Loss of dex bonus and dodge

Voltumna

Mongoose
If you are denied your dex bonus to DV, does that mean you also loose all your Dodge bonus, class or otherwise?

I don't have access to a book right now.

Well, if a running character looses his dex bonus to dv, and he looses dodge bonus, he would be subject to sneak attacks?

Ranged sneak attacks seem plausible, but what about melee?

loses

Yes, the character would be able to be Sneak Attacked. Anyone may be Sneak Attacked when thier DEX is being denied them. Being denied thier Dodge bonus just makes matters worse.

Remember, that when a character is flat-footed, he can not only loses his Dex bonus but he also can't Dodge at all. The character must use their Base Defense.

If you read the description of sneak attack, you only get sneak attack damage when a character is unable to Dodge at all, not just when he loses his Dex bonus. In general, it seems the Conan combat system doesn't place too much emphasis on your Dex bonus alone. If you are unable to defend yourself, you usually lose your total Dodge bonus and not just Dex.

going back to the running character, he loses dex bonus and therefore dodge bonus to dv. he can't use feats like dodge or archer's bane because they grant a bonus to dodge dv. the bonus granted by the use of a shield is denied as well. he is at 10dv then. so i guess the run feat is the only way to prevent this vulnerability for a running character? i think it is the same situation for a climbing character.

sneak attacks used to have a range of 30ft, but now with eagle eye, you can sneak attack at 60ft, which is still a distance easily covered to get out of the senak attack range, and is at charge range.

has someone taken the run feat? it seems to be on low demand on our gaming group, but on one ocassion we had to run for about two rounds to meet head on a group of archers shooting at us. the terrain didn't grant any cover nor concealment, it was a desert plain. before we got to where the archers were we got hit many times. i am considering taking it. dv 10 is very bad.

>>>Remember, that when a character is flat-footed, he can not only loses his Dex bonus but he also can't Dodge at all. The character must use their Base Defense.

If you read the description of sneak attack, you only get sneak attack damage when a character is unable to Dodge at all, not just when he loses his Dex bonus. In general, it seems the Conan combat system doesn't place too much emphasis on your Dex bonus alone. If you are unable to defend yourself, you usually lose your total Dodge bonus and not just Dex.<<<

Don't forget, Sneak Attack can be used while flanking; the Thief in my campaign uses it well.

Back