Legendary Abilities

Fiddler

Mongoose
Anyone have ideas for new L.A.s. Heres mine.

Hammerhand

Requirements: STR:15 or higher;CON:15 or higher and Martial Arts skill at 60%or higher.

Hero points: 10

With this Legendary Ability the character can use their Martial arts damage to cause greater damage to rigid inanimate objects(like walls and doors) andto cause greater amounts of distance for knockback.

When used agianst a rigid inanimate object M.A. damage is doubled.
When used agianst foes your M.A. damaged is tripled only for the purpose of using the knockback rule agianst your foe.

You may combine Hammerhand with a precise attack to damage weapons and armour. Your hand take no damage from what the character strikes when they use this ability.

Tandem Weapon Use

Requirements: DEX 15, 70% with applicalble 1H weapon.
Hero Points: 10

You have learned thow to coordinate the use of a weapon in each hand or a weapon & shield. As long as you have the miminum skill with the weapons you are currently weield, the following effects take place:

* You can both parry one addtional attack per Combat round AND gain a single Combat attack at -20% (ratrher than OR)

OR

* You can give up the extra parry and make an addtional close combat attack without the -20%

OR

* You may add the APs of both your of weapons together when parrying, AND you use the lower of youy applicable weapon skills.

New Legendary Abilities are the perfect ground for player tinkering (and for Open Content, for that matter).

Just one note - these are not meant to be simple feats. They should do things that are truly legendary (in varying degrees, of course).

msprange said:
New Legendary Abilities are the perfect ground for player tinkering (and for Open Content, for that matter).

Just one note - these are not meant to be simple feats. They should do things that are truly legendary (in varying degrees, of course).

Ah, more like mythic feats (historical defintion rather than D&D). So more like Salmon Leap than Improved Intiative.

O.K. so I guess we should have ground rules on the difference between a "good move" and a "LEGENDARY ABILITY". Is it possible to get the guidelines Mongoose was using when they wrote the Legendary Abilities into Runequest.

atgxtg said:
Ah, more like mythic feats (historical defintion rather than D&D). So more like Salmon Leap than Improved Intiative.

Yes - Improved Initiative would be _such_ a waste of a Legendary Ability. . .

Fiddler said:
O.K. so I guess we should have ground rules on the difference between a "good move" and a "LEGENDARY ABILITY". Is it possible to get the guidelines Mongoose was using when they wrote the Legendary Abilities into Runequest.

You will see more when Legendary Heroes comes along at the end of September. However, it is also going to be a matter of personal taste and the power level of the campaigns you want to run. It should, perhaps, also be setting dependant. . .

Going back to the idea of a modular system, maybe legnendary abilities could be sorted by how realsitic, heroic, cinematic, mythic thety are. Put all the amazing things that people can really do toghether, and all the superheroic stuff in another section.

Then we could browse and select stuff for a campaign based upon our own prefereces, and tell the players somethine like-"You can use all the realsitic and heroic stuff, buy you can't take the superhuman stuff."

The book just saort of lumped them together, with reastic stuff like duelllist together with wall walking.

Reap the Whirlwind

Requirements: Dex 15, 90% with spears or staves

Hero Points: 8

As a Reaction to a ranged attack you may parry them at the base skill of the weapon you are using. You may use this to deflect one or all incoming *projectiles.

*Common sense dictates one cannot parry projectiles that are several sizes larger than yourself. So no parrying catapult shots unless you are a giant. As well as magical effects are exempt from this ability. However, most arrows, bolts and sling bullets are fair game.

This feat is relatively common in both Eastern and Western literature and I was amazed not to find it in the Core book.

Of course, if you really want to be fancy, you can add one or two handed swords to the list of allowed weapons and bump the cost to 10.

Heh. I personally find a tad more 'heroic' as it was described to me in those various tales I've heard or read about.

I have one more, a variation on Wall Leap, called Wall Run, which simulates the Prince Of Persia's ability of the same name, but I'm not sure how much it should cost, nor how long a distance it should go...

Nagisawa said:
Heh. I personally find a tad more 'heroic' as it was described to me in those various tales I've heard or read about.

THa's okay, I can't use "reap the Whirlwind" with a katana anyway.

Nagisawa said:
I have one more, a variation on Wall Leap, called Wall Run, which simulates the Prince Of Persia's ability of the same name, but I'm not sure how much it should cost, nor how long a distance it should go...

Hmm, when he dies fits PoP but might be a bit much. How about indefinate buyt the character has to make a persistience test to keep it up each minute.? You could up the difficulty every minute too.

homerjsinnott said:
atgxtg said:
Tandem Use

Edited for more fun.

Daisy, Dayzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I don't know, the handlebars are loose, the chain is rusty, and there isn't much air left in the tires.

The bike looks good though!

118fs485493.gif

atgxtg said:
homerjsinnott said:
atgxtg said:
Tandem Use

Edited for more fun.

Daisy, Dayzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I don't know, the handlebars are loose, the chain is rusty, and there isn't much air left in the tires.
The bike looks good though!

118fs485493.gif

Hey, thats a half truth!

And anyway, 2001 references are always good.

( I just had this image of two vikings ona bike with battleaxes in hand)

homerjsinnott said:
( I just had this image of two vikings ona bike with battleaxes in hand)

Vahalla or bust?

Ride by Ax tossings? (Saxon Violence!)

Why Vikings? Am I missing a reference or is it a pet nerosis?

I really want to avoid the feat silliness that D&D has descended into, where you pay money so you have more official feats to chose from. So I will use all Legendary Abilities as examples and encourage my players to create their own. And it should be something spectacular!

You don't just use two weapons well; you move your blades so fast that for a split second you have four arms and four blades, each capable of attacking or parrying!

I like the Hammer Hand ability. The idea that you summon your Ki and shatter solid stone with your fist or send your opponent flying through the air as if a giant swept him up. That's cool and worthy of legendary tales.

Obviously there should be some type of limit to the number of times you could use such abilities. Is this built into the rules? If not maybe they could advance you a fatigue level and tire you out more quickly.

I don't know if I should post this... :oops:

legendary abilities remind me of the Ki abilities in Land of Ninja. Back in the day I adapted these Ki powers to normal Gloranthan use and used them as heroquest rewards, powerful enchantments, that sort of thing.

A couple of years ago it struck me that there is another source for inspiring heroquest abilities - Exalted charms :shock:

Nagisawa said:

Wall leap already allows that. The very first sentence in it's description says "Displaying incredible agility, you can run along or up walls.... blah, blah".

Simon Hibbs

Sigtrygg said:
I don't know if I should post this... :oops:

legendary abilities remind me of the Ki abilities in Land of Ninja. Back in the day I adapted these Ki powers to normal Gloranthan use and used them as heroquest rewards, powerful enchantments, that sort of thing.

A couple of years ago it struck me that there is another source for inspiring heroquest abilities - Exalted charms :shock:

I wanted to swipe Ki skills for Agents of Law in a Strombringer campaign to help offself the advatages that Magic gave Chaos worshippers.

I hope andakitty sees this one. :)

Back