Legend Unveiled

DamonJynx said:
Apparently a lot of posters are more concerned with the look of the book rather than what's inside. For $10 I don't see why it's such an issue.

Who can blame them as this is a thread about the cover after all. Between Legend and RQ6 the former should have been premier product and the latter about content. Now it starts look like Legend will be beaten every turn.

It's a good cover, could use abit more action/motion but otherwise not bad, will definitly stand out on the shop shelf unlike other generic looking sword and sorcery covers that probably do more to alienate younger players from trying the game than atract them.

The art used resembles Marvel & Dc comics more than anime or manga though so i dont get the hatred(though most people who claim something looks too anime have barely ever actually watched much nor read any manga from my experience), one last thing for those who claim to looks like manga comics thats impossible as manga is the word for comicbook in 90% of asia(now manga book is acceptable as most tankobon are around the size of a small novel).

Its not the worst cover I've seen, but it doesn't quite work together.

The female figures aren't that bad and don't have that badly exposed cleavage, but they're doing nothing other than posing for the camera. The chap in the armour is lifeless and inanimate... its a bit dull lacking any action.
It isn't that the artwork is bad, in fact it looks to be pretty competent, but it is really more suited as interior artwork to illustrate a given character rather than that for a cover - It doesn't convey anything about the game.

The Logo's lettering/style is Ok but not sure about the lumpy blue encapsulating frame.
Perhaps a strap line might have been useful.

When compared to the Age of Treason's cover, Legend feels a bit sterile and lacking in mood.

But at a tenner I'll probably pick up a copy. Just for a fully errata-ed copy of the rules.

chanss said:
Below, A good cover in contrast to the seriously uncool, part Cartonish and part Naive styled above one

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/common_incs/popup.php?id=rqageoftreason.jpg

Only my personal opinion ofcourse!! :oops:

In fairness, much as I'm delighted people seem to appreciate the AoT cover, it's not really a fair comparison - AoT is not a 9.99 book.

Simulacrum said:
chanss said:
Below, A good cover in contrast to the seriously uncool, part Cartonish and part Naive styled above one

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/common_incs/popup.php?id=rqageoftreason.jpg

Only my personal opinion ofcourse!! :oops:

In fairness, much as I'm delighted people seem to appreciate the AoT cover, it's not really a fair comparison - AoT is not a 9.99 book.

9.99 is crazy cheap, thats good ofcourse. Why not make a clean one collored cover. Keep it simple. Something like Silver for base with Gothic lettering in Glossy black, and some weapons and a spellbook maybe spiced up with a blooded scythe and a monstrous claw or somesuch, showing its a fantasy themed RPG.

Keep it kinda strict.

Anyway, i didnt mean to stir up any here and many people think the cover is fine as its look now.

As long as we have art that doesn't embody the content, lets go all the way.

Picture this, hot naked asian girl with full frontal nudity.

Now that would get my attention every time!!

I'm on Siesta in Rome and waaaay to relaxed to offer more of an explanation than that.
Lucky, I've never even been to Europe. I can only dream of a vacation like that!

Ack!

The guy - a whiny anime loser.

The chicks - typical anime tits with powers. The one on the left has a little character, the one on the right looks like someone reanimated the corpse of Firiona Vie (the EQ Logo Chick).

Damn, are you guys trying to kill off the rpg line? Just go black with cool silver lettering, or better yet, buy a real piece of art for god's sake.

Lord Kruge said:
Ack!

The guy - a whiny anime loser.

The chicks - typical anime tits with powers. The one on the left has a little character, the one on the right looks like someone reanimated the corpse of Firiona Vie (the EQ Logo Chick).

Damn, are you guys trying to kill off the rpg line? Just go black with cool silver lettering, or better yet, buy a real piece of art for god's sake.

lol been waiting for somebody to claim its too anime :) fact is its no more anime than superman or spiderman but dont let that stop you from making with the rant about anime's evil encroachment into your hobby even if its a deadend agrument with zero credibility.

dont let that stop you from making with the rant about anime's evil encroachment into your hobby even if its a deadend agrument with zero credibility

Gee, some people love their anime. I don't get the appeal.

Jujitsudave said:
dont let that stop you from making with the rant about anime's evil encroachment into your hobby even if its a deadend agrument with zero credibility
Gee, some people love their anime. I don't get the appeal.
A personal opinion everyone is entitled to, which doesn't make claims that the Legend cover is anime/manga any less wrong.

languagegeek said:
DamonJynx said:
But hey, it is only $10.00 and as long as the content outshines the cover...
I thought it was $20.00??
RuneQuestII at Legendary Prices said:
the new Legend line will be published in our 'half-size' format, priced at $19.99/£9.99

Hey, I'm in Australia and only have a $ sign, not a pound sterling symbol! Even at $20.00USD it's not a bad buy!

Jujitsudave said:
I'm on Siesta in Rome and waaaay to relaxed to offer more of an explanation than that.
Lucky, I've never even been to Europe. I can only dream of a vacation like that!

The real question is why he is speaking Spanish in Italy?

soltakss said:
Jujitsudave said:
You may want to consider a different cover. Something with a medieval flair, perhaps?

As opposed to a knight in armour and two women in medieval clothing?

Ah! The medieval times, where women were notorious for displaying their boobs widely in public. I so miss those times.

---
Price is good, but allow me to be an annoying blunt idiot:
[Rant]
The artwork is bad, sorry to rant about this like everybody else has been doing, but it is plain bad.

It is not manga style, that is granted, that doesn't speak for or against it, but the style is not manga. Their clothing is kindda manga, though.

Lets then look past the style of artistry, and look at the work itself.

The guy in the front, how is his hilt shaped? Look at how his hands are positioned, and either he is pressing his left hand really hard against his sword, or his hilt isn't straight, whatever it is, it seems weird. His forearm is also too long, so it looks weird. I know exaggerating this enhances the 3d perspective style thing, but this is just too much. Ulna and Radius (the bones in the forearm) is about the same length as Humerus (the bone from the should to the forearm). Try picturing this guy putting a hand on his own shoulder. He can't and he is even wearing armour, which shouldn't lengthen his arms, but should exaggerate his shoulders.
Should we look beyond this, at his face, this article has a relatively good section about cheek bones. At the end, and tells us that. Cheek bones are supposed to be right under your pupil when looking straight ahead, This guy is looking straight ahead, but his cheek bones are way out to the side. And a little too high, making his look rather boyish and feminine.
Lets go on, to his ears, those are bat ears, which is fine, that does appear sometimes in people, however, look at the woman to his left, her ears are like that as well, and the last chick has her ears covered, perhaps to hide the shame that she is the only person in this group who doesn't have bat ears.

Let us now go on, and look at the woman to his right (the I don't have bat ears, girl). This zombie girl, as I have come to denominate her from looking at this picture looks at something in the distance, with dead eyes. This girl is relatively well done, mainly because the artist managed to cover up most of her features with her clothes, hair and hat. Still that chin hiding in her cloak, is still weird.

The long-necked woman on his left? Don't get me started, just look at her, is that how anybody looks? Her neck, her necklace. her hand, her arm, her robe. Just about everything on this woman seems weird.

[/rant]

Going on to the things I like, well, I like how this picture portrays the 3 basic magic systems (from left to right, spirit magic, divine magic, sorcery) very well. Also, the wind is pretty well consistent in their hair, which is, overall nicely done, which might be why some people mistake this for manga.

Also, at a tenner, I could be interested in picking this up. However, I still am at a loss of how to get other people into the hobby by showing them that.

tl;dr: No!

I've seen worse - I have seen awful lot better - the Age of Treason cover is really lovely.

Maybe the right hand sorceress has animated /controlled the other two who do have a very vacant look about them.

re pretty girls on covers all for it :) thats what I have been know to do :)

Contents - so in the end is there anything actually different from RQII inside - ie are the rules issues sorted out?

That will determine, I think, if MGP get any re-sales from those who bought RQII (although not me at this juncture)

Back