Magicians of Dessi rock

Don't be forgetting that a high level Dessi will have an 18-20/x3 crit value on their staff. That can result in some rather nasty damage, with 5 WP expended on an attack (and August has confirmed that all damage dice are meant to be multiplied on a crit).

This crit extends to ranged attacks as well correct?

Also, if a dessi uses two weapon fighting, he can inflict another 1d6 +2 + STR modifier; though he takes a -4 penalty to attacks.

Xex said:
"Anyway, power doesn't just lie in figures. A Dessi can be more versatile than a Brotherhood mage, though it requires a good GM because many of his powers (like Elementalism) are pretty tough to handle if you are not experienced with broad powers, IMHO. "

Thas an excellent point. Magi of dessi are an excellent class, but to really enjoy playing one as a player, you require a flexible and creative gm.

I am rather looking forward to GMing a Magi of Dessi I had hoped one of the players in my current game would take one, but no one did. On the of chance that they did and in hopes that they would take elementalism I painted up some elementals for visual effect.

I think that Elementalism is potentialy the most awsome power in the whole game it just depends on how the GM wants to run it. Most of the time I would try to come up with effective but unexpected effects for this power but every now and then throw in something useless or even dangerous to the party. Just to keep the Magi on his toes and to reinforce the alien nature of the Elementals. For this there is a great deal of inspiration in the Grey Star books.

Very true.
A few uses of Elementalism in the books that immediately come to my mind are
1. Grey Star summoning a Water Elemental to call a giant wave to tear down a fortified bridge.
2. Grey Star summoning air elementals to quench a full-blown storm.
3. Grey Star summoning air elementals to speed up his saling trip(I don't need no stinkin' oarsmen).

Besides, early Lone Wolf(Kai series) seems a whole LOT less powerful than early Grey Star(book 1-3).
For example Lone Wolf is practically dead meat if you opt to attack the two Durenese Knights in book 2(even with a really high combat skill).
Grey Star often wades into big scale battles with dozens of participants and procedes to incinerate multitudes of bad-guys with his staff(if he doesn't just use enchantment to get the enemies to fight each other).

FallenAngel said:
Besides, early Lone Wolf(Kai series) seems a whole LOT less powerful than early Grey Star(book 1-3).

This is probably why in the RPG a Magician needs to get to level 13 to get his fifth Elder Art (while Lone Wolf in #2 is a 6th level Kai)...

Bah, what are 7 levels of difference anyway ; )

Dessi Mages still kick major ass, even at higher levels their power doesn't have to hide behind the other classes.
A high level Dessi with his magical +9(that's equal to mastercrafted full-plate for gods sake! It starts to get really sick when he decides to additonally wear a real mastercrafted full-plate on top of his magical protection = 28AC) AC bonus and equipped with his magical boomstick, which grants him a combat skill equal to a Sommerlund Knight...besides a 18-20 critical threat range and triple damage criticals, is a total melee monster.
With his attacks easily able to get to +25/+20/+15/+10 and every hit dealing 6d6+5 he can mow down pretty much everything in a few rounds and with additionally battering his enemy with Psychic Combat(and if he gets a critical you can already order a coffin, because that's 18d6+5 coming right at you and the resulting average of 68 points of damage means you'll have to make a fortitude check against a 33DC to avoid instant death).
While it probably isn't too much in character for a Dessi to run up to a horde of enemies and start beating them to a pulp with his staff(not to mention wearing full-plate armor while doing it...), it certainly is very effective(and Grey Star did it all the time, ok without the full-plate armor ; )

Bah, what are 7 levels of difference anyway ; )

Dessi Mages still kick major ass, even at higher levels their power doesn't have to hide behind the other classes.
A high level Dessi with his magical +9(that's equal to mastercrafted full-plate for gods sake! It starts to get really sick when he decides to additonally wear a real mastercrafted full-plate on top of his magical protection = 28AC) AC bonus and equipped with his magical boomstick, which grants him a combat skill equal to a Sommerlund Knight...besides a 18-20 critical threat range and triple damage criticals, is a total melee monster.
With his attacks easily able to get to +25/+20/+15/+10 and every hit dealing 6d6+5 he can mow down pretty much everything in a few rounds and with additionally battering his enemy with Psychic Combat(and if he gets a critical you can already order a coffin, because that's 18d6+5 coming right at you and the resulting average of 68 points of damage means you'll have to make a fortitude check against a 33DC to avoid instant death).
While it probably isn't too much in character for a Dessi to run up to a horde of enemies and start beating them to a pulp with his staff(not to mention wearing full-plate armor while doing it...), it certainly is very effective(and Grey Star did it all the time, ok without the full-plate armor ; )

Back