Making my Omega Spin

l33tpenguin

Mongoose
So, I want to make my omegas spin, because that will be super cool. However, I'm far from home and having my wife buy me some supplies to send, along with a third age fleet box, to give me something to do while I'm deployed.
I planned to take a lenght of brass tubing and fit it inside the rotating section of the omega. then take a thinner piece of brass tubing, small enough to fit through the other tube. I want to drill a hole in the front and rear sections of the omega, glue one end of the small tube in, fit the rotating section onto it, then glue the other end.
A- maybe would this work?
B- what size brass tubing should I use? for both pieces

The brass tubing route works, thats what my brother used when he assembled my command Omega, but I don't know what size of tubing.

I took a brass rod about 2mm thick and drilled into the fore and aft sections to join them together and then glued the middle rotating section around the rod without fixing onto it so that it could spin freely. I didn't use a second piece of tubing though - I'm not sure that it really needs it.

Burger has posted a method of doing it to...

http://www.ibisfightclub.co.uk/Projects/Omega.html

I thought 2 brass rods would make it spin a bit smoother. The moulding on he rotating section wasn't brilliant, so I put the outer rod to even it out.

Burger said:
I thought 2 brass rods would make it spin a bit smoother. The moulding on he rotating section wasn't brilliant, so I put the outer rod to even it out.

Thats what I'm thinking as well. I figure it would give it a smoother spin. I might slick it up with a little axil grease too :p

Having my wife download and send me the pics... stupid proxy is blocking all the images :(

it may make it smoother, but if you're not careful cutting for the larger rod, it may come out a little crooked. That's what happened with my Poseidon.

Chern

sorry, that's not what I meant. I meant if you try to expand the holes in the rotating section for a larger diameter rod, they might come out a tad off center, and then the spin will be "canted" one direction. Just a warning, learn from my mistakes! :lol:

Chern

Ah. I understand. I'm thinking about just filling it up with greenstuff and putting it on my drillpress.. at least that would give me a perfectly straight centerline

But surely you have that same issue, even if not using a rod? If the holes aren't centred then it will wobble...

I have converted over 200 of the omegas, posidens and commad omegas. I have used the single piece and the 2 piece axle method they both work just fine. The sizes I have used are as folows....

3/32 rod
1/8 tube

These work just fine.

Jeff

Hey, Vladimir, when I read you did conversions, I went and checked out your website, your rather large avatar gave me the clue that it was a buisness of sorts, and saw your front page. If anyone happens to donate some B5 minis for your 'games for troops' let me know! I'd be glad to supply my deployed address for you :D

I did the same thing as outlined on Burger's page, but I just used a nail of a suitable size and cut off the head and trimmed to length. Also used a round needle file to clean up the hole in the rotating section. Just make sure your holes on the drivestack and fore section are marked in the centre and you're all good!

Back