Making sure I understand Conan RPG magic

slaughterj

Mongoose
Let's say I have a priest of Hanuman who wants to cast a Curse of Lesser Ill-Fortune against a PC. How does it work?:

1. Does the priest have to first make a Magic Attack Roll against the PC's Will Save which sets the DC, then if successful, the PC gets to roll a Will Save to negate the effects?, or
2. Does the PC simply roll a will save, which sets the DC, and if the priest's Magic Attack Roll meets or exceeds this, then the spell is effective?, or
3. Does the priest simply make a Magic Attack Roll which sets the DC against which the PC attempts to make a save?

#1 requires the priest to hit over a DC, then gives the PC a save, while #2 requires the priest simply to hit equal or over the PC's save DC, while #3 requires the PC to roll a save equal to or exceeding the priest's MAR

Effectively #1 would require 1 priest roll and 2 PC rolls. #2 would require 1 priest roll and 1 PC roll, tie going to the priest. #3 would require 1 priest roll and 1 PC roll, tie going to the PC.

If it is #1, I think I'm going to set the priest's DC to always be DC 10+ the PC's Will Save bonus, making the hit roll fairly static.

The Magic Attack Roll is simply used to set the Save DC.

#3 is the correct usage.

Or is this really a question about the use of Evil Eye in disguise?

BhilJhoanz said:

#3 is the correct usage.

Exactly. In other words, this is an opposed roll -- the Sorcerer's Magic Attack Roll vs. the Target's Will Save.

Yuan-Ti said:
BhilJhoanz said:

#3 is the correct usage.

Exactly. In other words, this is an opposed roll -- the Sorcerer's Magic Attack Roll vs. the Target's Will Save.

Gotcha, thought it was, but wanted to make sure there wasn't first a hit roll, then a save.

Seems like it is hard for a low-level mage to get a successful effect, especially against another low-level character with Iron Will and/or a Code of Honor, but Conan sure fell for a lot of illusions in Shadows in Zamboula...

Sorcerers can take feats which add +2 to their MAR, and they add their Charisma mod to it. So, a 2nd level sorceror could easily have a +5-8, depending on his charisma.

But yeah, a bad roll and he could be in trouble!

Back