one of those in 1/600. That said, if anyone knows where plans of it might be found (other than the £34.95 book that I can't afford....) please drop me a line....

Dom.

Got my Tumbing Dice`ers this afternoon, painted up 5 or them so far and must say I`m really pleased with the quality.

I never had heard of them before this threat, so thanks to the starter for letting their name fall.

And in waiting for rules for the RA, they`ll all be on spotter duty the coming period hehehe, also, put a fighter of `that other mongoose game` next to them to give a better impression of the size of the planes for those intrested in ordering them.

P1010375.jpg

P1010376.jpg

Back