Magic Spear

topple

Mongoose
In book 2, you seriously need to obtain the magic spear in order to successfully finish the quest? I chose to avoid the call for help by the szalls in the book and found out once I was in the tunnels...many many sections later...that there would be unavoidable helghasts to fight...argh! Quite an unforgiving adventure.

Greg is right, if I may add though you ONLY get the option of using Animal Kinship AFTER you have given the Spear to Rhygar - so either way you MUST always pick up the Spear (and it's probably me getting too involved but I can never leave Rhygar unable to defend himself, even though he dies anyway).

SnowShadow said:
(and it's probably me getting too involved but I can never leave Rhygar unable to defend himself, even though he dies anyway).

No, not just you, I'm exactly the same.

There's no way Lone Wolf would keep hold of a magic weapon when his comrade was covering his escape.

I give it to him every time and hope he at least took a couple of the sods with him before he died!

Random Code said:
There's no way Lone Wolf would keep hold of a magic weapon when his comrade was covering his escape.

My Lone Wolf is a 'needs of the many outweigh those of the few, or the one' kind of guy - so he keeps the spear so that he can protect himself from the Helghasts and get the Sommerswerd and save his homeland.

Greg Smith said:
Random Code said:

My Lone Wolf is a 'needs of the many outweigh those of the few, or the one' kind of guy - so he keeps the spear so that he can protect himself from the Helghasts and get the Sommerswerd and save his homeland.

You are right. Legends of Lone Wolf 'The Secret of Kazan Oud' had that very dilema for Lone Wolf; both he and Petra (Sommlending Warrior) were prepared to die for each other but as the story unfolded Lone Wolf began to realise his initially flippant remarks were not how he actually felt or should feel - on his shoulders lay the entire restoration of the Kai order and no matter how much he cared for one individual he could not stray from the path Kai had set before him, to save a single mortal life. He was not and could not be prepared to risk his life for another.

I would still feel guilty not giving Rhygar the Spear (and I hate that you MUST have Animal Kinship if you do), but your reasoning is absolutely correct Greg. I agree with Beowuuf - making hard choices and living with them is what makes the hero. Congratulations Joe! 26 years later and I still can't choose which way to go...

(Gives Rhygar the Spear!)

Unless you play a very early revision of the books:

You have to get the Magic Spear or you are dead. Full stop.

If you do get the Magic Spear you are able to afford the luxury of giving it away if you have Animal Kinship.

Greg Smith said:
Random Code said:

Ahh, an excellent... excuse for a coward! Pah!! :wink: Just jesting, Greg.

I think Lone Wolf has enough other abilities at that time to fall back on in order to outwit/outrun Helghasts whereas Rhyger was doomed without the spear. I understand where you're coming from but in my opnion without the spear the Helghasts would have overrun Rhyger in an instant and caught up with LW thus sealing his doom. Rhyger was buying LW time and needed the spear to do this.

beowuuf said:
Indeed, I think what makes a hero an epic hero is making the very hard choices and living with them.

Agreed.

SnowShadow said:
Congratulations Joe! 26 years later and I still can't choose which way to go...

Absolutely.

I remember when I first read it, I gave Rhyger the spear, and died later. Then when I replayed it I didn't pull the spear out of the shapeshifted Helghast just so I could avoid not giving Rhyger the spear! And died again! It was really emotive stuff... Now though. Well, I'm not so sure. I accept the limitations of the medium and Joe Dever as a writer of a game book and not a novel but I think the whole Rhyger paragraphs after the decision to give/or not give him the spear could have had a lot more gravitas.

Still, great stuff when you were a teen and still an enjoyable read.

SnowShadow said:
(Gives Rhygar the Spear!)

Make that two!

I always turn over the spear.

I think you get slammed for making similar "practical" decisions in later books, too, and it's a recurring theme in the new Multiplayer Gamebook adventures. I think the Kai have kind of mutated from get-the-job-done types into a more noble order over the years.

Well, in my version of the book, if you had the spear and gave it away you didn't get the opportunity to use Animal Kinship. If you kept it or didn't have it you could use Animal Kinship. Basically you gave away your only defense and was killed for being noble.

For my part, I like the way Project Aon handled the situation.

If you do have the Spear, or you choose to give it take Rhyger, take the path that requires Animal Kinship to survive.

If you keep the Spear, take the path that leads to a Helghast (which you will then defeat because you have the Spear).

Another thing that makes Book 2 so hard is that this isn't the only time something like this can happen. If you lose the Seal and don't reclaim it, your quest will eventually come to a dead end in Port Bax. Also, even if you buy a ticket to the coach to Port Bax (20 crowns), unless you still have a few gold crowns on you once you board it you'll soon find yourself dead. Not to mention the sheer difficulty of the Helghast which guards the Spear, which you might not be in top shape for after your encounter with the assassian. It's a very unforgiving book.

True, but it does make LW seem a bit more "human". I know in latter books he becomes too powerful for these problems, which is itself a problem, but the first few books really feel more grounded as a result.

In a way, it's a shame LW ever became a GM - even a Magnakai - though it does mean he spends more time battling Evil as opposed to the everyday evil that Man does.

On a tangent: based on LW 2, one gets the idea that the Magic Spear is some artefact from the arsenal of the Knights of the White Mountain, and that those guys could have either
a) more of those spears
b) other gadgets for fighting agents of the Darklords
c) both of the above

Is there ever any elaboration on this, like in HoM maybe?

Smiling Fox said:
Well, in my version of the book, if you had the spear and gave it away you didn't get the opportunity to use Animal Kinship.

Yeah, the same as in the german version, I believe it was some kind of translation-mistake. I argued with that situation a lot, since it seems to be so unfair and against a "Knights-etiquette" :wink:

Back