Main Factbook Discovery

Mage Ash

Mongoose
I was going through the main factbook again, cause I didn't want to miss something. Anyway, when I looked in the stat block of Ivanova I couldn't help but notice that one of the feats she is given is listed as [[[Classified]]]. I couldn't help but smile for this was such a great way to this and still stick with the rules nad the character. Now we all know that the feat should be Latent Telepath but we don't actually learn that till late Second Season. I think this was a brilliant way of dooing this, so Mongoose great job.

Just had to say this cause I don't think it should be ignored.

Just went and looked at this, check the Ivanova stats on Page 5 of Coming of Shadows. The [classified] feat is revealed for what we know it to be.

You're right Mage Ash, it was a nice touch on the part of the writers.

LBH

Speaking of stats in the main rulebook, has anyone else noticed that Garibaldi is cheating?

His number of melee attacks has been calculated from his total melee attack bonus (including strength) when it should just use his BAB.

*EDIT*
i.e. he is level 8, but has 3 attacks per round.

Perturbatio said:
Speaking of stats in the main rulebook, has anyone else noticed that Garibaldi is cheating?

His number of melee attacks has been calculated from his total melee attack bonus (including strength) when it should just use his BAB.

*EDIT*
i.e. he is level 8, but has 3 attacks per round.

Good spot there.

If I'm doing my sums right his BAB should be +8/+1
(2nd level Officer + 6th Level Soldier)
so +11/+4 (Melee) +10/+6 (Ranged)
(Someone may want to check that!)

Also his listed feats say 'Rapid Aim', I assume this means Rapid Shot?

LBH

Just read up on Rapid Shot. It gives an extra ranged attack at your max BAB but the extra attack and all subsequent attacks suffer a -2 penalty. This still doesn't explain the error in Garibaldi's stats!

Having said all that, would you like to be the one to argue the point with him?!

Season 2 Episode 13 'Hunter, Prey'

Garibaldi : "Hey Max, give me the data crystal."

Max : "I don't know what you're talking about"

Garibaldi : "Look . . ."
(draws and powers PPG in left hand)
" . . . I don't have time for this. It's because I've had a really bad day." (Shoots wall just to left of Max's left hip)
"And I'm in a really bad mood."
(Shoots wall just to right of Max's right elbow)
"In fact (grinning) I'm damn cranky.(laughs)"
(Shoots wall just to left of Max's upper left arm)
"So why don't you give me the fraggin' data crystal before I start to get surly . . ."
(Shoots wall right next to Max's (right shoulder)
"Which is somethig you really, . . ."
(Shoots just left of Max's head)
" really . . ."
(Shoots just right of Max's head)
(Moves PPG into a 2 handed grip aiming at Max)
" . . really don't want."
(Max reaches into his pocket, Garibaldi shifts aim to Max's head as Max slowly takes out a data crystal and offers it to Garibaldi)

:D

LBH

EDIT (of my post quoted below): You're right perturbatio. +8/+3, I've just read p.55 of my 3.0 PHB (which isn't included in the bits we should use listed on P.6 of B5 S&P but I should have known it. my nly defence is I've never multiclassed before.

Anway, it should be +8/+3 as you say, still doesn't explain his extra melle attack or the missing extra ranged attack he should have from Rapid Aim/Shot.

lastbesthope said:
Perturbatio said:
I could be wrong here, but I think his BAB should be +8/+3 (each extra attack should be 5 points below it's parent)

Interesting, I didn't know that but I still think my numbers are right. If I understand multiclassing correctly you add the BABs from both your classes so Garibaldi gets to add:

+2 from 2nd Level Officer (Fleet)

+6/+1 from 6th Level Soldier

Giving a BAB pf +8/+1 which is not quite as good as the +8/+3 an 8th level officer or soldier wouuld have if theyhadn't multiclassed, but his saving throws would be better.

So, am I right?

LBH

Look in the main book and see how many hit points Bester has. Too many. He should have at most 8 for first level + 8 for telepath levels + 18 for 6 psi cop levels. He's not high enough level to have all the abilities, so it's not from bonus points. Any suggestions. Or is it, he gets bonus points for being such a smug bastard.

Barbara said:
Look in the main book and see how many hit points Bester has. Too many. He should have at most 8 for first level + 8 for telepath levels + 18 for 6 psi cop levels. He's not high enough level to have all the abilities, so it's not from bonus points. Any suggestions. Or is it, he gets bonus points for being such a smug bastard.

No he gets 1d6 + 4 (max 10) at 1st level, 8 more for his Teep levels and 18 for his Psi-Cop levels. Still only 36 but 2 more than you had him pegged for.

However his DV and Saves seem off, his saves should be +6 +6 +9 from his levels, I don't know how they get as high as they are.

Calling all rulemasters! Or msprange who wrote the main book!

Can we have a ruling, is this stuff swept up in the second edition?

LBH

OK here we go, definitive answer to whatit should be:

Alfred Bester 6th Level Human Psi cop/9th level Telepath (P12).

Hit Points (as per Character description on P. 193) = 40

1st Level of telepath 1d6 + 2 HP (as per P.40 for P9-12 characters) = 8
Levels 2-9 of telepath, 1 HP per level (as per p.39)= 8HP additional
6 levels of Psi Cop at 3 HP per level = 18 (as per P.280)

Total HP = 34

I still don't see where the extra 6 come from!

LBH

Don't look this far, after all, we're talking about Al Bester, the best there ever was. So he's better than he should be because he's an "historical" figure and when you read the Psi-Corp trilogy, you just realize how strong and clever he really is. The PC is better to come up with really clever plans to escape him, because few if any ever escapes Bester (or Garibaldi for that matter; just ask Al Bester)...

By the way, this situation have happened in many other RPG settings based on a popular franchise. The tentation for the designers is to make the main characters (movers & shakers like our own Bester & Garibaldi) stronger than other characters of the same level. It helps the GM to keep them alive longer if push comes to shoves. You have to keep in mind that they're NPC's anyway, so the GM can use them as storytelling devices as much as he want. In fact, their stats are almost unnecessary as far as I'm concerned. If, for instance, Bester is on the case of a telepath PC who infringed on PsiCorps rules, well you can be sure that Bester will have the last word and will manage to give the PC a good mental spanking.

I know I'm rambling already, but I'll use Sheridan, Delenn, G'Kar, Londo, etc. just like I used Ben Kenobi in my Star Wars game : he came to the PC's rescue in Tatooine just like he rescued Luke, then he vanished back into the background. The players were awed when they realized who was it that save their hides, and that's a big selling point of established settings like these.

Still, I've been known to fudge my dice roll to make up a better story. Hell, sometimes I just fake rolling and I already decided the outcome! So I'm not what you can call a "number-crushing-get-your-facts-straight" kind of Game Master. But it works as long as it makes for a great story.

Uh oh! This is not good. So I've got 2mths ( we're at Jan '59) to learn to hide my character from telepaths or get her off of the station before he turns up. (Except that she doesn't know that. Oh well, blind panic is always an option)

How much for a ticket out of here?

Slight problem with joining Psi Corp. Due to her "upbringing" on Beta Durani, has REALLY low opinion of humans and tries to avoid dealing with them. Living with them is out(at least currently). The fact that when she got to pick a room ro rent for the group. she picked one completely surrounded by non humans, give you an idea. The only humans she sort of trusts right now are Security people and Dr Franklin.

Yes I know, she's got problems, when she starts officially getting Psi X levels, it's gonna get even weirder.

Got 370 in the party treasury. Unfortunately, she doesn't know that the Narn technomage has just got a ship.
If this is the amount of trouble she's in after being an active telepath for 2 mths, imagine what trouble she can be in, after a year.( assuming she doesn't get caught by Psi Corp or the corporation thats after her)

Back